Gripe of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Karma View Post
    A King Edward Island B&B decided to close down rather than stop selling their home raised eggs. A new law makes it illegal to use home grown eggs, not inspected by a federal inspector, in commercial settings. So this quaint little Bed and Breakfast that feeds their chickens organic table scraps and lets them peck all over the property and eat bugs can't serve those dangerous eggs to their clients? WTF.

Free-range egg ban shuts bed and breakfast - Prince Edward Island - CBC News
    That'll be the law of the land eventually.
    Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by geekgrrl View Post
      Nobody seems to drink cider over there
      Used to be preferred over beer, dropped dramatically around 1840s, probably related to the massive influx of German immigrants (largest group in usa)

Additionally, soft drinks targeted the same market as cider growers

Prohibition killed 1400+ breweries & ruined all the recipes for beer in mainstream beers

http://mason.gmu.edu/~drwillia/cider.html
      Last edited by kenn; 03-18-2011, 02:28 PM.
      Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
      Starting Weight: 294 pounds
      Current Weight: 235 pounds
      Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• I'm Canadian and not too familiar with the concept of jury duty. As I understand it, you get randomly selected to go down to the courthouse to be part of a jury, but beforehand, you have to be interviewed to make sure you'd be a good juror, right? And it's your civic duty to go down to that interview? But you can pretend to be racist or biased or a bad juror in some way and then you get to go home? And then do they ever call you again?
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
          I'm Canadian and not too familiar with the concept of jury duty. As I understand it, you get randomly selected to go down to the courthouse to be part of a jury, but beforehand, you have to be interviewed to make sure you'd be a good juror, right? And it's your civic duty to go down to that interview? But you can pretend to be racist or biased or a bad juror in some way and then you get to go home? And then do they ever call you again?
          How it works is #1 You must be a registered voter. They only pull from the registry of those that vote. #2 You get a letter in the mail explaining you were picked, when and where to show up and that you must call the night before the interview/trial starts. #3 At the courthouse you are in the courtroom and they ask general questions, depending on the type of case that is being tried. Basically if you seem to have any knowledge in any of the areas that are being tried, you are sent home. They want what basically an empty mind, someone who can be "non-biased." And yes, you can be called back but it would be for a different case and then the process starts all over again.
          Georgette

Comment

• People who can't understand relative risks.

People who post questions on internet forums when they clearly have not done the slightest amount of basic reading on the subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
              I suppose this is co-posted as a gripe and a bit of self-inflicted badness. Or something.

I really dislike that my job 3 days a week (at a coffee shop) is so thoroughly filled with crud I shouldn't be eating. The 'badness' part is that right now I keep giving in to myself and eating or drinking things that really aren't that good for me. Literally the ONLY things in the ENTIRE shop I can eat AND be primal would be black coffee (ew.) and carbonated water. Or tap water. Thats it. EVERYTHING else is sugar, grains, and/or large amounts of crappy dairy.
              Grr.

End rant.
              Do they at least have a fridge where you can keep something for your lunch? My work has various snacks and drinks but there's also not a single primal thing. I just bring my own food. It sucks, though, if free food is supposed to be a perq of the job and everyone gets it but you.

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                How it works is #1 You must be a registered voter.

A trick to this is to leave your sex blank when registering to vote. The random voter pool has to be representative of the population and since you have no sex registered the computer does not pick you as you fit no catagory. At least that is how it was explained to me. 17 years as a registered voter - 0 jury duty calls.

I probably just jinxed myself.

Comment

• Grumpy, you can get called for jury duty in Canada, but it happens a lot less often here because we have fewer jury trials (and fewer civil trials in general).

Canada's system of Justice
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by geekgrrl View Post
                    I was in the USA recently at a conference. O M G the food there was SO bad. I couldn't believe it. I got a few reasonably fry ups at Denny's (ignoring the oil factor) but even then - ugh, poor quality meat and sausage, and pale tasteless eggs. The hotel-provided breakfast was entirely wheat products. At the hotel where the conference was, they sold some Starbucks coffee - but only had SKIM milk!!!! I couldn't believe it - how disgusting is a Latte made with skim - but the shelves were full of sugar-laden crap otherwise. I went down to the next hotel to get one made with real milk.
                    Lol, geekgrrl.. welcome to the US of A, the land of caramel macchiatos (made with skim milk) and omelettes made with scrambled egg product. At least you didn't go to IHOP, where they proudly state that they add pancake batter to omelettes (to make it fluffy)!

A lot of us struggle with this - so many chains are crap. I used to find comfort in the McDonald's Bacon Ranch salad... all the components look good until you read the ingredients. Even their grilled chicken has wheat gluten in it, along with a couple dozen other ingredients.

Hence, the great selection at the grocery store... that's all we have left (with farmers markets & local growers) to ensure we know what is in our food.
                    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Karma View Post
                      A King Edward Island B&B decided to close down rather than stop selling their home raised eggs. A new law makes it illegal to use home grown eggs, not inspected by a federal inspector, in commercial settings. So this quaint little Bed and Breakfast that feeds their chickens organic table scraps and lets them peck all over the property and eat bugs can't serve those dangerous eggs to their clients? WTF.

Free-range egg ban shuts bed and breakfast - Prince Edward Island - CBC News
                      That is so damn sad. It's awful. And of course we are so apathetic these days, nobody notices the slow erosion of our freedom.

separate gripe:
                      My other frustration with bad food is that people will go 'oh well you're on holiday, indulge a little' or something along those lines, but a couple of days of bad food means that I get terrible tummyaches, waking up early, digestive system grinds to a halt and I feel horrible - not a nice way to spend a holiday! So they think you are being picky or difficult, but you aren't.
                      If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

• My gripe today: Vegans who feel superior to everyone else and call them "carnists".

I AM A PROUD CARNIST.
                        Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                          A trick to this is to leave your sex blank when registering to vote. The random voter pool has to be representative of the population and since you have no sex registered the computer does not pick you as you fit no catagory. At least that is how it was explained to me. 17 years as a registered voter - 0 jury duty calls.

I probably just jinxed myself.
                          It took 13 years and was only called up once.
                          Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
                            My gripe today: Vegans who feel superior to everyone else and call them "carnists".

I AM A PROUD CARNIST.
                            Proud carnist as well.

Do you want a vegan was back in past? A vegan was the village idiot who couldn't start a fire. My niece has that on a shirt.
                            Georgette

Comment

• My gripe for today - raw milk is illegal to sell for human consumption in North Carolina.

So I either drive to South Carolina or buy "pet-grade" raw milk. I'm thinking the latter and the more I get to know the folks the more "under the table" it can become.

OR I can buy some land and a cow. Actually, I like that idea best.

Comment

• Vegans who think they are spiritual and in touch with the planet. They couldn't be further removed from it in their thinking. I have a theory that vegans basically are terrified of death and view it as something horrible rather than something necessary and generative of new life.
                                You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                                X