Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternates to Vibram for people with weird feet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternates to Vibram for people with weird feet!

First time posting, long time watcher.

Sounds like a silly title but I think it is a good question to address.

Before I get to the guts of my questions and the why, a quick background, because I am pretty proud. Gained 100 pounds in 1.5 years and another 30+lbs. subsequently, before this I was in superior shape and lived a super healthy, protein\carb based diet (sarcasm... now that I see the light). You know the drill 6 meals a day, low glycemic....Blah, Blah, Blah! Hit a hurdle in life and and the pounds packed on...FAST! As of today, several years after the weight gain and 8 months into my living primal transformation, I have lost 70 lbs so far, good muscle gains, decent cardio health (even at 305lbs, this morning's weigh in) for example I study 2 martial arts (Kun Gek Do and Tai Ji Quan) a minimum of twice a week each but most of the time 3 or four times a week each, sprints twice a week (up a steep hill are a personal favorite), and large compound weight movements on Mons., Weds, and Fridays. I love squats, clean jerks, dead lifts and overhead presses, 8 months ago I dreaded them. So far so good, but now its time to work in some bare foot exercises besides the Kun Gek Do. However, I have a problem, as a teen I was diagnosed with Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, here's a link:

Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease - PubMed Health

Anyways I have some seriously ugly and deformed feet. Sad but true and and the while I suffer from the pain associated with the disease it is something I have lived with for a long time and I am quite used to. My pain though is always greatly exacerbated by shoes and sneakers, that's probably why I love barefoot martial arts and walk barefoot anyplace I am allowed to or I won't get hurt. Anyways, I figured I would give the Vibrams (or ape shoes as my friends called them) a shot. I had my feet measured at a local runners store, anecdotaly one foot is a 38- 39 the other a 41-42. One problem, Vibrams don't fit, they just can't accommodate my deformity and my toes just wont fit due to their unique shape. I was looking to alternatives that are close but without the toes =(.

Thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else familiar with my predicament? I was looking at the runAmok as a possible option, but if I invest in barefoot shoes I want to do it right. What do you guys and gals think?

Respectfully,
    S.

*Edit* Any shoe companies out there willing to sell me one shoe size for one foot and another shoe size for the other?
    Last edited by Chromal; 03-03-2011, 12:26 PM.

I also have...unique...feet and can't wear Vibrams - some of my toes are just too stubby to stay in the toe pockets. Plus, my right foot is a full size larger than the left one. *sigh*

I've heard good things about the Merrell Trail Glove, as well as the New Balance WT101 (MT101 if you're a dude). Vivo Barefoot is another minimal shoe company but they're a little pricier. I haven't tried any of them yet, and am still just running in my Brooks Green Silence racing flats. They're fabulous and light, but have a bit more heel to toe drop than a true minimalist shoe.

Anyway, good luck, and definitely let me know if you find a company willing to sell you two different sized shoes!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Ballet Shoes - Jack Lalanne used them (maybe not get the bright & shiny ones)

http://www.zappos.com/capezio-canvas-romeo-black

these seem popular too

http://www.softstarshoes.com/
      Last edited by kenn; 03-03-2011, 03:21 PM.
      Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
      Starting Weight: 294 pounds
      Current Weight: 235 pounds
      Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

As far as mismatched shoe sizes...there used to be a place that was a matchmaking service for odd shoe sizes. They would find your "sole mate" so to speak. As I recall it didnt save you any money on shoes YOU specifically wanted but you got lots of other pairs of shoes for free when you traded mismatches.
        MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Soft star moccasins.

Russell moccasins.

Terra Plana shoes.

Huaraches from Luna/make your own.

Gordo

Comment

Check out Richard's post on Minimalist shoes on a budget. Will probably be more forgiving of foot size mismatches, and if not inexpensive enough that you could buy 2 pairs without paying too much.

Comment

You got some tough feet to fit, try DIY Five Fingers
              http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Brilliant!!!

Comment

I agree with trying the Merrell Barefoot collection, they have been referred to as the 'mitten' version of VFF they have the same Vibram material for the soles.
                  Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Merrell Pace Glove - they look like Mary Janes and rock. I want a brown pair so I can wear them to work and MATCH! As opposed to currently wearing black shoes with brown pants.
                    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try a couple and see which ones win. Love the mismatched shoes link too! Thanks again.

Comment

I have misshapen feet as well. For warm weather, I use invisible shoes and for colder weather (though I've from Southern California, so...dont' make fun) I use soled slippers (they're cheap, warm, and I can feel the road). It works so far, though the invisible shoe design, with the string between the toes, is getting on my nerves lately, so I might be rethinking.

The sock shoe looks like an excellent idea!
                        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Working...
                        X