Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gripe of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
    That's not windows. That's A) how it's set up and B ) a hardware issue. Unless you have some seriously FUBAR shit going on (Blue Screening, brick walls, etc), unprompted shutdowns are hardware. Check your fans. As to auto-update, you can turn that off, y'know.
    In my case it's A. Sadly our IT department will not let us have control over that. So I have had instances where I've had a long term test running on something only to find out it quit in the middle of the night.

    Comment


    • Apology

      A few days ago I was complaining about the weather and many threats from tornado. Well, one went within 100 yards of my place and demolished many trees. I was scared out of my mind. I now feel like a totally freaking weak person after seeing what has happened just south of me in Alabama. I can't believe how scared those people must have been having to go through that horror. My heart goes out to everyone in the southeast US.

      I would like to take back my gripe of the day.
      I learned a valuable lesson with the first steer I sent to slaughter. I should have named him Hamburger and not Snookers.

      Comment


      • So glad you are all right, Cassandra.

        My only weather related GOTD is that I was out in the sun too long today and now I have a headache. Wah!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
          Ahhh....
          I'm sorry. :C

          My gripe:
          It's pronounced "NOO-cleer" or "noo-CLEE-ar", not "nukuler." It's pronounced "KRAHN- ik," not "crank" (WTF, there's not even an a in the word...) It's pronounced "PATH-o-jin," not "path-er- GIN."

          If you teach the class, be able to pronounce the words. It's that simple. Being raised in Odessa isn't an excuse, either, because you've seen the videos you show us WHERE THEY SAY IT RIGHT only 5 million times. SAY. IT. RIGHT.
          Especially "nuclear." People mispronouncing that word just sets my teeth on edge.
          We used to have a President who did that often. It was an embarrassing time to be an English teacher.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            We used to have a President who did that often. It was an embarrassing time to be an English teacher.
            I'm aware. I despised his illiteracy all the more because he called Midland his "hometown," which in turn made Odessa look bad. Not all West Texans are illiterate rednecks...









            Just most of 'em.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

            Comment


            • Two sick kids, a semi-stressful day of work, no exercise, and iniQuity talking about ice cream all over the place today ... guess what I fell face-first into after dinner?
              “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

              My primal journal

              Comment


              • I pronounce nuclear somewhere between the right way and the idiot way. The word does not come up in my vocabulary very often and when it does, I've forgotten which is the correct way to say the it. Since it's a rare word for me, I don't invest the the time to fix it permanently into my brain.

                My gripe? Writing 8 page essays for teachers that just skim the damn things.

                Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
                Congenital Hypothyroid
                CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

                Comment


                • I went to the lady doctor (who was actually a guy doctor... :/) tuesday and he found a cyst on my uterus, and he kept poking it for like five minutes trying to figure out how big/where it was/ etc. Now my uterus hurts like hell!!! I feel like I'm starting my period, but I just ended it! I hate doctors...


                  Crap! I'm An Adult!

                  My Primal Journal

                  http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                    I'm aware. I despised his illiteracy all the more because he called Midland his "hometown," which in turn made Odessa look bad. Not all West Texans are illiterate rednecks...









                    Just most of 'em.
                    Yeah, but he's not a real Texan. Remember he was born in Connecticut.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                      Yeah, but he's not a real Texan. Remember he was born in Connecticut.
                      You know that, I know that, most of America says he's "from Texas" or "from West Texas."
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

                      Comment


                      • That it is illegal to beat thin friends about the face and neck.

                        I have a buddy from way back who has always looked in shape (looks...he is actually pathetically out of shape). He constantly makes little comments about my weight. Now, while there has never been one day since I have known him that I could not kick his skinny ass, I have refrained from doing so. Today I get a text, "That's great you have lost that weight. Still, bunch more to go!"

                        Now, I honestly do not give two shits what he thinks. I have enough self-esteem for most of this forum combined but when a dude who can't do 10 pushups says some shit like that it really should be legal to beat the everliving shit out of him. Just sayin.

                        Comment


                        • Ever call him on it, or is there no point? As "friends" go he doesn't sound very friendly, especially the backhanded compliment there.
                          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                            Ever call him on it, or is there no point? As "friends" go he doesn't sound very friendly, especially the backhanded compliment there.
                            Honestly the guy is absolutely socially retarded. I would say he has some form of autism but that would be an insult to autistics (but seriously there is something beyond dumbassery about this guy). I've called him out on the fact that most teenaged girls could beat him into a pulp but he is oblivous. He is one of those 'friends' that you have known too long to really get rid of now but you sometimes wonder why you ever spoke to to begin with.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                              That it is illegal to beat thin friends about the face and neck.

                              I have a buddy from way back who has always looked in shape (looks...he is actually pathetically out of shape). He constantly makes little comments about my weight. Now, while there has never been one day since I have known him that I could not kick his skinny ass, I have refrained from doing so. Today I get a text, "That's great you have lost that weight. Still, bunch more to go!"

                              Now, I honestly do not give two shits what he thinks. I have enough self-esteem for most of this forum combined but when a dude who can't do 10 pushups says some shit like that it really should be legal to beat the everliving shit out of him. Just sayin.
                              I have a heavily overweight friend (Guy With Allergies) who makes cracks about how he "could break [me] in half" or "chunk [me] into the next county." One day when he did this and I was especially low on patience and anything regarding tolerating his jackassery, I whirled on him and said "Go ahead, try it. I don't know that our friendship or you and [Geek]'s friendship what last beyond you grabbing me. Hell, I don't know if YOU'D last beyond grabbing me. Yes, I'm skinny and you're twice my size. I get it. Drop it or I'll drop you." He got this scared-for-mama look on his face (NOTHING scares this guy) and changed the topic, carefully avoiding eye contact. Haven't heard any more cracks outta him about it (except when we're verbally sparring. All's fair in love and war.)
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                                I have a heavily overweight friend (Guy With Allergies) who makes cracks about how he "could break [me] in half" or "chunk [me] into the next county." One day when he did this and I was especially low on patience and anything regarding tolerating his jackassery, I whirled on him and said "Go ahead, try it. I don't know that our friendship or you and [Geek]'s friendship what last beyond you grabbing me. Hell, I don't know if YOU'D last beyond grabbing me. Yes, I'm skinny and you're twice my size. I get it. Drop it or I'll drop you." He got this scared-for-mama look on his face (NOTHING scares this guy) and changed the topic, carefully avoiding eye contact. Haven't heard any more cracks outta him about it (except when we're verbally sparring. All's fair in love and war.)
                                Different situation. I only make the cracks when he makes one. When he says something like, "Damn, you're gaining weight. Must be hard to move around huh?" I will respond with something like, "Lets go run a mile...oh wait, you can't." Or when he says something like, "Damn, with your job shouldn't you lose weight? What if you have to fight some bad guy?" I might respond with, "I've been trained and can take the average dude. Anytime you want to try let me know."

                                i don't just randomly walk up and say, "Dude, I bet my little sister could beat your ass."

                                Randomly threatening small people (especially women) makes you a douche. Making comments at people considerably larger than you makes you suicidal.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X