Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know you are primal when...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When the holiday dinner at work rolls around, and you have to promise to leave a little meat for everybody else. Because they know by now.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Markbt View Post
      When you ask for dark chocolate and hope people don't get you the cheap artificially flavored 60% "dark" chocolate. 90% at minimum, please.
      When something made with supposedly "dark" chocolate is made from those sickly sweet regular chocolate chips. Yuk!

      Originally posted by Markbt View Post
      Pork rinds are better than crackers for everything. Try then with guacamole.
      Pork rinds with salsa.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        When something made with supposedly "dark" chocolate is made from those sickly sweet regular chocolate chips. Yuk!



        Pork rinds with salsa.
        Pork rinds with anything. I had them with cheesy spinach artichoke dip this week, delicious.

        Comment


        • ... Your family gets you five bars of 72-88% dark chocolate for Christmas. Oh nom nom nom.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
            ... Your family gets you five bars of 72-88% dark chocolate for Christmas. Oh nom nom nom.

            When the 72% they got you is way too sweet and you go home for some 90%.

            Comment


            • When you cannot for the life of you understand what everyone else has against stairs. They line up to fit on a narrow escalator and ignore the wide open completely empty stairs. I had a couple of hours to wait for a train the other day, and went in and out of the station, up and down the stairs a couple of times. I saw about three other people going down them, and not one going up. What am I missing here?

              Comment


              • When you flee out the back door at the end of your volunteer shifts because your fellow volunteers are so kind and well-meaning that they will insist upon giving you a ride. And they just don't seem to understand that yes, you really do want to walk all the way home, because it's only three miles and it's not raining hard at all, and that big hill on the way? You love it because you remember thinking you were going to DIE the first time you walked it, but now you can haul ass right on up it as if it were nothing.

                ETA: At least once a week, someone looks at you in utter shock and asks, "You walked here?!"

                When you haven't set foot on an escalator in months. I'm with Hilary; the extent to which most people are stair-avoidant baffles me.

                When you own enough pairs of VFFs to run a special laundry load just for them (okay, a small load, but still). And you have a plain black pair that have somehow taken on the role of "dress shoes."
                Last edited by Artemis67; 12-31-2013, 08:04 PM.

                Comment


                • When you have a chocolate box and instead of feeling like eating it, you feel angry that it even exists and that there are people getting money by selling that s***, and then you throw the box away as if those chocolates were poison(in fact they are). OR when you hang out with friends and dont even care about their comments (of how you have lost your mind doing a "weird" and "non sense" diet), instead of using that old technique of "eating socially".

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Artemis67 View Post
                    When you flee out the back door at the end of your volunteer shifts because your fellow volunteers are so kind and well-meaning that they will insist upon giving you a ride. And they just don't seem to understand that yes, you really do want to walk all the way home, because it's only three miles and it's not raining hard at all, and that big hill on the way? You love it because you remember thinking you were going to DIE the first time you walked it, but now you can haul ass right on up it as if it were nothing.

                    ETA: At least once a week, someone looks at you in utter shock and asks, "You walked here?!"

                    When you haven't set foot on an escalator in months. I'm with Hilary; the extent to which most people are stair-avoidant baffles me.

                    When you own enough pairs of VFFs to run a special laundry load just for them (okay, a small load, but still). And you have a plain black pair that have somehow taken on the role of "dress shoes."
                    Yup, people are weird. It's all the weirder for me as I'm short, 41, somewhat overweight, not particularly fit, absolutely not remotely sporty, ever, at all… and there are people half my age and probably about 65% of my weight acting as if the stairs were strictly 'down only'.

                    I know how you feel about your hill, too. There's one on the way home that I couldn't cycle up without stopping a few years ago, and now I do it without noticing. And yes... 'You cycled?!?'

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                      Yup, people are weird. It's all the weirder for me as I'm short, 41, somewhat overweight, not particularly fit, absolutely not remotely sporty, ever, at all… and there are people half my age and probably about 65% of my weight acting as if the stairs were strictly 'down only'.
                      I'm tall, but I'm 46, still need to drop some more weight, and don't look particularly athletic at all. And I'm amazed at how people my age might as well be 20-30 years older, given how they can barely seem to exert themselves, even if they aren't overweight, and don't have some sort of disability. I'm also constantly amazed at how many of my contemporaries are on multiple prescription drugs, too.

                      Compared to a lot of people here at MDA, I'm really out of shape. Yet I can walk for miles without even thinking about it; readily climb hills and stairs; break into an all-out sprint for a couple of blocks to catch a bus without difficulty; touch the palms of my hands flat to the floor without bending my knees; squat for extended periods while working in the yard; sit cross-legged on the floor; and carry a 40-lb bag of cat litter on my shoulder the 1.25 miles to my house without much trouble. And you'd think I was some ultra-fit Superwoman, given the way people react to what I consider a basic, functional level of physical fitness.

                      Even weirder, a lot of these same people have gym memberships, and are surprised that I don't, or that I don't set aside time to "work out." They'll go do 30-60 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical machine every evening after work, yet still see my walking everywhere and carrying groceries home as some sort of hardship. To exert oneself at all is either a bit of necessary drudgery requiring special equipment, or a punishment for dietary sins. It's never just a natural part of life.

                      It's just baffling. But a lot of things baffle me, these days. Especially supermarkets, which sell so much stuff that is just NOT FOOD, no matter how edible it may be.

                      I know how you feel about your hill, too. There's one on the way home that I couldn't cycle up without stopping a few years ago, and now I do it without noticing. And yes... 'You cycled?!?'
                      Sometime in the next month or two, I'm going to buy myself my first bike since I was a kid. And I'm really looking forward to going a lot further and faster, and all under my own steam!

                      Comment


                      • Artemis when you get your bike I suggest you get a rack and 2 bicycle grocery bag panniers. I have something similar to these:
                        Grocery Bag Pannier | | broadwaybicycleschool.com. They are very sturdy, just clip on to the bike and hold a lot.
                        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                        Comment


                        • When you want to throw a party because your friend started eating Paleo
                          Height: 5'2"
                          Starting weight: 180lbs
                          Current weight 130lbs

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                            Artemis when you get your bike I suggest you get a rack and 2 bicycle grocery bag panniers. I have something similar to these:
                            Grocery Bag Pannier | | broadwaybicycleschool.com. They are very sturdy, just clip on to the bike and hold a lot.
                            Hear, hear. If you can get one that lifts off, that would be even better. (I have panniers, but hard to remove, and when I have a lot of shopping it takes me 10 minutes to transfer it from bags to panniers.) And maybe bungee cords for anything too big for the panniers. (I'm cheerily assuming you will try to take all your shopping for the week home on the bike.)

                            Theory: for women, using your full physical strength where other people can see is somehow embarrassing. After orchestra, putting chairs away... again, there's no way I'm the only woman there who can lift 3 or 4 chairs together up to head height (my head height, that is!) onto a stack - but I think I'm the only one who does. Maybe it's thought unfeminine or something?

                            Comment


                            • When picking up a bundle of kale and a couple grass fed ribeyes on the way home from work is your idea of fast food.

                              Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                                Hear, hear. If you can get one that lifts off, that would be even better. (I have panniers, but hard to remove, and when I have a lot of shopping it takes me 10 minutes to transfer it from bags to panniers.) And maybe bungee cords for anything too big for the panniers. (I'm cheerily assuming you will try to take all your shopping for the week home on the bike.)
                                The kind I have lift right off the rack. I take them into the store with me load up the groceries directly into the panniers and when I get home I simply lift them off and carry them into the house. I think the ones I linked to work the same way.
                                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X