No announcement yet.

My Blood Glucose Experiment Scary Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I so completely and totally agree with you that it's entirely different when women try to lose fat and gain their health compared to when men do it. Sometimes I see fat men and I absolutely cannot sympathize with them. I know that's mean spirited, and I hate it when I feel that way, but the truth of the matter is that it's just a hell of a lot easier for them.

According to this lean body mass calculator my lean body mass is estimated to be 118 pounds, or 53.6 kilograms. Kurt recommends "If lean mass were 60 kg, 60 g would be better." in reference to his thought that my daily average of 91 g of protein is too much.

So, using his formula of 1 g of protein per 1 kg of lean body mass, then it sounds like I should be consuming 53.6 g of daily protein. He's also saying, in reference to my body's response to the glucose experiment, that "it's actually not terrible glucose handling," and then goes on to say that "70 g a day of carbs might be worth trying."

What that ends up with, on 1,200 calories per day (which seems to be the perfect amount for me to lose about 1/2 a pound per week) is the following:

70 g of carbs (280 calories)
    54 g of protein (216 calories)
    78 g of fat (704 calories)

It took me a while to calculate what a day might look like under this regimen, and I must admit that it looks a bit odd to me as I haven't eaten a potato for at least 18 months. Here's an example that comes in pretty closely on FitDay:

1 oz butter
    1 oz heavy cream
    4 oz cooked ground beef
    2 large eggs
    5 oz baked potato
    5 oz raw tomato
    1 cup cooked green beans
    5 oz baked sweet potato
    --------------------------------
    Calories: 1,182
    Fat: 78.7 g (59%)
    Carbs: 71 g (24%)
    Protein: 51.1 (17%)

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharonll View Post

1 oz butter
      1 oz heavy cream
      4 oz cooked ground beef
      2 large eggs
      5 oz baked potato
      5 oz raw tomato
      1 cup cooked green beans
      5 oz baked sweet potato
      --------------------------------
      Calories: 1,182
      Fat: 78.7 g (59%)
      Carbs: 71 g (24%)
      Protein: 51.1 (17%)

What do you think?
      I think carb variability and nutrient density are really important:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post396918
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post397539

Along with being watchful and aware of your own experience.

Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Hi,

That is a hard balance to strike isn't it. He implied your glucose handling was reasonable and I guess hence him saying you could eat more carbs.

I played with Fitday and came up with this

1 egg
        3 oz beef
        2 oz salmon
        My estimation of a Big Ass Salad (70 calories and 15 g of carbs)
        4 oz carrots
        1 oz butter
        3 florets of brocolli
        1 fl oz cream
        40 g of 85% chocolate
        5 oz cooked yam

1196 calories, 75.9 g fat, 76.3 g carbs, 55.9 g protein

56% fat 19% protein 25% carbs

I guess you could give it a try but why were you particularly wanting to move away from vlc when it's working for fat loss or do you think there could be an advantage to having more? Provided you are handling the carbs OK at this higher level it would certainly seem to fulfil your protein requirement and the fat is low enough to ensure your body would need to burn adipose to fuel itself. And the selection of food looks like a nice day of eating? I suspect the only issue would be that you might feel hungry (with the extra carbs and lower protein?

Seems like getting the ac1 checked out is the most important marker to see what you are working with.
        Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kelda View Post
          I guess you could give it a try but why were you particularly wanting to move away from vlc when it's working for fat loss or do you think there could be an advantage to having more?
          Honestly, Kelda, I'm feeling a bit bewildered right now. I was absolutely thrilled with my fat loss this last month on VLC, and I'm really scared to move up to higher carbs. I'm probably carb-phobic at this point, which isn't so good either.

I'm freaked out with the weird blood glucose numbers, so I'm going to concentrate on getting to the bottom of that first. If I need to have three 150-gram carb days in order to get accurate readings, that's going to screw me up right there. I had a hard time figuring out how to eat 70g of carbs, so I don't really know how to eat twice that amount. Oh, my, just listen to me! Hard to believe there was a time in my life when I couldn't have figured out how to get my carbs DOWN to 150g per day. LOL!

Comment

Honestly, Kelda, I'm feeling a bit bewildered right now. I was absolutely thrilled with my fat loss this last month on VLC, and I'm really scared to move up to higher carbs. I'm probably carb-phobic at this point, which isn't so good either.
            If you felt well through March and are feeling well now I would say stick with what you know. You can always creep them up a little over several days and see how you go once you feel more comfortable with the whole concept. Human beings do not NEED carbs so carrying on as you are isn't a problem. And you've found excellent science to back up that you are doing fine. I don't think you need to carb load for the ac1? Why don't you just ask your new doc to do that test first. If it looks good I wouldn't sweat over doing a proper fasted (having carb loaded) test. Strikes me that's a bit like the tail wagging the dog. Hey I wonder if my leg's broken, best I break the other one to see how they compare!

