No announcement yet.

Reality check: Counting calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would rather eat my steak and eggs than take supplemental BCAAs. I think the steak and eggs taste better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      I would rather eat my steak and eggs than take supplemental BCAAs. I think the steak and eggs taste better.
      in my experience ANYTHING tastes better than BCAAS - I do use them before a hard workout (I can't remember why though, it predates Primal and is from my CW chronic cardio days, I just never stopped. It was something about retaining my hard earned muscle as I recall) but I also eat a lot of tasty protein now. Maybe I am getting too much protein now. Eek.

Comment

I would rather eat my steak and eggs than take supplemental BCAAs. I think the steak and eggs taste better.
        +1 Also, I always eat my protein first when I prepare a meal. Then, if I get full, I stop eating. I may have leftover veggies, but never any leftover meat.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

• You can get tablet form, not just powder. The point of it is to get the protein stuff without the fat, of course!

Yep, loads of females have far too little protein and that's what a lot of the fat loss issues are about. I just did a talk tonight about Paleo to my yoga group you could see some light bulbs going on and some wide eyes at what the 'right' amount of protein would amount to in things to eat!
          Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Comment

• BCAA is something I may go back to for fasted workouts, or to take around workouts. The idea is (as explained by Leangains) that it's a little detrimental to workout completely fasted (remember that Leangains target audience is athletic people or those that may compete, serious athletes that REALLY worry about performance, etc) so he suggests taking some BCAA for protein synthesis before and after. I have never heard of other uses but I guess it makes sense if you don't EAT enough protein. Martin says you don't really need them if you don't work out fasted AND eat plenty of protein. I took them but not with enough consistency to notice if it was making me a super human. Like I said, since the powder is kinda cheap I may go back to it. I would suggest powder over tablets because in order to get enough you may need too many tablets and that doesn't jive with me.

Also... dry chicken boobs.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I`m doing both...can`t say I eat a 6 oz steak...daily;heck not even weekly
              "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
              www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                Some times hormones, like vitamins, MAY need to be supplemented. If thyroid hormones are low, and yes I know yours is "fine", then there's a good chance supplementing will be necessary.

I believe you said you are post menopausal. That alone indicates a lowering of sex hormones. Low estrogen can lead to the body clinging to fat, specially belly fat, as estrogen can be made from fat cells.
                PB, I know this isn't relevant for you but for anyone else:
                And you do NOT have to be post menopausal to need supplemental hormones.

I am 30. I have, without supplemental hormones, the hormone profile of your average 75 year old woman.

My SIL, who is 5 years my junior, has the hormone profile of a 90+ year old woman. She had UNDETECTABLE LEVELS of estrogen. At 25. Post her second child, neither of which were successfully breastfed despite her valiant attempts.

I have undetectable levels of testosterone, yet given my build (long ring fingers, equal length big, second and third toes) I should have higher than average levels for my age group.

BioE, prog, T and DHEA supplementation have done wonders. With HRT, I lost 11 pounds of fat-and a pound of water, I'm supposing, judging by the lack of edema I now have that was my constant ocmpanion-in just under a month, doing the same thing I did for 61/2 months prior, and lost 5 pounds. The lack of poitive feedback made consistency quite difficult-

not anymore.

Dr. Jonathan V. Wright's Tahoma Clinic . Highly recommend them, or any other LEF doc/clinic.
                Last edited by Eklecktika; 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM. Reason: I don't know how to spell, apparently!
                Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhi View Post
                  It looks like Robb Wolf covered a little bit of BCAA on Episode 52.
                  I LOVE the podcast you linked me to!! I like these guys alot;they have a great sense of humor

Comment

• LOL... I actually had the word anal in my post before revising.

Most meats weigh less when cooked but I don't think it is a huge issue. I just wanted your take on it. Believe it or not, the anal over this issue are out there.

Comment

• I don't have much to add, but I found this thread very instructive.

I too eat pretty PB clean, but was holding on to weight. I tweaked all over, but am still flabby etc. The thing is, the intuitive eat until you are full thing does not work for me because I can eat so damn much....and at some point my body is just not using the stores of fat. That being said, I could eat massive amounts and not gain much.

However, I do not want to maintain at my current weight: I want to lose about 50 lbs. I am a muscular mesomorph--I put on muscle quickly--but am still encased in the puffy girl suit (or rather the puffy 40 something suit?).

So I have started recording what I eat in fitday. Calorie counting does not mean one automatically becomes CW OCD, it just means one is conscious of what one puts in one's body. It catches me out if I am eating emotionally, and when considered in conjunction with my weight, it tells me what is going on. I don't understand the resistance to cal counting -- it is keep track just like a keto stick is.

