Reality check: Counting calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Sure, but are you happy to count for the rest of your life? It was getting too repetitive for me, though it was fun for the first month. No negatitivity, just boredom.
    I don't think I'll need to count forever, just until I reach my goal and get a good homeostasis point going. Yes, it could get boring long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      I don't think I'll need to count forever, just until I reach my goal and get a good homeostasis point going. Yes, it could get boring long term.
      I love stats and figures (that was part of my degree background) and play with numbers just for fun. However, I would quickly tire of doing Fitday every day! BUT what this process has shown me is what certain portions actually weigh as opposed to what I kinda of guessed they might! LOL! I'm probably out by a factor of 50% with some foods - thinking portions are smaller than they really are so I've been eating more than I thought (probably some psychological kidology going on there!).

What I have found really helpful is playing about with different food options and seeing the effect it has on the macros - getting the balance between protein and fat better has really made a difference with feeling satisfied and not finding myself on the hunt for more food and exceeding what I really need.

The funny thing is that I know from years of 'successful - and there's a whole new thread brewing on that one (!)' endurance racing my body is an uber-efficient fat burner so if I'd stopped to think about it piling in fat was likely to lead to gain at some point (particularly when I'm less active) because my body is so efficient! And a very useful thing I can take away from this whole experiment is that when I'm doing some endurance events (note the word event, not race!) - like my Pyrenean traverse this summer, the way to fuel it without bankrupting myself in restaurants will be simple - be more liberal with the olive oil and pack a bag of nuts :-)
      Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Comment

• Today's eating ...

Eggs and bacon with cherry tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast 6:30
        2 x Nakd bars on bike
        Chicken and shrimp BAS plus 85% with coffee and a little cream 13:45 after bike ride and yoga stretch
        Aberdeen Angus Fillet steak, mushrooms and leeks sauteed

Training - 3:15 ride on bike outside, very windy, varied route including hills 44 miles, 20 minutes of yoga stretching on return

Total calories - 2,030 calories - 130 g fat/60.5 g carbs/154 g protein - 57%/12%/31% - adding some camembert so another 145 calories 17 g of fat and 11 g of protein - that's a lot of protein today!

More carbs and calories today as that's a long bike ride - not fully satisfied though so need to go get some more calories - cheese - and I will be IFing till lunch tomorrow to allow for early swim and yoga - think I'll probably use Primal Fuel though after my swim or I'll be running too low!

Been a difficult day, my friend was confirmed as having had a heart attack yesterday, how he managed to get himself home on his bike I have no idea. Will have to have a stent fitted, no cholesterol issues or heart disease probably a congenital problem waiting to happen when heart under strain (he's been racing for 20 years), it has really made me think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          I agree. I can eat to satiety and tons of cals as long as it's primal and lowish carb (below 75) and maintain my weight. To drop it, I need to lower the calories!

I've been losing weight again (5 lbs so far) but I'm definitely restricting my calories, which means avoiding tons of heavy cream, coconut products etc. I'm not going low fat, but I'm not consuming fat like it's candy! lol BUT if I am craving fat, I definitely am listening to my body.

Seems to be working so far!!!
          The more I see the less I know for sure.
          -John Lennon

Comment

• Today's Food
            L – “protein salad”: 2 chicken thighs, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 5 slices of “Ready Crisp” bacon, 1 tsp of bacon fat, and garlic.

It was too dry. It needed something else…more fat maybe?
            550 Calories, 47 g Protein, 2 g Carb, 38 g Fat.

D – bone-in ham, scalloped potatoes, (about 1 C of each) 1 vanilla coconut heart

CRONoMeter #s:
            Cal: 1036
            Protein: 69 g (28%)
            Carbs: 26 g (10%)
            Fat: 60 g (52%)
            Alcohol: 10%

I am full. I don’t see HOW I could eat more any protein without becoming a Zero Carber…and I'm not about to do that!