Oh, my, just listen to me! Hard to believe there was a time in my life when I couldn't have figured out how to get my carbs DOWN to 150g per day. LOL!
            Indeed! I can't believe how hard it was to get the carbs up, I was racking my brains thinking what to add! Fruit of course is probably the answer, apples are around 19 g of carbs for each one. To think when I was racing triathlon my coach used to make me consume around 60 g of carb an HOUR! No wonder I could never sleep after a race.

Comment

Indeed! I can't believe how hard it was to get the carbs up, I was racking my brains thinking what to add! Fruit of course is probably the answer, apples are around 19 g of carbs for each one. To think when I was racing triathlon my coach used to make me consume around 60 g of carb an HOUR! No wonder I could never sleep after a race.
              I am not planning on changing much of anything until after I see this new doctor. Maybe I'll get really lucky and she'll understand low carb! That would be a blessing.

You know, until you mentioned it right now, I hadn't even thought of using fruit in my sample day. I never eat fruit at all any more, so it was just gone out of my mind.

Comment

Just Being My Happy Self

The last few days have found me thinking a lot about this blood glucose issue, and even though I am still confused, I’m not as worried as I was on Saturday. I’ve been eating a healthy low carb diet for the past 18 months, and the month of March was VLC and low calorie, with an average per day of less than 1,200 calories and less than 18 grams of carbs. I don’t eat grains or sugar, and the only seed oils I’ve consumed are the very rare occasions when I’ve been unsure of the cooking method in a restaurant. Usually, I just try to avoid anything questionable.

For the last 18 months I’ve consumed a lot of heavy cream and eaten cheese a few times per week, eaten lots of both conventional and grass fed beef, eaten eggs from my back yard chickens in the summer and conventional eggs in the winter, and stuck with non-starchy vegetables and avoided fruit of all kinds. Especially during March, when I completed avoided dairy, I’m consistently losing weight and I feel great.

When I think in terms of health improvements since I started here are some that quickly come to mind:
                • My chronic aches and pains are completely gone.
                • My hair is healthy, nails are strong, skin unblemished.
                • Digestion is great, especially for someone with no gall bladder.
                • Energy levels are astonishing. I can run circles around most people half my age.
                • My weight is at least 50 pounds better than it was.
                • I can easily fast 18 hours without hunger.
                • My hypertension is almost gone.
                • I’m never depressed, but instead I’m upbeat and positive.
                • My brain works just fine.
                • I sleep soundly, just maybe not quite as long as I’d like to.
                Honestly, I can’t think of a single thing to complain about. For a 55-year old woman, I think I’m doing very well.
                The only thing I’m worried about is the chronically elevated blood glucose, so I want to get to the bottom of that. Maybe also a bit curious about my cholesterol levels, too.

I can’t locate my results from 2010 right now, but I do recall that my fasting blood glucose was 113 at that time, which is the same as it was a year later.
                Here were my results from 1/27/2011:
                Fasting Blood Glucose: 113
                Cholesterol: 265
                Triglyceride: 89
                HDL: 69
                LDL: 178

My doctor included the note: "Your cholesterol is way out of whack. I am suggesting a repeat test in 3 months. I would suggest medications to lower your cholesterol." — I'm presuming she means that if she doesn't see an "improvement" she'll suggest medication, which I'd refuse, but I'm not going back to her anyway.

Here I am, just a bit over two months later, with the results of several of my own fasting blood glucose tests, a few postprandial tests, and a homemade oral glucose tolerance test, wondering whether I’m diabetic. It’s hard to know what to make of that worry. Why, when I’m feeling so good, am I worried about my blood glucose levels? Should I just put the worry out of my mind and carry on? Trust that my body, eating what we evolved to eat, is taking care of itself just fine?

For the last two days, I’ve successfully kept my carbs below 20 grams per day, and I feel perfectly fine. I will go see my new doctor tomorrow, tell her about myself, and see what she says. Depending on what kind of tests she requests, I’ll then be able to make up my mind whether I want to go through three days of elevated carbs (150 grams per day) to establish baseline levels. It feels like a complete sabotage of all my efforts, and based on the results of my experiment last week, and the subsequent rapid weight gain after drinking the high-sugar juice, I am extremely reluctant to carry out that kind of high carb regimen.