I first just ate whatever however much and recorded and I would come in at about 2400 cals a day. No wonder I was stuck! Primal allows me to feel fuller at a lower level however and I don't have to stuff myself: if I stick to 1500-1700 I will lose consistently doing mostly weights and just some cardio and sprints. At 1800 I start to slow down. At 2400 I will gain very very slowly but mostly level off.

I still eat fat and protein, obviously, but have cut back on the butter and bacon, and have increased my vegetables a fair amount.

Fitday may not be accurate, but like my scale, it is not about knowing the exact numbers per se, but knowing relatively how the numbers correspond to each other: I lose weight at X units, not at Y units. That is all that this means to me.

Also, the BCAA stuff is interesting: I have only been taking supplements right after a workout. But perhaps I should be taking them more consistently.

Comment

• Originally posted by pattyd View Post
                        I LOVE the podcast you linked me to!! I like these guys alot;they have a great sense of humor
                        They are great fun! I have listened to all up to 55 so far. I would listen to them during the summer on my long walks with the dog. Lots of good information...AND they don't take themselves too seriously which makes for a nice change!

Carrie

Comment

• Originally posted by Lizzie125 View Post
                          I too eat pretty PB clean, but was holding on to weight. I tweaked all over, but am still flabby etc. The thing is, the intuitive eat until you are full thing does not work for me because I can eat so damn much....and at some point my body is just not using the stores of fat. That being said, I could eat massive amounts and not gain much.

However, I do not want to maintain at my current weight: I want to lose about 50 lbs. I am a muscular mesomorph--I put on muscle quickly--but am still encased in the puffy girl suit (or rather the puffy 40 something suit?).

So I have started recording what I eat in fitday. Calorie counting does not mean one automatically becomes CW OCD, it just means one is conscious of what one puts in one's body. It catches me out if I am eating emotionally, and when considered in conjunction with my weight, it tells me what is going on. I don't understand the resistance to cal counting -- it is keep track just like a keto stick is.

I first just ate whatever however much and recorded and I would come in at about 2400 cals a day. No wonder I was stuck! Primal allows me to feel fuller at a lower level however and I don't have to stuff myself: if I stick to 1500-1700 I will lose consistently doing mostly weights and just some cardio and sprints. At 1800 I start to slow down. At 2400 I will gain very very slowly but mostly level off.

I still eat fat and protein, obviously, but have cut back on the butter and bacon, and have increased my vegetables a fair amount.

Fitday may not be accurate, but like my scale, it is not about knowing the exact numbers per se, but knowing relatively how the numbers correspond to each other: I lose weight at X units, not at Y units. That is all that this means to me.

Also, the BCAA stuff is interesting: I have only been taking supplements right after a workout. But perhaps I should be taking them more consistently.
                          My story exactly except I have 30 instead of 50 to shed. I think there are some people in this forum who come from a background of eating disorders, starve/binge cycles, yo-yo dieting, etc. For them, the whole concept of calorie counting is like a bad flashback and sends off alarm signals. For some people such as me, measuring tools just make sense, like you would need a tape measure to figure out how much new carpet to buy. For some people it attaches to some very emotional issues, for me it's just about using a tool to help me get to my goal.

Comment

For some people it attaches to some very emotional issues, for me it's just about using a tool to help me get to my goal.
                            I agree. I track to get an idea of what I`m taking in and I`m sure one day I`ll be able to stop because I`ll know what foods contain what and in what amounts. Until then I`ll continue to track

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhi View Post
                              Yep, that's why I think people should have a good visual of what enough protein looks like when measured an weighed, then they can go unweighted and unmeasured.
                              OK, today I tried to eat as much protein as I could.
                              Food
                              10:30 – 2 Coconut hearts
                              1:30 – 4 mushrooms, 3 eggs, ¼ C bacon omelet thingy. ½ C cucumber, 50 g Brie
                              4 – ¼ C Tuna
                              D – 1 ½ C chili (without beans), ½ C cucumber, coconut heart

I added the 3rd egg, the bacon, the Brie, the Tuna and an extra 1/2 C of chili to what I'd normally eat.

My CRONoMeter #s:
                              Cal: 1307
                              Protein: 89 g (29%)
                              Carbs: 30 g (9%)
                              Fat: 92 g (63%)

I ate as much chili as I could, and as much protein as I could, and I was STUFFED! But I still couldn’t eat 100g!
                              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse
                              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• The bacon and the brie look like what took you overbudget on calories without giving you as much protein as you need. I'm also finding that, as much as I adore all coconut products, they are getting moved to the "occasional indulgence" rather than "dietary staple" category.

Comment

Working...
                                X