Gripe of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    so, yeah, cut her loose. it sucks, but had to be done. no entitlement, woe-is-me crap in our offices anymore.
    so are you going to look for "hunger to work" more in your next practitioner?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• yeah.

fact is, all of our current group really want to make a living in these disciplines. they want to make it work. and they rely on and support each other. someone not working brings all of them down, makes the whole endeavor seem harder. but, each person's success builds everyone else up!

everyone was starting to feel a drag, and withdraw their energy from her. that doesn't help the process for anyone -- including her. then she starting "whinging" about not having clients, and the other practitioners suggested all sorts of things that worked for them, and she always whined "no, that won't work for my business. that won't work for me." You're right, it won't.

and it doesn't work for us.

so, we want people who want to build businesses. that's a big part of the equation.

Comment

• and, afterall, i'm learning.

when we bought the business, we inherited a lot of people who felt very entitled. they were also 'alpha females' who ruled the business (the owners did not and completely cowed to everything, and i mean every ridiculous thing, that these women demanded). so, when we came in, they were *hostile* and eventually left. those who remained have been awesome and driven.

as we have brought people in, some have not worked out, usually because they weren't ready for what we offer and what we ask of them. we're asking them to participate with each other -- to support each other -- which is not something usually done here in this line of work. and what we offer is pretty intensive too -- lots of work, lots of support on our part. and, we are more expensive than some of our competitors (they sublease from us), but we do offer more and a better brand and location. so, give/take.

end of the day, i'm looking for people who share our vision through and through. we have 12 so far, and three more gathering info (looking at the subleases, etc).

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
          yeah.

fact is, all of our current group really want to make a living in these disciplines. they want to make it work. and they rely on and support each other. someone not working brings all of them down, makes the whole endeavor seem harder. but, each person's success builds everyone else up!

everyone was starting to feel a drag, and withdraw their energy from her. that doesn't help the process for anyone -- including her. then she starting "whinging" about not having clients, and the other practitioners suggested all sorts of things that worked for them, and she always whined "no, that won't work for my business. that won't work for me." You're right, it won't.

and it doesn't work for us.

so, we want people who want to build businesses. that's a big part of the equation.
          When I advised on hiring people for sales (not the same as what you're doing but pertinent) #1 was hunger on the checklist, if they didn't have that they were useless even if they had everything else.
          Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
          Starting Weight: 294 pounds
          Current Weight: 235 pounds
          Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• Well said! There are other threads for spiritual enlightenment and self-flagellation.
            "I will stand for the truth I see, so that truth is seen in me."

Comment

• Originally posted by LJH View Post
              Hmmm, a new Primal-related gripe in my life - a husband who apparently resents my new-found energy and commitment to real food.

We just went to the market for a few things and there was a great deal of "Well, I guess we can't have - insert assortment of processed rubbish - anymore 'cause you won't eat it." and similar petulantly delivered comments. Mind you, 90% of it was stuff I never ate anyway but bought for him.

I have gone out of my way not to pressure him in any way to change his eating, have continued cooking the starches, breads and puddings that he lives on, served with several glasses of Pepsi at each meal. I've simply adjusted my meals to exclude anything non-primal and for some reason that pisses him off. Strange.

Anyone else with a mate who would prefer you stay tired and unhealthy?
              I have a mate who does three things: 1) sees me changing my eating habits and getting healthier, happier, and full of energy; 2) refuses to join me, or even come remotely close; 3) spends her entire evening complaining about her myriad health problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                My gripe of the day is dumbasses who pace beside you in your blind spot as you're driving .... in a gray car .... in the Portland gloom .... with no lights on. HELLO?! Ever heard of defensive driving?! You don't stay pacing in someone's blind spot -- you either move a bit up or fall a bit behind so as to ensure that you are seen. Dumbass.
                Oh my God I hate that!!! In general, I can think of three hundred FEWER laws we should have before I think of an additional one, with this important exception: when there is precipitation--any of it, at all--you MUST have your f*cking headlights on!!! Do you think we all have infrared vision? Do you think we can see the heat coming from your car's hood? Turn your g*ddamned lights on, you egocentric, inconsiderate prick!! You have a gray, white, or silver car? It goes DOUBLE for you! And for God's sake, get out of my blind spot.

Comment

• Monday.....to bed too late.....up too early.....unseasonably cold....

Comment

• GotD: People behind me in line at the grocery store (or wherever) who reach out and pet my hair just because it's long. UGHHH. So skeevy. They usually do it without even saying anything first, too -- I just suddenly feel it.

And then they usually say something like "Wow your hair is so long and pretty! You should give it to charity!" and proceed to lecture me about Locks of Love.

My analysis:
                    A) Don't pet me, I bite.
                    B) Yes, my hair is pretty -- on my head. It's only worth about $3 to Locks of Love. I'd rather keep my $3, thanks.
                    c) Most people think Locks of Love "makes your hair into wigs for cancer kids". That's not really what they do. Actually I consider them fairly shady, as charities go.
                    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                      GotD: People behind me in line at the grocery store (or wherever) who reach out and pet my hair just because it's long. UGHHH. So skeevy. They usually do it without even saying anything first, too -- I just suddenly feel it.

