Reality check: Counting calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google "stifado" or "stifatho" - a greek recipe
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      Do you have any good recipes because this is a first for me? I figure low and slow in the crockpot with onion carrots red wine, and just about anything will taste good.
      I think there is something to be said for following in the grok prints of the primal people who lived in your particular part of the world. If you live in the midwest, maybe some more bison in your diet. But the early peoples of the south western americas would have been living on mostly seafood and some small game like rabbits, game birds, and maybe an occasional deer. That's what I was thinking when I bought the bunny. Now I actually have to cook it.
      Unfortunately, I don't. I wanna be right over to eat the rabbit, because it's something I've never tried, lol. My town is really, really small so I can never find anything other than your basic meats. Crockpot method sounds good, though.

Comment

Well, all my MDA friends, I would like you to join me in a moment of silence as I bid a fond farewell to the last of my bacon.

6 eggs made into egg foo yung with Konjac root noodles + wheatgrass juice
        The last two curry chicken boobs
        Lettuce/spinach BAS with BACON all over the top of it and it was goooooooooood.

Because I used some of the drippings to make the dressing, my calorie total is just a smidge over 1500 so no chocolate or wine for me tonight. Plus my protein is still a little low for the day. Leaner meaner protein choices are definitely the way to make this work.

Tomorrow's culinary adventure : cooking rabbit stew
        I think some people OD on bacon when others “use” bacon. I fall into the second category. I use approx 2 bacon strips when cooking just for the grease (and for the on nom noms) and then I cook my protein and veggies in it… I did that today, 2 diced bacon strips, 2 chicken boobs, 1 head of broccoli.

I don’t know the breakdown, but I assume it’s mostly protein, then fat, then whatever carbs broccoli has. I don't always do this, but I mostly do this... other times I use coco oil. I hate to see you say bye to bacon but if you must then you must!

I only overdose on bacon on the weekends, Sunday breakfast what up!!!
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Well, you're hitting a good total number of calories but you've got nuts, fruit, and sweet potato crowding out your protein.

The way I look at it is this. It's like your household budget. The one thing that is non-negotioble is your rent/mortgage. You don't pay that, you got problems. Protein is like your rent/mortgage payment. The carb and fats are like the budget lines for movies and shoes. If you see fewer movies, you can have more shoes. But none of that matters if you are not paying your rent. You will be sleeping in the theater in some really pretty shoes. Get your protein first. Then fit the other two in.
          awesome analogy!!
          "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
          www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

• Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            I only overdose on bacon on the weekends, Sunday breakfast what up!!!
            Same here. I occasionally put it in a soup or stew but I generally make it maybe once a week. I buy the uncured stuff so less (if any) nitrites and trates.
            "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
            www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

• Originally posted by pattyd View Post
              Same here. I occasionally put it in a soup or stew but I generally make it maybe once a week. I buy the uncured stuff so less (if any) nitrites and trates.
              I don’t like the taste or price of the uncured kind, I find nitrates and nitrites get my pull up numbers up.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                I don’t like the taste or price of the uncured kind, I find nitrates and nitrites get my pull up numbers up.
                So that's what I'm doing wrong! I'd better start upping my processed meat quota.
                My Journal

Comment

• I've got cajun seasoned beef heart jerky in the dehydrator and rabbit stew in the crockpot. My house smells really good. Rabbit is really lean meat. Even if I ate the whole bunny, it would only be 480 calories but 64 gr. of protein. And zero carbs and only 24 gr of fat. I got my bunny at the Asian supermarket. They eat all kinds of interesting things.

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                    So that's what I'm doing wrong! I'd better start upping my processed meat quota.
                    Yep, there is a bit of hypocrisy involved in proudly stating how our WOE is all about un-processed real foods and then scarfing down bacon. Even the really expensive pastured kind without chemicals is still processed and involves large quantities of salt and a fair amount of sugar. Let's not kid ourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by peril View Post
                      Google "stifado" or "stifatho" - a greek recipe
                      Stifado just seems to be the general term for stew but I googled rabbit stifado and got some interesting recommendations like adding cinnamon to the mix. It smells divine.

Comment

• I found some whey protein powder that is only minimally sweetened with stevia and actually tastes pretty good. I had that mixed with unsweetened chocolate almond milk for breakfast. Plus my wheatgrass of course.
                        IFed lunch because I was out walking and running wind sprints with the hound.
                        Dinner was bunny stew. OH YUM.
                        Now nibbling on beef heart jerky with a glass of wine and still only at 1300 calories for the day.

Comment

• How was your rabbit stew?
                          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse
                          "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Today:

Food
                            12:30 – C of left over pork loin
                            5pm – 2 coconut hearts (I was on the road)
                            7pm – 1 C of ground beef fried with a few fried onions and tomatoes
                            9pm - Chai

CRONoMeter #s:
                            Cal: 733
                            Protein: 55 g (32%)
                            Carbs: 19 g (10%)
                            Fat: 47 g (58%)

I probably didn’t eat enough today.
                            But I'm not really hungry...
                            And I probably shouldn’t have had the 10 Mini Eggs.
                            But, hey, last year I would have eaten a bag of them. Today I stopped at 10
                            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                            "Moderation sucks." Suse
                            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Yummy. I put the whole bunny plus carrots, onion, brussels sprouts, garlic and secret spices in the crockpot all day. Note to self learned by tracking. Ease off on the carrots next time. They put me just a bit over target for carbs today. Otherwise I hit all the markers and am pleasantly full. Jerky seems to be a good way for people who say, "I couldn't possibly eat that much protein", to get it in without resorting to supplements. When it's dry it doesn't look like such a large amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                                Today:

Food
                                12:30 – C of left over pork loin
                                5pm – 2 coconut hearts (I was on the road)
                                7pm – 1 C of ground beef fried with a few fried onions and tomatoes
                                9pm - Chai

CRONoMeter #s:
                                Cal: 733
                                Protein: 55 g (32%)
                                Carbs: 19 g (10%)
                                Fat: 47 g (58%)

I probably didn’t eat enough today.
                                But I'm not really hungry...
                                And I probably shouldn’t have had the 10 Mini Eggs.
                                But, hey, last year I would have eaten a bag of them. Today I stopped at 10
                                What are Mini Eggs and did you count them in your totals?

Comment

Working...
                                X