(I made Coconut Hearts again. This time I thought I’d try adding some pure vanilla. Not a good idea. It changed the consistency. It lost the creaminess and became “crumbly”. Don’t try it. )
            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
            "Moderation sucks." Suse
            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Today's eating

IF'd breakfast
              Primal Fuel before bike ride
              Late lunch of big bowl of home made vegetable and chicken soup
              Nakd bar, macadamia, a little 85% - snacks whilst doing the phenomenally boring language editing job
              Homemade Primal shepherds pie for dinner

Fitday stats

1,769 calories - 123.9 g of fat 69.5 g of carbs 99.1 g of protein

Protein 25% fat 60% carbs 15%

The carbs are too high but I suspect they are a bit lower in reality but it's hard to estimate in the soup as it was a frozen portion from before tracking. I've eaten more vegetables today than is normal for me and I don't usually have Primal Fuel either - good protein but knocked the carbs up. Protein a little down but it was too high yesterday and given my training today the calories should still give me a deficit for the day. As I type I feel completely full!

Training ... swim at 7:00 35 minutes, bike ride 1:10 with Mr Grok then 90 minutes of Yoga class.

Tomorrow I shall return to a big protein breakfast, minimizes the carbs for a couple of days and cut out the snacks if possible!

This process has really refocussed my mind on what are good food choices and which are less good and I can see I've drifted to the less good ones too often over the winter hence the weight (fat and inches) gain. Be interesting to see what the scales show Sunday morning! I'm not cutting the small amout of 85% though - it does my soul good :-)

Comment

• Hey all,
                Thanks for keeping this going without me. I've been a bit out of it for a day or two due to a case of bad shellfish. Feeling better now. I gave the counting a break while I got my system back to normal. Managed to come out even on the weight.

Comment

• Yikes on the bad shellfish. That's miserable.

So I, too, am focusing more on protein. I'm having a tough time. To get enough protein, it means eating when not hungry. That seems wrong, somehow, but it's the only way I can stuff it all in! Anyone having this problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by JenCat View Post
                    Yikes on the bad shellfish. That's miserable.

So I, too, am focusing more on protein. I'm having a tough time. To get enough protein, it means eating when not hungry. That seems wrong, somehow, but it's the only way I can stuff it all in! Anyone having this problem?
                    It seems to vary day by day to be honest. If I have a big protein breakfast, ie 4 eggs, some ham etc and then a decent portion at dinner many hours later it's fine.

Mark's recommendation is 0.7 - 1 g of protein per LEAN lb of body mass where as here we've been focussing a bit higher. I suspect in my case I'm better at a bit less than 1 g per 1 lb of goal weight as the excess will generate some carb metabolism if I overdo it (which I did yesterday I think!). The easiest way is to use some protein powder or as Art favours, particularly for women, 5-10 g of BCAA with each meal. I haven't tried that myself though.

BTW just to put it in context - with a 123 lb goal weight and I'd like to be around 16-18% bf I'd be looking at 102 gs of protein rather than 123 g, that's a 20% increase and a noticeable difference, another 4 ounce steak near enough!

@Paleobird - oh dear, that's not good, I'm surprised you didn't lose the remaining 23 lbs LOL!

Comment

• Thanks for this thread, ladies. I have been counting calories, but I see now I have not been eating nearly enough protein. It is too easy for me to get carried away with the coconut products, and those calories add up fast. I'm going to really focus on upping the protein w/o adding in more calories and see how it goes.

Comment

• Yes, lesson learned, if you don't know how long the raw oysters have been sitting out on the all you can eat Japanese buffet line, don't eat them.

Coconut products can become like crack. I'm not buying any more except cooking oil (and even that I'm going through much more slowly) until I get these excess pounds off.

Comment

Yup. Even on days when I`m eating it at every meal I`m only a bit above 100. I weigh 144 so I need close to 100. Eating protein at every meal plus a protein drink (muscle milk powder and milk) is when I get the closest.
                          "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
                          www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

• Ugh Paleo! Sorry you went through that...or it went through you...sorry, couldn`t resist

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelda View Post

Mark's recommendation is 0.7 - 1 g of protein per LEAN lb of body mass where as here we've been focussing a bit higher.
                              Please refresh my memory on how to figure LBM

Comment

Yikes on the bad shellfish. That's miserable.

Thanks.

You have to pick your protein sources for density. Pick ones that give you a higher ratio of protein to fat&carbs. Eggs, bison, seafood (but not the raw oysters) etc. That way you won't get too stuffed before you get your protein.

Comment

Working...
                                X