And then they usually say something like "Wow your hair is so long and pretty! You should give it to charity!" and proceed to lecture me about Locks of Love.

My analysis:
                      A) Don't pet me, I bite.
                      B) Yes, my hair is pretty -- on my head. It's only worth about $3 to Locks of Love. I'd rather keep my $3, thanks.
                      c) Most people think Locks of Love "makes your hair into wigs for cancer kids". That's not really what they do. Actually I consider them fairly shady, as charities go.
                      All this is why I rarely wear my hair down in public. There are days when I want to punch the next person who touches it and says something like "you have such lovely curls!" or "it's so soft!". Touching another person without their consent is creepy and a massive boundary violation. I can just imagine what it must be like to be pregnant and have people touching your belly all the time. I may have to restrain myself from punching people when that happens.

And yeah, if I want to support a cancer charity, I'll write a cheque to one with a good spending record and a solid research and support aspect, which will help a lot more than my hair (or my purchase of this month's pink product) ever will.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                        . c) Most people think Locks of Love "makes your hair into wigs for cancer kids". That's not really what they do. Actually I consider them fairly shady, as charities go.

Hmmm...what do they do then? Yes, I could look it up myself but that would eliminate the chance of someone to post a GOTD saying "Lazy people who wont do their own research"

Comment

• Back when my hair was much longer, I had people constantly reaching out to touch it, even as far back as HS. I developed a reaction that put people off of doing that: Touch me when I'm not expecting it, get kicked. Seriously. If you touched any part of me when unexpectedly from behind, I reflexively dropped into a back donkey kick. I've gotten a lot better about that. Now I just whirl around and "Excuse me?! That's part of me, not you. It may be pretty, but you have no right to touch it. Get bent."
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                            just imagine what it must be like to be pregnant and have people touching your belly all the time.
                            Yeah, I've experienced this: nothing like minding your own business washing your hands in the bathroom, then having some random member of the janitoral staff come up behind you and give ya the belly reacharound. Uhghh.

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                            Hmmm...what do they do then?
                            They sell your hair for about $3 (if it's in good enough condition to sell -- most American hair isn't because we dye it, dry it, wash it too often, etc.) Then they buy hair from overseas and use that to make wigs for people (not necessarily kids) who have permanent medical hair loss (so, not due to chemotherapy, that's typically temporary.) Then they sell those hairpieces to people (they might let them have it for free if you're super-poor but it can be as much as $3,000.)

Yet because of their sketchy marketing tactics in the past, there is now this commonly accepted urban legend that it's "free wigs for cancer kids", popularized by TV special-interest pieces of haircutting drives at elementary schools, teary-eyed little girls saying "I just want some other little girl to be able to enjoy having hair!" etc.

But it doesn't work that way. And even if it did, A) The American Cancer Society explicitly recommends artificial wings instead of human for immunologic safety reasons, B) They have a track record of a few too many years on the naughty list with the Better Business Bureau for my comfort, C) like I said, my hair's only worth $3. I'll donate $3 (or a lot more) to research instead.

Obviously I don't launch into this giant lecture when random strangers go "Oh have you heard of Locks of Love?" I usually just say, "Most people don't know what that charity actually does -- I prefer to donate to other organizations, in other ways."

But every so often, maybe 20% of the time, I get someone who basically calls me selfish for keeping my hair long, "It'll just grow back!" as if it's their personal mission to advocate for this charity they really know very little about. Very presumptuous. Do I walk up to random people and say "You look like you have blood! You should donate it to the Red Cross!" or "You must have money, you're being selfish! Donate it! You can always make more!"

Whew, rant over.

P.S.: Don't get me wrong, if you really DO care deeply about baldness and therefore want to support this charity in particular... then go to town. Or if you happen to be planning to cut your hair anyway, might as well donate it. But it makes me raise an eyebrow whenever I hear "My cousin got cancer so I donated my hair!" or "Yes, I make my four children grow their hair out every year so we can donate it."
                            Last edited by Jenny; 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM.
                            "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Wow, thanks for all the info. Perhaps, I am jaded but if I ever get cancer I figure my hair or lack there of is the least of my worries. But then again being one without much hair anyway, I never really think about it to be honest. I can't imagnine someone just walking up and touching me in a store - be it on the hair or elsewhere. I think violence might ensue.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                                Wow, thanks for all the info. Perhaps, I am jaded but if I ever get cancer I figure my hair or lack there of is the least of my worries. But then again being one without much hair anyway, I never really think about it to be honest. I can't imagnine someone just walking up and touching me in a store - be it on the hair or elsewhere. I think violence might ensue.
                                Try having your pregnant stomach touched by complete and utter strangers. I stepped on a woman's foot in the middle of the grocery store for that very thing.
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X