Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reality check: Counting calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • paleobird - I was never in the sweets bandwagon either. Cakes, cookies etc were never my thing. Pass the nacho's.

    I think you are on the right path. It has been said before that those that start replacing things (such as the almond flour to make onion rings) generally have issues with weight loss and or stalls.

    I agree with eating clean and see how that works for you. I am not a big fat slatherer but I do make sure to get adequate amounts. Anytime I check, I am in the 50-65% range.

    I think once you hit your goal weight that you can do all the fab things with almond flour etc. Many here do indeed do that and not gain.

    Protein was also a big one for me.

    Comment


    • The easiest way to get the extra protein amino acids which will help keep the brain happy and the drive to eat down is to take BCAA (branch chain amino acids). It's what Art De Vany suggests for all people new to Paleo who find it hard to actually eat enough protein - and that's often the women. Take three times a day 5-10 gs with meals (either as a powder which I believe isn't that palatable or as tablets). Hey presto, better protein profile without the extra fat energy. Once you have attained your lean goals BCAA can be dropped. The newbies over at Art's forum have great success with this.
      Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Yep, I definitely think the whole30 principal of not primal-izing your old bad habits is a good one. For most people this means no almond cookies, for me it means no almond crusted onion rings.
        its what I instantly wanted to suggest too - I can't "primalise" a brownie or I'll chug down the lot and thats not good even if the ingredients are all "OK". I had to stop making any "bread substitutes" almost immediately for the same reason. PLUS they are often "vehicles`' for more calories (yes, I used the "c word") - like butter or other fats. SO - not Primalising/paleofying" the shit foods you crave sounds the right way to go!! The other thing I am hoping it will do is remove the mentality that those are "treats", make the desire for them lessen. Might take some time though

        Lightbulb moments - love em!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Kelda View Post
          The easiest way to get the extra protein amino acids which will help keep the brain happy and the drive to eat down is to take BCAA (branch chain amino acids). It's what Art De Vany suggests for all people new to Paleo who find it hard to actually eat enough protein - and that's often the women. Take three times a day 5-10 gs with meals (either as a powder which I believe isn't that palatable or as tablets). Hey presto, better protein profile without the extra fat energy. Once you have attained your lean goals BCAA can be dropped. The newbies over at Art's forum have great success with this.
          This absolutely helped me get through carb cravings and just created a real sense of calm for me when it came to eating. It was like I was able to hear what my body wanted not what my mind was panicking for due to past emotional connections and sugar highs. I took a whole complex amino acid supplement though, not just the BCAA.
          In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

          Comment


          • Originally posted by hermanda View Post
            This absolutely helped me get through carb cravings and just created a real sense of calm for me when it came to eating. It was like I was able to hear what my body wanted not what my mind was panicking for due to past emotional connections and sugar highs. I took a whole complex amino acid supplement though, not just the BCAA.
            That's interesting. There are lots of people over at Art's that do BCAA - it is in his book as a recommendation as part of the process (especially for women who have less muscle mass than they should and have trouble eating enough protein) - had I known that when I first went Primal it would probably have made a big difference to the cold turkey, shakes, sweats, panic etc! Being a major control freak bipolar person (at the time) I was able to drive myself through most things (like ridiculous amounts of training, manic episodes stretching to 72 hours striaght - I read GCBC in just three sittings LOL) I just used white knuckle will power - but BCAA would have made life much easier I suspect!

            I've been much more portion conscious (and additional fats) since this thread started and the penny has really dropped with the Eades piece, in fact, I was only dropping by to pick up the link for a piece I'm compiling! And this morning I was 1 kg lower and I feel more comfortable with my intake generally. I might give the amino acid complex a go for a few weeks just out of interest as I'd like to lean right out ready for my racing season (I do cycle TTs) and I'm riding the Pyrenean Traverse in June so to have 3-4 kg less to haul over the mountains would be a bonus!
            Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

            Comment


            • You want 120 pounds of body weight, which means you want to eat 120 grams of protein a day. What would that look like? I ran these foods through calorie king. large egg = 6.3 grams of protein, 1/2 chicken breast = 26 grams of protein, 1 thick slice of bacon = 4 grams of protein, 6oz of sirloin steak = 51.5 grams of protein. Here's what your day would look like:

              2 eggs
              3 slice of bacon
              1 whole chicken breast
              6 oz steak

              it would equal 127.6 grams of protein. Eat up ladies.
              ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

              My Blog.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kelda View Post
                The easiest way to get the extra protein amino acids which will help keep the brain happy and the drive to eat down is to take BCAA (branch chain amino acids). It's what Art De Vany suggests for all people new to Paleo who find it hard to actually eat enough protein - and that's often the women. Take three times a day 5-10 gs with meals (either as a powder which I believe isn't that palatable or as tablets). Hey presto, better protein profile without the extra fat energy. Once you have attained your lean goals BCAA can be dropped. The newbies over at Art's forum have great success with this.
                Is there a link for Art`s forum handy? I am having a really hard time getting adequate protein and I`m thinking of taking the BCAA`s.
                "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
                www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

                Comment


                • He has a public site. But I think you have to pay to get his full site.
                  ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

                  My Blog.

                  Comment


                  • yeah, that's roughly what my day looks like. more eggs or other meats and less bacon, but about the same. good to know.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bodhi View Post
                      He has a public site. But I think you have to pay to get his full site.
                      Thanks Bodhi. Guess I`ll just go and buy some at my vitamin shop and take them as directed.
                      "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
                      www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

                      Comment


                      • It looks like Robb Wolf covered a little bit of BCAA on Episode 52.
                        ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

                        My Blog.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Bodhi View Post
                          You want 120 pounds of body weight, which means you want to eat 120 grams of protein a day. What would that look like? I ran these foods through calorie king. large egg = 6.3 grams of protein, 1/2 chicken breast = 26 grams of protein, 1 thick slice of bacon = 4 grams of protein, 6oz of sirloin steak = 51.5 grams of protein. Here's what your day would look like:

                          2 eggs
                          3 slice of bacon
                          1 whole chicken breast
                          6 oz steak

                          it would equal 127.6 grams of protein. Eat up ladies.
                          Wow! I don't eat nearly enough protein!
                          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse
                          "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


                          Winencandy

                          Comment


                          • Wow! I don't eat nearly enough protein!
                            Yep, that's why I think people should have a good visual of what enough protein looks like when measured an weighed, then they can go unweighted and unmeasured.
                            ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

                            My Blog.

                            Comment


                            • Bodhi : may be a dumb question but on other web forums there seems to be some discussion about whether the protein requirement should be done "raw" or "cooked". For those that weigh their meat etc. Weigh the meat before cooking or after or does it flippin matter?

                              Comment


                              • I guess that would depend on the cut of meat and type of meat. A fatty cut of meat when cooked may weigh a lot less than in its raw state. I would have to say it is up to the person and how nit-picky they want to be. Anal types would want to cook the meat and then trim off all the fat before measuring.
                                Last edited by Bodhi; 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM. Reason: clarification.
                                ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

                                My Blog.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X