Gripe of the Day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ToniWA View Post
    I've had this ~ it was stress for me. I was planning my parents' first trip out here and I was buckling over from the pain and had no idea what the hell was the matter. Once they arrived and I lived through it - pains disappeared.

Or if it's on your upper right side, just under the ribs, then be cautious and ask the doc.
    Thanks. It's more in the very middle of my abdomen. It could be school-related stress.

Comment

• Originally posted by spakesneaker View Post
      I'm hungry but I don't want to eat because, since Saturday, my stomach has been hurting (mild, sharp pain in the upper abdomen) whenever I eat. And since yesterday it's continued into after and between meals too. Wtfffff. Trying not to freak out that eating primally for this long has created some kind of stomach/digestive problem for me.
      I had this last year after several months on primal. It lasted for a month or so (I think), and sometimes it was much worse than others. Occasionally the pain would get substantially worse, and once or twice I threw up shortly after eating.

It was a hard time. I wasn't under any particular stress that I can recall at the time, but the fact that I could not eat without pain and/or nausea was itself very stressful. I would be famished every morning, but afraid to eat because I knew what was coming. When I was very careful to only eat a couple hundred calories of bland food at each meal (crackers, rice, apple juice, etc.), the pain was minimal and bearable. This made getting enough calories each day almost impossible, hence the extreme hunger each morning.

After a month or so, the symptoms gradually went away, and I apparently recovered from whatever was wrong. I had scheduled a consultation with a gastroenterologist, but I started feeling better before my appointment so I cancelled it.

It was one of those times in life when I realized how much I take my health for granted.

I would recommend seeing a doctor if possible. Meanwhile, eat sparingly and avoid foods that make you feel noticeably worse. Good luck.

Comment

• Dear Co-worker,

Do not go on and on about your bad back, the surgery for your back etc. when you wear your hooker shoes to work.

BMA!
        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• @spakesneaker: you're, what, 22-ish, right? Do you know who Stevie Nicks is?
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big L View Post
            I had this last year after several months on primal. It lasted for a month or so (I think), and sometimes it was much worse than others. Occasionally the pain would get substantially worse, and once or twice I threw up shortly after eating.

It was a hard time. I wasn't under any particular stress that I can recall at the time, but the fact that I could not eat without pain and/or nausea was itself very stressful. I would be famished every morning, but afraid to eat because I knew what was coming. When I was very careful to only eat a couple hundred calories of bland food at each meal (crackers, rice, apple juice, etc.), the pain was minimal and bearable. This made getting enough calories each day almost impossible, hence the extreme hunger each morning.

After a month or so, the symptoms gradually went away, and I apparently recovered from whatever was wrong. I had scheduled a consultation with a gastroenterologist, but I started feeling better before my appointment so I cancelled it.

It was one of those times in life when I realized how much I take my health for granted.

I would recommend seeing a doctor if possible. Meanwhile, eat sparingly and avoid foods that make you feel noticeably worse. Good luck.
            I'm realizing it's more around the bellybutton and am starting to wonder if it's appendicitis. Will definitely go see a doctor. Damn.... I was hoping to go through the rest of 2011 without having to go see a doctor.

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
            @spakesneaker: you're, what, 22-ish, right? Do you know who Stevie Nicks is?
            Haha, yes. I used to listen to Fleetwood Mac... not a lot, but I did go through a phase in high school when I tried to familiarize myself with popular bands from before my time (and came to the unpopular realization that I really hate Led Zeppelin. I wanted so badly to like them because the boy I had a crush on did). On a related note, just the other day I was thinking how sad it is that kids younger than me will probably never know who Mick Jagger is, or realize the full extent of his greatness, and will only know him from a throwaway line in a Ke$ha song. Although I will admit that I never willingly listened to Journey until Glee basically provided them with a comeback (also, I always associated Stevie Nicks more with country music for some reason. I think it was because of something I heard on the radio).
            Last edited by spakesneaker; 09-14-2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• I do!!! In fact my daughter was singing a song of hers and had to ask who was singing.. of course she would not know- she is 9. But she thought Stevie was a guy :P
              Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Thinking back to my different musical phases.... I actually refrained for a long time from listening to indie artists like Rilo Kiley, Regina Spektor, Arctic Monkeys, etc., just because a) I was trying to do my part in stopping the hipster pandemic, and b) god, what stupid hipster names (no offense if any of those is your name). Turns out I was actually depriving myself of some music I ended up liking a lot.

Comment

On a related note, just the other day I was thinking how sad it is that kids younger than me will probably never know who Mick Jagger is, or realize the full extent of his greatness, and will only know him from a throwaway line in a Ke$ha song.
                  This is a crime against humanity.

Really, I blame my generation and their crap parenting skills, not the young 'uns. Twelve years old, I was already a rocker girl, saving up my allowance for a trip to the record store.

Hey, I understand about trying to like a band for the sake of a boy but just cannot do it, no matter how much you try. That band for me was Grateful Dead.

Comment

I'm realizing it's more around the bellybutton and am starting to wonder if it's appendicitis. Will definitely go see a doctor. Damn.... I was hoping to go through the rest of 2011 without having to go see a doctor.
                    Mine was in the vicinity of the belly button too -- sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Comment

• Going to chip in and say I'm 21 and know who Stevie Nicks is! I have the best of Fleetwood Mac on my iTunes
                      My Primal Journal

Comment

• OK, you gals are giving me some hope here. If you ever want to be AMAZED by the sheer power of goddess energy, look up live performances of Fleetwood Mac circa '75-'76 on YouTube. (And the Wilson sisters and their band, Heart, too, at around that time.) Glory be, it's a wonder to bear witness to a woman claiming full ownership of all her beauty and power!

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                          OK, you gals are giving me some hope here. If you ever want to be AMAZED by the sheer power of goddess energy, look up live performances of Fleetwood Mac circa '75-'76 on YouTube. (And the Wilson sisters and their band, Heart, too, at around that time.) Glory be, it's a wonder to bear witness to a woman claiming full ownership of all her beauty and power!
                          I <3 Heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                            Really, I blame my generation and their crap parenting skills, not the young 'uns. Twelve years old, I was already a rocker girl, saving up my allowance for a trip to the record store.
                            Me and the kids spent a LOT of time in the car when they were little. I used to put on a classic rock station, then quiz them on who it was. At first, they were just annoyed, but then I started actually giving out small money prizes for correct answers. They got so good at it that I eventually had to give it up or go broke. But to this day, my oldest kid knows quite a few 70s rock bands, and he wasn't born until 1991.
                            Durp.

Comment

• My gripe for today:

Why can everyone and their mother eat canned tuna out to wazoo, but the second I open a can of wild caught Alaskan salmon someone asks if I'm eating cat food?

Comment

• Dear Co-Workers,

Your frozen yogurt is not healthy just because you put berries on it.

Also, kid who talks about his stupid isolationist gym routine every day -- I don't want (or need) diet advice from you. You sit on the toilet for two hours after lunch every day. Ewwwww. Why would I eat the whole wheat-low-fat-turkey crap that you do?!

Sincerely,
                                Someone who's gonna be able to kick all your pansy grain-eating egg-and-shrimp-eschewing asses in less than a year (grok willing)

Comment

Working...
                                X