No announcement yet.

Gripe of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was on friday but I'm just getting around to complaining about it here now:

Was having dinner with some family and my mom thought it'd be good to bring gluten-free food since I have a huge issue with it. So she got sushi for us, and I asked for something I hadn't had before (eel). Turns out it was drenched in sauce (which was pretty much all I could taste, it was reeeally sweet). I'm assuming it had soy sauce in it, since that night and for the next few days I was dealing with heartburn, headaches, bloating, and I'll spare you the rest of the details but it wasn't pretty. I'm sure the couscous that my cousin made for me didn't help, even though she assured me it was gluten-free. Which seems odd, because traditionally couscous is made from wheat. So who knows, maybe that was it too.

Fuck gluten. I'm finding out more and more that in the real world, it's really hard to avoid.

Comment

• Yes in the real world they are trying to murder everyone with food so it wont be called genocide
      Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
      Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
      Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by petriquor View Post
        This was on friday but I'm just getting around to complaining about it here now:

Was having dinner with some family and my mom thought it'd be good to bring gluten-free food since I have a huge issue with it. So she got sushi for us, and I asked for something I hadn't had before (eel). Turns out it was drenched in sauce (which was pretty much all I could taste, it was reeeally sweet). I'm assuming it had soy sauce in it, since that night and for the next few days I was dealing with heartburn, headaches, bloating, and I'll spare you the rest of the details but it wasn't pretty. I'm sure the couscous that my cousin made for me didn't help, even though she assured me it was gluten-free. Which seems odd, because traditionally couscous is made from wheat. So who knows, maybe that was it too.

Fuck gluten. I'm finding out more and more that in the real world, it's really hard to avoid.
        I've seen a gluten-free cous cous substitute made from rice, but yeah, the sauce on the eel most definitely has soy sauce in it. I've never seen eel served at a sushi place without it, either. As common as gluten sensitivities are getting, you would think restaurants would switch to tamari. I am not hugely sensitive but I know it's bad for my autoimmune condition and it does give me swelling and joint pain. It pretty much takes all Chinese and Korean restaurants off the list for me.

Comment

• My winders notebook today told me I'm totally infected with viruses and it wont let me run any applications or fix my notebook unless I pay $70.

I will never buy another Winders product again.

Hopefully I can install linux on this notebook otherwise it's just going to become a brick.

Comment

• ^Please note that the thing telling you to pay to fix it is in fact a virus!

If you can boot into Safe Mode with Networking (hit the F8 key while booting the computer) and download and install Malwarebytes, you may be able to get rid of it.
            Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by Grok View Post
              My winders notebook today told me I'm totally infected with viruses and it wont let me run any applications or fix my notebook unless I pay $70.

I will never buy another Winders product again.

Hopefully I can install linux on this notebook otherwise it's just going to become a brick.

Delve deep into the abyss with linux my friend. You'll be glad you did. Or follow what nameless says.

Download | Ubuntu
              Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
              Follow me on google+
              Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
              "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

• Then use AVG for regular browsing.

Spybot also is awesome for boot time virus scanning

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

• My GotD: some hard drives on the email server crashed yesterday, causing the entire company to go without email for at least 4 hours. Email is acting up again today, though the bad drives were replaced. One of the IT guys in my office has a crashed computer (system recovery partition decided to name itself C so the damn thing won't load Windows) and I can't seem to fix it. Today is not a good day for technology.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• steal a sys disk from someone and use fdisk to force the recovery partiton to be z or d or whatever

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

• Here is my gripe for the day: someone invited me to dinner. It really sucks.

It sucks because they are going out of their way to be nice. I could give you the whole story, but trust me...this is an extremely nice couple. They made the invitation out genuine kindness. Trust me: I'm not the kind of person that everyone is clamoring to have over for dinner. Because of the total circumstances, it isn't an invitation that I can not decline.

The sucky part is that it is also a person who is quite certain that sugars and carbohydrates of every kind are the cornerstone of civilization. They know that I don't do stuff like that. We've had conversations about it, and they don't get it. The last conversation was about PB2. As in Peanut Butter, not Primal Blueprint. After all that I have said about what I eat, I still have to explain that I'm not interested in PB2.

So, I am quite certain that there will be nothing on the menu that will be acceptable. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a veggie or a meat that hasn't been assaulted by grain or sugar. But I doubt it.

I will go and I will eat it because it is the right thing to do. Maybe I can go purge in the alley when they aren't looking.
                      Last edited by tplank; 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                        ^Please note that the thing telling you to pay to fix it is in fact a virus!

If you can boot into Safe Mode with Networking (hit the F8 key while booting the computer) and download and install Malwarebytes, you may be able to get rid of it.
                        Thanks for the advice, I might give that a try if I can't get linux on it.

Originally posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
                        Delve deep into the abyss with linux my friend. You'll be glad you did. Or follow what nameless says.

Download | Ubuntu
                        Yeah I run Fedora on my main machine. But ever since I upgraded to F16 this weekend my router craps out after about 10 minutes and I have to power cycle my router. How F16 can screw my router I don't know. I'm going to try and upgrade dd-wrt this weekend.

Comment

• Here's a split gripe/rave/oh God I don't know what my feelings are doing:

Yesterday one of my bras committed suicide in the wash. Great, now I'm down to one, and have to go shopping for new ones. I HATE bra shopping. I've always been busty, and it's a struggle just to find my size, let alone something that's not butt-ugly. Well, at least it died now, when the after-Christmas sales are going on. Then, when I go the store and get measured, I discover that I've gone down a band size (Yay! 34 inches!) and gone up a cup size (DD...seriously, boobs?). So on the one hand...yay for slowing taking off the weight I gained due to two months of depression and shitty medication while still keeping (and adding to!) my assets. On the other hand, I also dropped $115 on undergarments. Add to that, this just makes it even more difficult to find shirts that fit properly, and I'm into an esoteric subcultural fashion that doesn't usually accommodate the mammarily gifted.

DAMMIT BOOBS WHY ARE YOU DIFFICULT?!

Comment

• I'm NOT busty (barely a B) and I hate bra shopping too. When you're a B, they assume you want padding in every single bra. It's almost impossible to buy any without. And it's not that I'm so much against a little... insulation, it's the insinuation that a B cup just isn't enough and you NEED padding.

My GOTD: I'm planning a visit to my mom's pretty soon. She said she wants to go grocery shopping with me because she doesn't have any idea what I can eat while I'm there. While I appreciate her attempt to be accomodating... I sent her Primal Body, Primal Mind A MONTH AGO! And she's a very avid "book-a-day" reader, so I know it's not a time issue.

I just know I'm going to get the All That Fat Can't Be Healthy lecture.
                            Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sudenveri View Post
                              On the other hand, I also dropped $115 on undergarments. Add to that, this just makes it even more difficult to find shirts that fit properly, and I'm into an esoteric subcultural fashion that doesn't usually accommodate the mammarily gifted.

DAMMIT BOOBS WHY ARE YOU DIFFICULT?!
                              Welcome to my world. 32DD is hell. If I didn't live in tanks and t-shirts anyhow I would be very unhappy. I almost always wash by hand or use a lingerie bag because of the expense/rarity of finding a decent bra.
                              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

• My asthma's back and I know precisely why: I can't afford grass fed beef this month and the store ran out of omega 3 eggs.
                                If I eat about 2.5 to 3 pounds of meat a day how much o-3 will I need to balance it out?
                                In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Working...
                                X