Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes pink circles/shadows under kids' eyes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes pink circles/shadows under kids' eyes?

I think someone posted on here once about how a family at the grocery store (with a cart full of good stuff) had kids that were well behaved and didn't have that pink under their eyes.

Anyone know what causes that and why?

Someone here said that pink was due to allergies but I can't remember which one. Either grain or dairy.
    Calm the f**k down.

Comment

I don't know that any one type of allergy causes pink under eyes. I think it might just be food allergies in general. Most common food allergies tend to be wheat, dairy and corn. That's not saying those are what causes this, but they tend to be the most common.

sg

Comment

jqbancroft: I think that was me.

Pink under kids' eyes = dairy allergy/intolerance. An old wise healer woman told me that years ago, and it stuck in my mind because I see kids with this all the time. Also, my friend's daughter had the pink circles and I told her about the dairy connection. My friend took her girl off the dairy, and the pink went away.

I also posted here about a cute (from behind) 5-year-old girl I saw at Trader Joe's one time. She turned around to look at me, and she looked like she had been punched in her eyes, those pink circles were so bad. I looked up at what her mother was buying: One thing. A big package of cheese sticks.

Dark circles = wheat.
        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

This is fascinating! Thank you. My step-daughter has pink circles under her eyes, and she does love eating yogurt, drinking milk, and eating cheese. Poor kiddo

I wonder if anyone knows of sources making the link between pink under-eyes and milk? If I had something concrete, my husband could ask his ex to get her tested for food allergies, but I doubt she'll do it based on us just saying "hey, we noticed she has pink under her eyes and we read it can be linked with milk sensitivities. Can you get her tested?" lol.

Comment

If dark circles always =wheat, mine would be gone
            I wonder if the coloring of the child has any bearing on the circles? My family is First Nations, so dark hair, dark eyes and yellow undertone. My 2 girls and I have very dark circles under our eyes. I've eliminated most things (at one time or another) now I'm working on eliminating dairy. I wonder of the pink for children with lighter tones comes out more purple for us?(Its a purple/yellow mix...real purty.)
            Calm the f**k down.

Comment

This is so awful to hear, my baby brothers (toddler/elementary) have had dark circles under their eyes for most of their short lives, and I know their awful (worse than CW) small town diet is probably destroying them.
              I know my stepmother/father wouldn't want to hear.. and they're about 2000 miles away - but considering me and another cousin have tested for gluten-sensitivity.. ugh. And we were both still raised on organic CW fare, I can't think of what will become of them. It's like child negligence!

Comment

Metis: It is true that heritage does play a role in the dark circles. Those of Mediterranean descent can have them regardless of their wheat-eating status, so it's reasonable to think if they can then other heritages can, too. We were talking about this topic a while ago and someone said s/he still had the dark circles even though no wheat. I chimed in about the Mediterranean thing and, guess what, it turns out s/he was Mediterranean!

P.S. I am pure pale honky, unfortunately, and my dark circles went away pretty quickly once off the wheat.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                  Metis: It is true that heritage does play a role in the dark circles. Those of Mediterranean descent can have them regardless of their wheat-eating status, so it's reasonable to think if they can then other heritages can, too. We were talking about this topic a while ago and someone said s/he still had the dark circles even though no wheat. I chimed in about the Mediterranean thing and, guess what, it turns out s/he was Mediterranean!
                  This is me.
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I thought the dark circles were caused by a deficiency of something. I think it was vitamin A.
                    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Bushrat: Could be. In my case, it was definitely wheat.

How I even got to talking about this with the old healer woman was she told me, from across the room, as soon as I walked into her shop, that I was allergic to wheat. I walked closer to her and asked her why she thought that, and she said because of my dark circles under my eyes. Thus proceeded the conversation about what the different colors mean. (Her observation was confirmed when I became wheat-free; the dark circles were one of the earliest things to go, right behind the GERD.)

She also told me she knew I was bingeing on fast food (this, specifically).... which was true. I was so taken aback (felt completely naked) that I never did bring myself to asking her how she could tell (A) that I was bingeing and (B) name the food.

She was in her late 70s, but looked like she was about 50. The only indicator of her true age was her hands. There was a long waiting list to get in to have a consultation with her. She didn't advertise; it was all by word of mouth. This was in Houston, Texas.

edit:
                      P.S. She was also the one who taught me about the magnesium for sugar cravings trick.

Comment

Bushrat: Could be. In my case, it was definitely wheat.

How I even got to talking about this with the old healer woman was she told me, from across the room, as soon as I walked into her shop, that I was allergic to wheat. I walked closer to her and asked her why she thought that, and she said because of my dark circles under my eyes. Thus proceeded the conversation about what the different colors mean. (Her observation was confirmed when I became wheat-free; the dark circles were one of the earliest things to go, right behind the GERD.)

She also told me she knew I was bingeing on fast food (this, specifically).... which was true. I was so taken aback (felt completely naked) that I never did bring myself to asking her how she could tell (A) that I was bingeing and (B) name the food.

She was in her late 70s, but looked like she was about 50. The only indicator of her true age was her hands. There was a long waiting list to get in to have a consultation with her. She didn't advertise; it was all by word of mouth. This was in Houston, Texas.

edit:
                        P.S. She was also the one who taught me about the magnesium for sugar cravings trick.
                        AHHHH!!! I want one! Why can't there be anybody like this around here?
                        Calm the f**k down.

Comment

jqbancroft: I think that was me.

Pink under kids' eyes = dairy allergy/intolerance. An old wise healer woman told me that years ago, and it stuck in my mind because I see kids with this all the time. Also, my friend's daughter had the pink circles and I told her about the dairy connection. My friend took her girl off the dairy, and the pink went away.

I also posted here about a cute (from behind) 5-year-old girl I saw at Trader Joe's one time. She turned around to look at me, and she looked like she had been punched in her eyes, those pink circles were so bad. I looked up at what her mother was buying: One thing. A big package of cheese sticks.

Dark circles = wheat.
                          Yep. I had the dark circle problem until I stopped eating grains - I looked like I had two black eyes all the time. My dad had both the pink and the black, but refused to give up his bread and cheese. *sigh*
                          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Interesting.. one of my 6 kids has the pink under her eyes, since she was a baby (she's 9 now). I asked her pedi about it when she was just a toddler and he said it was just genetics :/ She has had allergy testing done and nothing has ever come up. I just find it weird because of all my kids, she is the only one. I have darkness under my eyes (sometimes it looks like I've been punched in the eye)... I have been paleo/primal most of the last 4 months.. but do slip up so I'm not sure I've had a long enough wheat-free run to see if it makes a difference. I would love if it did cause I don't wear make-up but am tempted to sometimes because my skin is so uneven.
                            Anyways- I will keep watching my daughter.. she hasn't had wheat in forever, but does still have dairy.. though when we were vegan she didn't have dairy for a year and still had the pink under her eyes... hmmmm....
                            Nina... primal mother to 6 cavelings.

Comment

dark circles can also be an iron deficiency.

Comment

Working...
                              X