Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Job/work situation - 9-5 just isnt cutting it anymore...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job/work situation - 9-5 just isnt cutting it anymore...

I can't even believe I'm saying this now, after 8 years of higher education followed by a intense desire to climb the career ladder....but dammit, I just don't WANT to work 9-5pm everyday. I feel clausterphobic and depressed even thinking about having a corporate life (I`m an investment banker), tied to a computer and cubicle with little or no natural sunlight. I want something different, something just....more.

Has anyone else experienced this since going Primal......
    You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
    Margaret Thatcher

Originally posted by jennachica View Post
    I can't even believe I'm saying this now, after 8 years of higher education followed by a intense desire to climb the career ladder....but dammit, I just don't WANT to work 9-5pm everyday. I feel clausterphobic and depressed even thinking about having a corporate life (I`m an investment banker), tied to a computer and cubicle with little or no natural sunlight. I want something different, something just....more.

I've had that my entire working career. Maybe you're just burnt? Investment banking isn't an easy thing especially now. I used to work for a brokerage so I can sympathize to an extent.
    Georgette

Comment

i've never really been interested in the 9-5 office thing (even though that's similar to what i do now), but i've noticed my distaste for it even more since going primal. i'm finding that keeping myself active enough outside of work helps get me through the day, but i'm always looking for something a little more exciting. i've been interviewing for more desky-type jobs lately, but i'm holding out for a white mountains sherpa job.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I've never been the corporate type. Even though I've worked a desk job the last 10 years it's been in the music business so it's much more laid back than your average corporate culture. I now freelance but for the same company that I worked for before, which is a brilliant thing about computers. Is it possible for you to telecommute or freelance? This is a happy medium for me. I can set my own hours as long as I get the work done. If I want to do my shopping in the afternoon, go to the park, get out and move around, I can. Since I'm at home I can eat when and what I want, start early and put in hours after dinner. And I bought a laptop specifically to be able to get out of the house. Most of downtown has free wi-fi so I'm planning on looking for a park that I can use as an office. I work in coffee shops sometimes as well on those occasions when I feel like I'm gonna go crazy if I don't see another face.
        Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

It's why I want to be a professor. Academic schedule; no 9-5 bullshit.
          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Become a stay at home mom. Some days I would KILL for 9-5
            MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

I love being a 9-5'er. That job pays my bills, provides me with health care benefits and a pension, and keeps a roof over my head. Now, outside those hours? I do anything but that job! I'm single, so there's only my income to make ends meet on and it can be tight, but having a steady paycheque is a huge relief. I didn't always have that. Outside of those hours though, my time is mine and I enjoy myself.
              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                It's why I want to be a professor. Academic schedule; no 9-5 bullshit.
                Same here...I want to be a math prof
                "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

... wait, you're an i-banker and you work 9-5?! you don't work 80 hours a week??

Comment

There's a great success story in the website (I don't think it's in the forum) of a young guy who gave up his corporate job and joined the Peace Corps, moving to a remote island in the Pacific, who began to live a very primal lifestyle. It was a very appealing story for me!
                    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Comment

Live with less, and there will be less need to work at a job you hate. Took me a long time to learn that.

Comment

I've never worked 9-5. The closest I've come to regular hours was when I was managing an office and worked 8am - 6pm most days, 8am - 8pm on Tuesdays. Now I manage a restaurant and my shifts are SUPPOSED to be eight hours, but I never get out without going and hour or two past that. Of course it is salary so I don't get paid over time. My shifts start as early as 5am or can keep me there as late as midnight. On one hand when I worked in offices the days were long and so boring I wanted to scream, but it was a regular schedule with set days off. Now my days are always busy, lots happening, but he hours are long and I never get set days off (if I manage to not have to go in on a day off ). I average about 55 - 60 hours a week, and have 45 - an hour commute on either end of that. I wouldn't mind so much if I was single but my schedule annoys my husband and my family. We are trying to have a baby and I have no idea how I will keep this up once pregnant let alone raise a child working this way. But the pay is good and the benefits are excellent.
                        All the same I get jealous of my sister who is a teacher and gets every holiday off, the summer, spring break etc etc and is finished work every day by 4pm.
                        The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Comment

YES. Although, I'm in Telecom IT, not the financial world. But crouching over a computer in a cubicle is not for this chica either. I am planning my escape.
                          Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

One of my bigger goals in life is to be free from fluorescent lighting as much as humanly possible (and the sheeple CW co-workers that usually go with that).
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by imasin View Post
                              ... wait, you're an i-banker and you work 9-5?! you don't work 80 hours a week??
                              hahah no, I just quote the 9-5pm as a reference to the typical office job. It`s actually USUALLY 8:30am-6-6:30pm, sometimes later.
                              I try and schedule me time, aka gym before work, but to tell you the truth, I am mentally exhausted by 6pm to even consider after-work `me`time that doesnt involve making dinner and vegging watching Law and Order.......
                              You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
                              Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Working...
                              X