No announcement yet.

Under active thyroid questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of your symptoms sound like thyroid but some def. sound like adrenal fatigue. Here's a "scorecard" describing adrenal and thyroid symptoms:
    Metabolic Symptoms Matrix

The wrinkly fingertips are a lesser known adrenal symptom and the breakouts around the chin can also be (since adrenal hormone dysfunction quickly affects female hormones).
    The sleep pattern is classic low morning cortisol/high evening cortisol. See if your naturopath will give you an Adrenal Stress Index (ASI) saliva panel (with 4 collections over 24 hours).

If you get thyroid tests, make sure you get thyroid antibody (TPO and TAb) tests (anything over 20 is positive by functional medicine standards). Too many docs don't test this and too many people fall through the cracks because of it. If it comes back positive, please check out New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS
    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you so much for the information!!

Comment

Going by those links, it's looking like adrenal fatigue for sure. I quit smoking two weeks ago, my diet is very clean.. I definitely need to get more sleep but my husband keeps me awake by moving around at night. I haven't had an unbroken night's sleep since we got together four years ago, it drives me mad. I have vastly reduced my coffee consumption from about 6-7 cups a day to 2 in the morning, will these have to got too?

Comment

Fiona, I have been trying to figure out my strange little medical mysteries for years, some of which sound like yours, and became convinced that magnesium deficiency was my prob (had even tested low in the ER once with heart issues). Well, I just had a tissue mineral analysis done through the mail, which I had ordered way back when I was on the Fat Flush program. I got the results yesterday and it said that I have an underactive thyroid and adrenals and too much calcium AND magnesium because I'm not absorbing it possibly due to the thyroid and adrenal probs. I've always heard the TMA things were bogus but it reads like a health biography for me. Even addresses the blood pressure probs I've had on PB, the heart symptoms I've had on and off for years, etc. So while your problem could be magnesium, there could be a reason why you are not absorbing it properly.
          True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
          The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Thanks Shat. It definitely sounds like I need to get everything tested. So what's your plan of action going to be for your problems?

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
              Going by those links, it's looking like adrenal fatigue for sure. I quit smoking two weeks ago, my diet is very clean.. I definitely need to get more sleep but my husband keeps me awake by moving around at night. I haven't had an unbroken night's sleep since we got together four years ago, it drives me mad. I have vastly reduced my coffee consumption from about 6-7 cups a day to 2 in the morning, will these have to got too?
              The sleep thing is so important! I drove myself into serious adrenal fatigue by chronic lack of sleep (let my mistakes be a warning, lol!) My hubby and I often sleep in different rooms because his schedule is so different than mine and I can't be woken up by him getting to bed so much later than me. The whole sleeping in the same bed thing is overrated if either partner has sleep issues!

The 6-7 cups of coffee definitely contributed to your fatigued adrenals (and were probably covering it up, to some degree!)
              It would be good if you could reduce your caffeine, but don't cut it all at once- it could be too much of a shock to your system! I find yerba mate tea to be a little easier on my system.
              There's an excellent book called "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" that covers all causes of and aspects of healing of adrenal fatigue. I highly recommend it!

Just some quick pointers on adrenal fatigue (a cheat-sheet!):
              -Get to bed early- by 10:30 (the reason for this is that you get a cortisol spike at night- the second wind- and you want to be asleep before that kicks in. Otherwise it's a constant strain on the adrenals). Try to get 9 hours as often as possible. If you can, lay down for a little while in the afternoon or right away when you get home from work- just getting horizontal for 20 min. helps. You don't have to sleep.

-Salt your water! Adrenal fatigue causes sodium loss which then causes dehydration (hence the wrinkly fingertips), so add some unrefined sea salt (any salt with color) to all your water. It makes a big difference in hydration.

-Don't do any hard workouts until your adrenals are better. It sucks if you like to work out, but stick to walking and maybe some very short sets of weights. Nothing too strenuous. It will be counterproductive.
              Consider something like restorative yoga or qigong (like tai chi but more simple to learn).I found that qigong really helped with my recovery. I noticed a pretty fast improvement in my energy. I used this dvd and once you learn it, it takes all of 9 min. to do.

- Give it at least 3 months. It takes the adrenals awhile to recoup. Be gentle and kind to yourself!

Comment

Thanks so much for the wonderful advice!

Comment

Fiona,the test results came with a list of supplements to take. I am already taking a couple of things that were suggested because I knew I had low hcl (which this confirmed) and I also knew, or suspected strongly, that I had adrenal probs. I'm really curious about this and so I ordered everything. My main problem seems to be not absorbing nutrients and apparently the supplements recommended are supposed to help with that.

Oh yeah, congrats on stopping smoking. Good luck with that.

Thanks Shat. It definitely sounds like I need to get everything tested. So what's your plan of action going to be for your problems?
                  True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
                  The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Thanks. I think my Mum has adrenal issues too, I checked her fingers today and she has the wrinkly thing too. I hope all of us can get these problems resolved soon.

Comment

I'm not sure how reliable those wrinkly fingers are. Mine are wrinkly, and I've had my adrenals checked, and I'm fine. I've also lost a substantial amount of weight, and my 'wrinkly' all over, so that may be the cause of my wrinkly fingers.

Comment

Emmie, what kind of adrenal test did you do? The only one worth doing is a 24-hour saliva test where you take 4 samples over the course of a whole day. Blood tests will only show Addison's and the typical one sample saliva test doesn't give enough information.

Comment

Ok I started taking the triple magnesium supplements a few days ago and I've lost 5 pounds already! Couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scales this morning. I actually feel tons better too!

Comment

The lines are vertical, but I absolutely do not have an iron deficiency because when I got my levels checked, I had FAR too much. :/
                            Excess iron can wreck havoc on your body just like too little iron can. I'm a big fan of Protein Power (Drs. Eades) and they encourage people who test out to have excess iron to donate blood routinely for 6 months or so then have it retested.

Comment

Ok I started taking the triple magnesium supplements a few days ago and I've lost 5 pounds already! Couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scales this morning. I actually feel tons better too!
                              damn, where is the like button when you need it? Glad to hear you're feeling better!
                              Calm the f**k down.

Comment

I had a blood test--administered by my endo. I have no knowledge that it's not reliable. I also have no symptoms of adrenal fatigue, so I'm not certain that my 'wrinkled' fingertips are significant. I see him next month, so I'll ask about that.

Comment

Working...
                                X