Reality check: Counting calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh...
    I've never used that button before. I use the "See today's full report" button at the bottom of the page next to the "today's nutrition note" I just get my macros and no bullshit feedback.
    Calm the f**k down.

Comment

• Oh..
      I might just do it your way and avoid the need to change my goals
      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

• The more you know...(cue rainbow)
        Calm the f**k down.

Comment

• Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
          If you click on the spot that says 'change your goals' at the top of the tracker you can change your carb goals. I have mine set at 50 to 130, and it tells me that I have the [perfect balance of carbs now I also adjusted my fat and cholesterol goals to be higher.
          Thank you for that! I just changed it so should be good for tomorrow's meals.

Carrie

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            No offense intended toward you. Really Denise. I was talking about the whole, "Don't count/measure anything, eat when hungry, stop when not" mindset. I'm saying that I need to be more vigilant than that. I would love to be able to just relax and not think about stuff like that. But it's not working FOR ME. I didn't say that anyone else was being slap happy, just the I need to be more vigilant and disciplined which means that I'M the one who has been lax here. I'm actually getting on my own case, not on yours.
            none taken pet, none taken. I was just snitty cos my back ached and I didn't want to go to the gym I guess.

We each "walk our own path" even when we are trying to get to the same destination.

Comment

• I've been thinking about this some more and have had a lightbulb moment. I think the reason that the, "just eat and don't sweat the measuring" thing doesn't work for me is that, unlike most people around this forum, I never was into sweets/carbs. I could always walk away from a chocolate sundae but put onion rings in front of me and my willpower is history.
              When a carb/sugar junkie gets clean they naturally reduce their overall calorie intake because most of their favorites are off the menu. My favorites have always been the greasy salty crunchy things in life. So me being on a primal diet is like the proverbial kid in a candy store with an unlimited credit card and no parental supervision. I can bread my onion rings with almond flour and fry them in coconut oil and they're Primal approved. They've got a gazillion calories but they're Primal so I can eat the whole plate full right? And I can dunk them in my home made bacon dripping mayo, also 100% primal approved. This is the kind of self-delusion I want to get away from.

Comment

• Makes perfect sense to me, Paleobird.
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  I've been thinking about this some more and have had a lightbulb moment. I think the reason that the, "just eat and don't sweat the measuring" thing doesn't work for me is that, unlike most people around this forum, I never was into sweets/carbs. I could always walk away from a chocolate sundae but put onion rings in front of me and my willpower is history.
                  When a carb/sugar junkie gets clean they naturally reduce their overall calorie intake because most of their favorites are off the menu. My favorites have always been the greasy salty crunchy things in life. So me being on a primal diet is like the proverbial kid in a candy store with an unlimited credit card and no parental supervision. I can bread my onion rings with almond flour and fry them in coconut oil and they're Primal approved. They've got a gazillion calories but they're Primal so I can eat the whole plate full right? And I can dunk them in my home made bacon dripping mayo, also 100% primal approved. This is the kind of self-delusion I want to get away from.
                  That's kinda me too, I never was into sweets, but luckily I also don't really get too crazy with the primal treats. I certainly agree with you that they can be taken to extremes. I'm glad I tend towards being a little more bland with food I guess. If it doesn't kill you, try less ingredients, keep it more meat/veg etc... idk, it's just a thought.
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• So what might work for you to be able to do intuitive eating would be to only eat purely paleo things, not 'replacements for' type things like the onion rings you described (which sound amazing thank you very much). Maybe limit the things like that to once or twice a week and the rest of the time eat foods that are in their natural state.
                    Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

So what might work for you to be able to do intuitive eating would be to only eat purely paleo things, not 'replacements for' type things like the onion rings you described (which sound amazing thank you very much). Maybe limit the things like that to once or twice a week and the rest of the time eat foods that are in their natural state.
                      Yeah that's how I did my whole30 basically, though I never really got into replacing things.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• My thanks go out to Bodhi for the concise formula he posted for protein targets, overall calorie targets and ratios of protein/fat/carbs. I am finding that I really need to make an effort to eat enough protein on any given day. In order to not max out on calories before I get enough protein, I have to cut back on the fats (my carbs were already minimal). This doesn't mean a diet of dry chicken boobs. But I do need to pick the leaner cuts of meat and the leaner animals (Peril from down under suggested some 'roo). I also need to be frugal with the gratuitous added fats such as a big gob of coconut oil to saute when a small one would work or things like mayo.
                        I am not going all Pritikin fat phobic but mayo by the spoonful is not a good idea either. Finding the balance is key.

Comment

So what might work for you to be able to do intuitive eating would be to only eat purely paleo things, not 'replacements for' type things like the onion rings you described (which sound amazing thank you very much). Maybe limit the things like that to once or twice a week and the rest of the time eat foods that are in their natural state.
                          Yep, I definitely think the whole30 principal of not primal-izing your old bad habits is a good one. For most people this means no almond cookies, for me it means no almond crusted onion rings.

Comment

• Again with the onion rings! You're killing me!!!! It is a good thing I don't have an onion right now. I am totally like you more on the savory salty food bandwagon- as I eat my hard boiled egg with hot sauce
                            Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

Again with the onion rings! You're killing me!!!! It is a good thing I don't have an onion right now. I am totally like you more on the savory salty food bandwagon- as I eat my hard boiled egg with hot sauce
                              I eat mine with too much bacon dripping mayo. I think switching to Tabasco would be a good idea.

Comment

• I probably would too, except i am too lazy to make mayo so hot sauce is my friend. My favorites are the srirachi and Death Sauce. I am not a huge fan of Tabasco, too much vinegar.
                                Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

Working...
                                X