No announcement yet.

Gripe of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your husband calls you to discuss something important, goes into a busy donut shop and gets frustrated with you when you weren't clear on something he said and all you can hear is the talking and laughing behind him. Enjoy that donut!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynna View Post
      Other than some German auto brands (VW Mercedes Audi) why can't we get turbo-diesels in autos here in the US? Two of them are above my price and VWs are expensive to keep up. I really want a diesel auto for my next vehicle. You don't have to worry about battery disposal as in the hybrids and electrics or someplace to plug in your electric. Other technologies are not currently available and diesels can be converted to biofuels. But the only options here is to buy a pricey European car or a hulking pickup or SUV.
      I'm not in the market at the moment but my car is 11 years old. I have a cute little Toyota ECHO and it does get pretty good mileage. Bought gas this morning at $3.7999/gal when I drove by the station an hour later they had raised it to $3.8299. It just outrageous how they can raise prices like that. And yes I know the pay a lot more for fuel other places.
      Let me ask my husband about this tonight. He's an auto mechanic and may have an answer. I remember seeing Mercedes turbo-diesels back in the day and by that I mean the late 70's-early 80's. Not sure if its due to the fact that diesels stink(and they do when you initially start them) or the noise factor or maybe its just because they're a PITA to work on. I'll see if I can get an answer out of him on this.
      Georgette

Comment

Other than some German auto brands (VW Mercedes Audi) why can't we get turbo-diesels in autos here in the US? Two of them are above my price and VWs are expensive to keep up. I really want a diesel auto for my next vehicle. You don't have to worry about battery disposal as in the hybrids and electrics or someplace to plug in your electric. Other technologies are not currently available and diesels can be converted to biofuels. But the only options here is to buy a pricey European car or a hulking pickup or SUV.
        I'm not in the market at the moment but my car is 11 years old. I have a cute little Toyota ECHO and it does get pretty good mileage. Bought gas this morning at $3.7999/gal when I drove by the station an hour later they had raised it to $3.8299. It just outrageous how they can raise prices like that. And yes I know the pay a lot more for fuel other places.
        Love love love my TDI, but yes, maintenance is expensive and god forbid it needs actual work. Eeeek. On the upside, I only fill up once a month and plan on getting at least 300,000 miles out of it.

I think that the main reason there are fewer diesels in the US is that the US automakers really screwed that one up in the 70s. Slow, smokey, smelly and loud. Newer diesels, the only way to tell is the engine sounds different. Not near as loud as the old ones. The smoke and smell thing are pretty non-existent also (although, I can intentionally create one hell of a black cloud if someone behind me deserves it LOL)

Comment

The short answer?

Kaliforniastan emission standards (and 3 other states I can't remember off the top of my head) and the American consumer's aversion to buying diesel
          Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
          Starting Weight: 294 pounds
          Current Weight: 235 pounds
          Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
            Let me ask my husband about this tonight. He's an auto mechanic and may have an answer. I remember seeing Mercedes turbo-diesels back in the day and by that I mean the late 70's-early 80's. Not sure if its due to the fact that diesels stink(and they do when you initially start them) or the noise factor or maybe its just because they're a PITA to work on. I'll see if I can get an answer out of him on this.
            The new VW TDIs don't stink--other than the engine sounding slightly different, you'd hardly even know it was a diesel. I have a TDI Golf Wagon and adore it. The VW diesels are usually quite reliable too. The upkeep isn't too bad here, and most of my VW-owning friends who've bought the new generation VW diesels (2009 or later model years) are pleased with how good they've been to date. Although repairs are going to cost more than an American car, parts are certainly much cheaper than most other European cars.

Yes, it was more money than some other options, but the pricing was about the same as a comparable hybrid, and I don't have to worry about the thousands of dollars it would cost to replace a hybrid's battery in a few years, plus the environmental impact of battery disposal. Also, holy crap, it's fun to drive compared to my friend's Civic hybrid. Torque is good
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• I asked my husband via text and he said states with emissions standards they don't pass in and they're a PITA to work on you basically have to be specialized to work on them and that makes the cost of the car even higher.
              Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                I asked my husband via text and he said states with emissions standards they don't pass in and they're a PITA to work on you basically have to be specialized to work on them and that makes the cost of the car even higher.
                kaliforniastan

Comment

• I've said it before and I'll say it again: "weight" is a noun, not a verb!! You do not weight 150 pounds, you weigh 150 pounds!
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again: "weight" is a noun, not a verb!! You do not weight 150 pounds, you weigh 150 pounds!
                    it's both???

Comment

• Originally posted by kenn View Post
                      kaliforniastan
                      LOL.

We're in Ohio and whenevever my husband sees an owner of a turbo-diesel come into the shop he's at, he tells them to go to Midwestern Auto Group for any and all service. One person started complaining about the charges at MAG and my husband said, "hey, you bought the car. You should be able to afford the service."
                      Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by kenn View Post
                        it's both???
                        All right, so maybe it is!

It's still incorrect to say "I weight (however many) pounds." You can say, "I will weight the tarp down with these legless ducks."
                        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          The new VW TDIs don't stink--other than the engine sounding slightly different, you'd hardly even know it was a diesel. I have a TDI Golf Wagon and adore it. The VW diesels are usually quite reliable too. The upkeep isn't too bad here, and most of my VW-owning friends who've bought the new generation VW diesels (2009 or later model years) are pleased with how good they've been to date. Although repairs are going to cost more than an American car, parts are certainly much cheaper than most other European cars.

Yes, it was more money than some other options, but the pricing was about the same as a comparable hybrid, and I don't have to worry about the thousands of dollars it would cost to replace a hybrid's battery in a few years, plus the environmental impact of battery disposal. Also, holy crap, it's fun to drive compared to my friend's Civic hybrid. Torque is good
                          AFAIK you don't replace the entire battery in a hybrid, just cells at least that's what we were told by a Toyota salesman. Another problem with hybrids is they just simply can't do some things. We had to help tow a Honda hybrid out of the sand last summer. They had parked off the road in a sandy area and couldn't get the car to move.

There has been talk of Mahindra offering small diesel pickups here but theyre having problems bringing them here. On edit, it looks like this isn't such a good option anyway, turns out their gas mileage sucks.

No. 2 son has a Jetta TDI and loves it.
                          Last edited by Lynna; 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                            All right, so maybe it is!

It's still incorrect to say "I weight (however many) pounds." You can say, "I will weight the tarp down with these legless ducks."
                            I fail english
                            "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
                            Currant: 136 lbs
                            Goal: 125 lbs
                            11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Comment

• Why the fuck is the first paycheck always a fucking LIVE check?! I gave you my direct deposit info on the first day FOR A REASON.
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• GoTD: People who work in another location, knowing fully well what types of blood glucometers we carry and transfer a sales call to you and you can't service the person as we don't carry what they are looking for. I actually want to drive down to Florida and beat this idiot.
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X