Meanwhile, I’m back to eating as close to zero carb as possible. Meat and eggs during the day, maybe a few veggies in the evening, maybe not, and still focused clearly on my weight goals and keeping the health I’ve obtained. Until I know differently, I am going to assume, based on the health indicators I’ve outlined above, that my body is functioning exactly as it’s supposed to. I want to move away from this obsession with blood glucose levels and get on with my happy life!

Comment

Congratulations - I was going to post a note to you this morning along the same lines.

If everything is working why change anything, you are feeling great, all your health indicators are improving. As for the cholesterol it's all about the ratio than bald figures (there are many experts on this forum who can explain that bit for you). You know from what Peter wrote over at Hyperlipid that he has residually high fasted glucose and you know the science why. So quit worrying until your body starts telling you something isn't right because from all you've written it's jumping for joy and performing beautifully and will continue to deliver the results you are aiming for.

Like you I'm pretty carbphobic myself now I know how they were totally responsible for 25 years of battling bipolar disorder - if I'd have known then what I know now I would have saved a huge amount of heartache!

It's about taking responsibility for your own health and making reasoned educated decisions - you've found what works so stay with it. I blogged about that aspect today after reading one of the links from Mark's post yesterday - accountability to yourself is what counts.
                  Last edited by Kelda; 04-04-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Congratulations - I was going to post a note to you this morning along the same lines.

If everything is working why change anything, you are feeling great, all your health indicators are improving. It's about taking responsibility for your own health and making reasoned educated descisions - you've found what works so stay with it. I blogged about that aspect today after reading one of the links from Mark's post yesterday - accountability to yourself is what counts.
                    Thank you, Kelda! It sounds like we're thinking totally the same. What's your blog URL?

Comment

Adventures of a Cavegirl

Comment

Great blog! I totally enjoyed your most recent post (and I agree, BTW) and I look forward to reading the rest of your content soon.

Comment

It is very varied in what it covers! I have blogged less of late as I've been so busy researching. Only so many hours in the day.

Comment

It is very varied in what it covers! I have blogged less of late as I've been so busy researching. Only so many hours in the day.
                            I hear you. Same issue with my own blog. We can only do what we can do. :-)

Comment

Hi Sharon - what an interesting trip through the science! Every time I do it, I'm convinced that the only way forward is to be our own 'walking chemistry experiment'. One thing I did find interesting, though, is that the lean body mass calculator then provides an ideal body weight based on 22%bf for women - but comes up with a lower weight than the LBM! I keep looking at it to see if I've got it wrong, but this is what it says . . .

Results:
                              According to your measurements - weight of 211 pounds and height of 5' 6", your lean body mass is estimated to be 119.32 . Since the ideal body fat percentage for women is 22%, your ideal lean body weight is 101.88 pounds. Remember these are guidelines; your physician should help you determine the ideal weight and body fat for you.

You may be thinking that your lean body mass is your ideal weight or your weight if you were a true "lean machine." Well, it’s not. Your lean body mass is sum of the nonfat parts of your body like muscle, organs, blood and water.

That'd put me at about 45kgs, which would have me in a wheelchair. Is that how you read it?
                              Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Originally posted by Jac View Post
                                Hi Sharon - what an interesting trip through the science! Every time I do it, I'm convinced that the only way forward is to be our own 'walking chemistry experiment'. One thing I did find interesting, though, is that the lean body mass calculator then provides an ideal body weight based on 22%bf for women - but comes up with a lower weight than the LBM! I keep looking at it to see if I've got it wrong, but this is what it says . . .

Results:
                                According to your measurements - weight of 211 pounds and height of 5' 6", your lean body mass is estimated to be 119.32 . Since the ideal body fat percentage for women is 22%, your ideal lean body weight is 101.88 pounds. Remember these are guidelines; your physician should help you determine the ideal weight and body fat for you.

You may be thinking that your lean body mass is your ideal weight or your weight if you were a true "lean machine." Well, it’s not. Your lean body mass is sum of the nonfat parts of your body like muscle, organs, blood and water.

That'd put me at about 45kgs, which would have me in a wheelchair. Is that how you read it?
                                Nope, it means that this represents 78% of your goal weight! That is the lean mass they are quoting, you need to be lean plus 22% of fat! So your goal is 129.5 lbs which is what I currently weigh a 5 5.5 and very athletic - I'd say that was the lower end for a 'regular' person :-) - don't forget this is not an exact science!
                                Last edited by Kelda; 04-04-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X