No announcement yet.

coconut oil=acne, flu-like symptoms?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coconut oil=acne, flu-like symptoms?!?

I love coconut oil. I crave coconut oil. But coconut oil seems to be making me and my partner sick.

We ate a lot of it a week or so ago, meaning we cooked with it at every meal. I had been doing this for a while, when I was at my farm, but he hadn't. He promptly came down with flu-like symptoms: fatigue, sore throat, achy muscles. This lasted two days.

Earlier, I had noticed the fatigue after, say, 2-3 T of coconut oil in a day. But my main symptom is aggravation of my rosacea to the point that it looks like ordinary acne. I am 57 years old, and my skin is actually dry, even where the acne is!

I have read about Herxheimer reactions, which this must be. But how to deal with it and still get the healing goodness of EVCO? I have reduced my dose to 1/8 tsp/day, as of today. This seems ridiculously small. But when I took 1/4 tsp two days ago, I got dizzy and tired, and two days later the rosacea rash came back.

Just wondering if anybody has any idea what's going on here and how to deal with it.

Is it refined or unrefined? From what I've gathered, unrefined shouldn't give you any issues. Refined does. IDK if that helps or not. Honestly, if I were in your boat, and if it's unrefined doing this to you, I would just stop using it altogether.
    Georgette

Comment

It's unrefined expeller pressed virgin coconut oil, whole foods brand.

Comment

These symptoms eventually went away! Now I am up to a teaspoon of coconut oil every day, with no further outbreaks of rosacea, and no more fatigue and flu-like symptoms.

So I think it was some sort of Herxheimer reaction. It went on for a long time, almost six weeks.

Comment

I went thru the same thing...coconut oil can produce detox symptoms from what I have read But, I see you said it has passed...Good Luck

Comment

Yeah Coconut Oil is a great anti-fungal. You probably had some fungal thing going down there in your guts and you were getting some classic die-off reactions. ...they are the exact reactions people who are overcoming Candida (yeast overgrowth) get when using coconut oil.

Comment

Yup, sounds like die-off to me. Lauric acid in coconut=chemical warfare on baddies . Raw garlic might help things along. If you need some baddies killed that's your go-to right there. Or tea tree oil. Anything to get things over with.
              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

What exactly is the difference between refined and non? Is is more than just filtering out the chunks?

Comment

I'm happy to say that the acne and flu symptoms are completely gone and I'm up to four teaspoons a day now. My rosacea is a lot better too. Hurray for coconut oil!

Comment

I love coconut oil and I now use it a lot. It has so many benefits. I also use it to moisturize my face.

Comment

Being very prone to acne, I haven't discovered outbreaks with coconut oil...

Comment

Very happy to read this and similar threads. Very recently went paleo and have coincidentally been eating a lot of coconut curries. After my third in a row after going paleo, I noticed a very strange feeling, almost like a mild allergic reaction, that I've never had with coconut before. Now I have very mild skin blemishes when my skin is usually very clear.

Happy to know it's probably related to detoxing...I'll chill out a bit. I'll start doing OCM again to help clear things up a bit...

Comment

My coconut oil rashes are also pretty mild, and I expect they'll go away over time. It's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                          X