No announcement yet.

Gripe of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning snow off my car before driving to work. . . on March 25. . . 'Nuff said.
    A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for. ~John A. Shedd

Comment

• Originally posted by Velocity View Post
      GOTD: I'm beginning to heavily dislike graduate school. Research and theory are not my desired track...
      Argh, I love research and theory. Having to teach the same stuff to beginners for another year is what's driving me around the twist.
      If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

• The edge of my thumb decided to split again. Owch and grr.

Also (this is both gripe and hooray!) today was my last day working at the coffee shop. The hooray part is that is one more sign that I'm getting closer to taking off for AK for the summer! The gripe part is that I'm gonna have to go back to getting my coffee during business hours and PAYING for it! Sheesh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
          The edge of my thumb decided to split again. Owch and grr..
          I like liquid bandage for cuts, splits, hangnails, and it helps a lot for them to heal. I keep it in the kitchen as I like my knives very sharp, and sometimes I get over zealous in my cutting and chopping.
          This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
          Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

• Originally posted by Digby View Post
            I like liquid bandage for cuts, splits, hangnails, and it helps a lot for them to heal. I keep it in the kitchen as I like my knives very sharp, and sometimes I get over zealous in my cutting and chopping.
            I discovered that spray bandage is fantastic for shaving cuts. My DH cut himself before an important function and I thought, oh great, blood on a white shirt! I made a stencil out of a piece of kitchen paper and sprayed the cut. It worked really well.

My GOTD: Frakkin kids science project. Doesn't matter how hands off you try to be, they are invariably a PITA for parents. Teachers, enough with the projects already!
            If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

• GOTD: All your gripes suck. Go find me some entertainment!

Comment

• Originally posted by seaclam View Post
                Jury duty! Nuf said.
                If you ever want to get out of jury duty just let them know that you understand jury nullification.

Comment

• OT - can I ask why you're all so down on jury service? Maybe it's different over the pond, but here you do get paid (so you don't lose money, or not much money), and yeah I bet it's inconvenient but I see it as the price/responsibility for living in this society. As in, I believe juries are the least bad forms of trial; I'd want a jury if ever in that situation....? If all the intelligent folk are dodging the system, that leaves the schmuck on trial faced with a load of... not-so-intelligent folk. Justice?? Hmm.

(And yeah, I say "least bad" not "best" because people do suck!)

Comment

• GotD: I would love to do jury duty but they have called me only on important weeks in my life (honeymoon... another honeymoon... birth of each baby...) I'm sure they think I'm trying to dodge it with excuses at this point, but it's just bad timing! I have asked them if I could schedule for just a couple weeks later and each time they've said no and just tossed me back in the pool to wait a few years.
                    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by Grok View Post
                      If you ever want to get out of jury duty just let them know that you understand jury nullification.
                      I know that for many people jury duty is a big problem. I've only been called twice, and never sat. I actually would really like to do my part for the justice system, especially now I'm retired. I don't understand why it isn't possible to state when you are available. In several ways the call up could be handled better, but it is sad that most Americans view jury duty as a burden instead of a valuable part of a democracy.
                      This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I know that for many people jury duty is a big problem. I've only been called twice, and never sat. I actually would really like to do my part for the justice system, especially now I'm retired. I don't understand why it isn't possible to state when you are available. In several ways the call up could be handled better, but it is sad that most Americans view jury duty as a burden instead of a valuable part of a democracy.
                        America isn't a democracy
                        Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                        Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                        Current Weight: 235 pounds
                        Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• Arguably juries are one of the last forms of direct democracy. (Especially given their sovereign powers under jury nullification, as mentioned above.)
                          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Gotd: people hung up on sematics.

Comment

Gotd: people hung up on sematics.
                              people who fail to realize the advantages of a Republic over a democracy
                              Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                              Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                              Current Weight: 235 pounds
                              Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• so, i hate work muck ups.

i made a poor investment in a practitioner. we offered her marketing, time in the offices, etc, under the understanding and impression that she would work to build her business. I offered this to two other practitioners as well. Those two have returned on the investment -- both have thriving practices (or the foundation thereof) in 3 months.

This one, though, man, what a mess. First, she sent us an email saying "i won't be coming in unless there is a client." well, so far, we've gotten her about 20 clients with our marketing and she's not rebooked any of them. when i asked her why, she said "they aren't the kind of client i want." so, i asked her to identify what sorts of clients she wants. she can't articulate it. other practitioners make suggestions -- raising her prices, offering discounts, defining what she does, hanging out on her day off to talk with walk ins, and we suggest writing blogs, getting a process of education going (which we would set up and market for her), and so on. nothing is "reasonable" for her business.

finally, i say "look after all we have invested, the least you can do is show up on your day." then she snaps back that we've not done anything but pressure her to offer cheap massage services and that she "didn't study so long and hard to give discount massage services." never mind the fact that she's the least educated person in our offices. never mind the fact that everyone else in the offices (and her discipline) uses some form of massage as an entry point for many clients, and they;ve used walk ins and call ins to draw in business (eg, a person asks fr a massage, and nly the acupuncturist is available. he provides tui na, then explains how tuina and acupuncture will work to help xyz problems that the massage work revealed, then he offers a discount for the next two treatments, and voila! returning client!), and every single one of them is offering some sort of special or discount on a rolling basis to attract new clients. All of us are successful, but her lack of success is somehow *our* failing?

so, yeah, cut her loose. it sucks, but had to be done. no entitlement, woe-is-me crap in our offices anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X