What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P
    Last edited by Terry H; 11-29-2014, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• My favorite rendition...

-----------------------------------------------------

<3

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

~ Theodor Seuss Geisel aka... Dr. Seuss ~

Comment

• Favorite rendition.... <3
        "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Comment

• Thank you Pineapple Express!

Originally posted by Primalkatt View Post
          Favorite rendition.... <3
          He sure could play.
          In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Geez, Primalkatt, what an eruption of good stuff. I'm wanting to type a lot but have time for only a little. Very moving all. I, IMO, think that SRV is distilling the lyrics down to and within his Instrumental rendition of Little Wing. I think it's the best cover, at least, w/o lyrics, but Derek and the Dominos ain't bad. Somehow or other, Hendrix, with his Strat, and soulful lone voice, will never be surpassed. Loved his batterie, too.
            Last edited by Terry H; 12-04-2014, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Where, as a kid, I learned to appreciate falsetto:

Courtesy of my oldest Brother (by 10 years).

Comment

• Cross-pollination and the making of a great guitarist:

Comment

• chris whitley -din of ecstasy

don't know how to embed the youtube versions.

Comment

• Jefferson1775, yes he was an amazing talent, I agree.

Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                    Geez, Primalkatt, what an eruption of good stuff. I'm wanting to type a lot but have time for only a little. Very moving all. I, IMO, think that SRV is distilling the lyrics down to and within his Instrumental rendition of Little Wing. I think it's the best cover, at least, w/o lyrics, but Derek and the Dominos ain't bad. Somehow or other, Hendrix, with his Strat, and soulful lone voice, will never be surpassed. Loved his batterie, too.
                    I love clapton and that's a great rendition indeed! And yes, die hard fans love and will defend Hendrix's original version to the nines of which I agree, it's amazing. I used to love both of the Winter boys! Have seen them several times too.

Here's a blast from the past and god knows I loved these boys!

This will give away my age but what the hell. I kept a journal and this is who I've seen live back in the day and I certainly can't list them all (will hit some of the biggies) as that's all we did back then in the Bay Area, concerts, concerts and more concerts, Filmore, Winterland, Kezar Stadium, Days on the Green, Stanford, Oakland Coliseum.... et all!!!

Today, I'm more into 90's alternative and need to see Alter Bridge although, I'm very very grateful that I was in an era and lived in a place where these giants/trail-blazers in the industry graced us with their talent.

Blood Sweat and Tears - first concert with my parents and boy I was a young-un!
                    Chicago - second concert with my parents, from then on I was hooked.

Savoy Brown - didn't log where I saw them and the same with Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young, and Leon Russell. I'm guessing the Filmore.

Eric Clapton - Stanford Uni 1975 - I have a coveted drumstick from this concert. Such a groupie I was! I've seen him several times too.

Boz Scaggs - Filmore East 1971
                    Jethro Tull - Filmore East 1971
                    James Taylor - Filmore East 1971
                    Spencer Davis - Filmore East 1971
                    BB King - Filmore East 1971
                    Van Morrison - Filmore East 1971

Boz Scaggs - Winterland 1971
                    Van Morrison - Winterland 1971
                    Humble Pie/Edgar Winter - Winterland 1972
                    Allman Brothers/Albert King - Winterland 1972
                    Emerson Lake and Plamer Winterland 1972
                    Lee Michaels/Cold Blood - Winterland 1972

Led Zepeplin - San Fran/Kezar Stadium 1973 - stood up one time at this concert due to.... umm... errr... too much fun?

J. Geils/Buddy Miles - Winterland 1972
                    Dave Mason/Loggins and Messina - Winterland 1972
                    Jefferson Airplane - Winterland 1972
                    Crosby and Nash - Winterland 1972
                    Santana - Winterland 1972 - seen them so many times can't even remember them all. I saw them with Buddy too... heavenly sigh.
                    David Bowie - Winterland 1972
                    Weather Report - Winterland 1972
                    Rita Coolidge and K. Kristofferson - Winterland 1972
                    Hot Tuna - Winterland 1972
                    Steve Miller - Winterland 1972
                    Traffic - Winterland 1973 and 1974
                    Frampton/Johnny Winter - Winterland 1973
                    Doobies/J. Walsh/New Riders - Winterland 1973
                    Humble Pie/Steely Dan - Winterland 1973
                    Jeff Beck - Winterland 1973
                    John Mayall - Winterland 1973
                    Doobie Brothers - Winterland 1973
                    Almond Brothers/Marshall Tucker - Winterland 1973
                    Genesis - Winterland 1974
                    Lou Reed - Winterland 1974
                    Gregg Allman - Winterland 1974
                    ZZ Top - Winterland 1974
                    Marshall Tucker/Charley Daniels - Winterland 1974
                    Doobie Brothers/Peter Frampton - Winterland 1974
                    Lynard Skynard/Tubes - Winterland 1974
                    Johnny Winter - Winterland 1975
                    Jefferson Starship - Winterland 1975
                    Joe Walsh - Winterland 1975
                    Fleetwood Mac - Winterland 1975 - seen them many times and when Christine McVie was the lead singer.
                    Procol Harum - Winterland 1975
                    Fleetwood Mac - Winterland 1975
                    Robin Trower - Winterland 1976
                    The Who - Winterland 1976
                    Rush - Winterland 1977
                    YES too!

