• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bodhi View Post
    What is a coconut heart?
    Creamed Coconut

Take a box of creamed coconut.
    While its still in the bag, warm it up (just a little) and work the oil into the coconut, until it is completely mixed together.
    Then pour it into a silicone ice cube tray.
    They harden in a very short time.
    I called mine hearts 'cause that's the shape of my ice cube tray

The Math:
    170 g in a package of creamed coconut,
    I made 16 coconut hearts from one package.
    That's 10.6 g per heart.

Then using the info on the box I figured out the following:

73 C, 7.3 g Fat, 2.3 g Carbs, 0.6 g Protein / 10.6g heart.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• box of creamed coconut.
      And where do you find creamed coconut? I've found the milk, the oil, the dried, but not the creamed
      Keep it Simple Silly...Go Caveman

My Blog

Comment

• I think coconut cream is similar to coconut 'butter' which you can make by whirling shredding coconut in teh food processor.
        Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IntrinsicArt View Post
          And where do you find creamed coconut? I've found the milk, the oil, the dried, but not the creamed
          I've found it in a large grocery store, in the International foods section.
          Near the dried and the canned coconut
          This is what the box looks like.
          And the creamed coconut looks like this if you don't work the oil into the coconut:

"Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
          "Moderation sucks." Suse
          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelda View Post
            I really think we should have persuaded him to refilm them in less clothing :-)
            Does anyone else feel rather inadequate seeing his great torso at the top of every page?
            I like the way you think, Kelda. No, it doesn't make me feel inadequate, just lustful.

Comment

• About coconut. As much as I love the stuff I think it is getting relegated to the occasional indulgence rather that dietary staple category. It doesn't provide much protein in exchange for all that fat and carbs.

I have some I got at an Asian market that comes in handy little 50 gram packets, perfect for snacking, right? Yeah, that little 50 gram packet has 350 calories, 14 grams of carbs, 32 grams of fat, and only 3 grams of protein.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                About coconut. As much as I love the stuff I think it is getting relegated to the occasional indulgence rather that dietary staple category. It doesn't provide much protein in exchange for all that fat and carbs.

I have some I got at an Asian market that comes in handy little 50 gram packets, perfect for snacking, right? Yeah, that little 50 gram packet has 350 calories, 14 grams of carbs, 32 grams of fat, and only 3 grams of protein.
                That's one of the reasons I love the hearts - 10.6 g and only 73 calories

Today's Food
                11:00 – C cauliflower, C cucumber, 2 mushrooms, balsamic vinegar and macadamia oil, C tuna, orange, 4 macadamia nuts
                2:30 – 4 macadamia nuts, 2 coconut hearts, 12 g 85% Chocolate (in the car)
                D – 1 large, thick pork loin chops, of a sweet potato, C frozen mixed vegetables, C jarred mandarin orange segments, Chai

CRONoMeter #s:
                Cal: 1044
                Protein: 61 g (24%)
                Carbs: 68 g (24%)
                Fat: 62 g (52%)

Hmmm…why so low????
                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Well, you're hitting a good total number of calories but you've got nuts, fruit, and sweet potato crowding out your protein.

The way I look at it is this. It's like your household budget. The one thing that is non-negotioble is your rent/mortgage. You don't pay that, you got problems. Protein is like your rent/mortgage payment. The carb and fats are like the budget lines for movies and shoes. If you see fewer movies, you can have more shoes. But none of that matters if you are not paying your rent. You will be sleeping in the theater in some really pretty shoes. Get your protein first. Then fit the other two in.

Comment

• Wow, those sound delicious!!! I'll have to hunt down...or gather up...some creamed coconut.

The way I look at it is this. It's like your household budget. The one thing that is non-negotioble is your rent/mortgage. You don't pay that, you got problems. Protein is like your rent/mortgage payment. The carb and fats are like the budget lines for movies and shoes. If you see fewer movies, you can have more shoes. But none of that matters if you are not paying your rent. You will be sleeping in the theater in some really pretty shoes. Get your protein first. Then fit the other two in.
                    I like the way you think Paleobird.
                    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Comment

Well, you're hitting a good total number of calories but you've got nuts, fruit, and sweet potato crowding out your protein.

Good point, it makes sense.

But in my house I'm not "in charge" of paying the mortgage...I buy the shoes

I guess I still think about a "visual balance" on my plate...or over the day...
                      "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                        I guess I still think about a "visual balance" on my plate...or over the day...
                        The problem about visual balance is that some foods like coconut pack a lot of carbs and fat into a very small package. It doesn't look like that much but it is.

Comment

• I meant more so with the veggies and a bit with the fruit.

I definitely don't try to visually balance coconut hearts to my meat!!

The hearts are a treat. Better a heart than gummy worms!
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Well, all my MDA friends, I would like you to join me in a moment of silence as I bid a fond farewell to the last of my bacon.

6 eggs made into egg foo yung with Konjac root noodles + wheatgrass juice
                            The last two curry chicken boobs
                            Lettuce/spinach BAS with BACON all over the top of it and it was goooooooooood.

Because I used some of the drippings to make the dressing, my calorie total is just a smidge over 1500 so no chocolate or wine for me tonight. Plus my protein is still a little low for the day. Leaner meaner protein choices are definitely the way to make this work.

Tomorrow's culinary adventure : cooking rabbit stew

Comment

Tomorrow's culinary adventure : cooking rabbit stew
                              I'll be right over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enamel View Post
                                I'll be right over.
                                Do you have any good recipes because this is a first for me? I figure low and slow in the crockpot with onion carrots red wine, and just about anything will taste good.
                                I think there is something to be said for following in the grok prints of the primal people who lived in your particular part of the world. If you live in the midwest, maybe some more bison in your diet. But the early peoples of the south western americas would have been living on mostly seafood and some small game like rabbits, game birds, and maybe an occasional deer. That's what I was thinking when I bought the bunny. Now I actually have to cook it.

Comment

Working...
                                X