Paul McCartney?
                    Elton John?
                    Rolling Stones - Mt. View Ampl. 94/95? Voodoo Lounge Tour (it was their LAST tour... haha, ya right!)

Not to mention Jazz! John Coltrane, David Benoit, John McLaughlin, Chick Corea, David Sanborn, so many, and the late great Dave Brubeck. Wow could that man dance on the piano, never have seen anyone play like that old man. AND, Ray Charles, front row seats at the Saratoga Winery, that was a treat!

Well this was a blast from the past and this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Aright enough of my nonsense, back to work with me!

♥ Favorite Hendrix.... Hey Baby... mhmmmm ♥

♥ Fave MD too! ♥

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Last edited by Primalkatt; 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Nice list Primalkatt - I really like most of those listed. Would have loved to have seen John Mayall that early in his career. Didn't see him until a few years later. Saw the Stones, Tull, Santana, Billy Cobham, Leon Russell, Blue Oyster Cult, Dead, Jerry Garcia Band, etc. etc. Also a load of jazz as well, mostly in NYC - Village Vanguard was such an amazing place to see the giants of jazz. Thad Jones/Mel Lewis was awesome in that tiny basement. Also went to many Newport Jazz festivals in NYC as well. Rahsaan Roland Kirk at Avery Fisher Hall playing 3 wind instruments at one time - amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
                        Nice list Primalkatt - I really like most of those listed. Would have loved to have seen John Mayall that early in his career. Didn't see him until a few years later. Saw the Stones, Tull, Santana, Billy Cobham, Leon Russell, Blue Oyster Cult, Dead, Jerry Garcia Band, etc. etc. Also a load of jazz as well, mostly in NYC - Village Vanguard was such an amazing place to see the giants of jazz. Thad Jones/Mel Lewis was awesome in that tiny basement. Also went to many Newport Jazz festivals in NYC as well. Rahsaan Roland Kirk at Avery Fisher Hall playing 3 wind instruments at one time - amazing.
                        Haha! Those were the days no? It looks like you've seen your share too and yes Mayall was amazing. One of my favorite was Tull, watching him dance around the stage in those tights, to be honest and I hate this word, it was surreal.

I'm going to see Bob Seger in March in Sacto, and the crazy thing is, my parents are going too. lol They are cool peeps!

Comment

• I've been listening to Royal Blood. Don't know much about them, but apparently the Brits are giving these guys the keys to, like, Rock or something. I haven't really read or heard anything about them other than a few lines of Dave Grohl and Jimmy Page loving them I guess.

Pretty damn good music for 2 guys! I've never seen a band with just a bass guitar. Wild.

Royal Blood - Out Of The Black

Comment

• I pursue Your laws, on the one hand
                            On the other, my passion pursues me.
                            Ashamed and embarrassed, I will enter Your gates.
                            And the long nights and the loneliness and the years,
                            And this heart that has not known peace.
                            Until the sea becomes quiet, until the shadows disappear.
                            אני רודף אחר חוקיך, מחד
                            מאידך תשוקתי אותי רודפת
                            בוש ונכלם אבוא בשעריך
                            והלילות הארוכים והבדידות ושנים
                            והלב הזה שלא ידע מרגוע
                            עד שישקוט הים, עד שינוסו הצללים
                            Where shall I go, to where will I turn, when Your eyes gaze upon me?
                            Where shall I flee, how will I not turn away?
                            Between truth and truth,
                            Between law and practice.
                            Between the days of yore and modern times.
                            Between the hidden and the revealed,
                            Between the world to come and this world.
                            לאן אלך, אנה אפנה, כשעיניך מביטות בי
                            איכה אברח, איך לא אפנה
                            בין אמת לאמת
                            בין הלכה למעשה
                            בין הימים ההם לזמן הזה
                            בין הנסתר לנגלה
                            בין העולם הבא לעולם הזה
                            I pursue Your laws, on the other hand my passion burns me
                            Fierce as death, terrible as troops with banners
                            The long nights and the loneliness and the years,
                            And this heart that has not known peace.
                            Until the sea becomes quiet, until the shadows disappear
                            Bring me back!
                            רודף אחר חוקיך, מאידך תשוקתי אותי שורפת
                            עזה כמוות, איומה כנדגלות
                            הלילות הארוכים והבדידות והשנים
                            והלב הזה שלא ידע מרגוע
                            עד שישקוט הים, עד שינוסו הצללים
                            השיבני
                            Where shall I go, to where will I turn
                            לאן אלך, אנה אפנה

This moves me. This song is used in a popular TV series. More info if any interest: http://shvamerachef.blogspot.com/200...do-i-turn.html

I experience personal expansion when listening to music from different places. I try to look up the translation of the text but the emotional experience of the song/music is, of course, the initial hook, as well as the sound or texture of the spoken language along with the voice. It is like gaining (a) perspective I never wd.'ve had o-wise, and it is satisfying.
                            Last edited by Terry H; 12-18-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Typical music from the mountainous parts of my country;

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

Working...
                                X