Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Healthy skin care, perfumes and other products for men?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by terrax View Post
    can u provide a source for this info or is it all on cosmeticsdatabase.com?
    Cosmetics database is good for your commercial brands that you find in the store. A watchdog of sorts. I'm not sure what they would have in there for essentials. I just enjoy plugging in the newest "all natural" whatevers in there and giggling.

As for the essentials, go to the library and check out a book on essential oils, natural healing with herbals or any number of sources. There are many many good websites out there that go into great detail about the good and bad when it comes to essentials.

Otherwise, my source comes from 7 years of research and soapmaking. Not to mention the thousands of years in research that midwives/herbalists and other such people have done. I've also taken various courses over the years to educate myself because I DO use "active" essential oils, not necessarily for thereputic use, but because I do not wish to do anyone harm.

Our modern medicine has its roots in herbals, and somehow people have this disconnect that essential oils are inert, yet will use caution with a bottle of asprin, Willow bark = asprin.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Yes it is a complicated issue, and I apologize for simplifying it based on my own personal research and experience. I'm very familiar with Cosmetic Safety Database, thanks.

Let me rephrase: MOST artificial fragrances in department store perfumes/colognes contain chemicals that MAY be toxic, whether they contain a drop or two of true EO's or not.

If one would like to use pure essential oils in place of artificial fragrance, you are correct, I should have said that they should learn about them first, and use them with skill and care. Citrus can be irritating, I know, but for example, I've personally used a couple of drops of Sweet Organge EO in homemade skin butter with absolutely no issue at all. But we are talking a couple of drops in a jar of Shea Butter.

Everyone has different sensitivity thresholds. What may irritate me to the point of illness - which lasts for days, may not bother others at all.

I hope that clarifies my previous post.

I've chosen to avoid skin care product lines and fragrances sold in department stores. I will never trust those products, regardless of how safe some folks think they are. They are ridiculously overpriced and MOST of them are full of synthetic chemicals - and some lines test those synthetic chemicals on animals, too. The entire industry is selling the youth and beauty fairy tale to women, but true beauty comes from within, and youth is merely a phase in one's life.

Comment

i don't use fragrances really.

i will put EO in a bottle with some water and use it like an air freshener, but that's about it (i use geranium and sweet orange). and sometimes i use an aromatherapy diffuser.

i just use coconut oil, shear butter, cocoa butter and almond oil with calendula (for healing skin if it's had too much sun), and avocado oil too.

Comment

I use coconut oil as lotion. I no longer use a deodorant since they were expensive and the anti-perspirant aspect of conventional deodorants have aluminum that I read could be absorbed into your system. Instead of deodorant I use baking soda which actually yielded much better results. My box of baking soda costs $2 and has lasted me over a year so far. I play basketball, sprint, jog and it has worked better than my conventional deodorant in preventing odor and sweat. And like I said financially it has saved me a little money as well.

The only thing I use that has chemicals is my SPF face lotion. I use that on really sunny days when I know I am going to be in the sun for a long time. Like when I play golf and my hat doesn't shade all of my face. My face lotion is made by Alba and I get it from Whole Foods and it is advertised as having very little chemicals and no parabens.
          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzan View Post
            The entire industry is selling the youth and beauty fairy tale to women, but true beauty comes from within, and youth is merely a phase in one's life.
            Love this!!
            "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
            www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by elorajade View Post
                Favorites are:

Sandalwood (but expensive right now, however it may be cheaper from where you are)
                Tonka Bean
                Patchouli
                Oakmoss
                Bay
                Cypress
                Ginger
                Black Pepper
                Vanilla
                Vetiver

You can add it to your deodorant too.

AS a woman (and a soapmaking business owner) I can tell you that women like earthy scents on men (80% of my sales to women, buying for their men were earthy scents), we like natural, we like you smelling like you were just outdoors chopping wood, working up a light sweat, muscles are twinging....

My top selling scent contains:
                Italian Bergamot, Apple Wood and Tonka Bean to round out the darker, more sensuous Patchouli, Cedarwood, and Oakmoss. Cardamom, Vanilla Bourbon and allspice give it a spicy undertone.
                Wow!
                So all of the sorts above are for creating that male scent? Now that's a good list...it'll be hard to find out where to start, though, hehe

Suzan & elorajade: I'm using this body lotion at the moment, Juice Beauty Green Apple Extra Firming Moisturizer, and while it's not an EO, it does seem to help the skin by smoothing it.
                http://www.essentialdayspa.com/juice...le-p_10715.htm

I know that the more ingredients, the more suspect, but does it comply here?

Also, I've been interested in using skincare products from these:
                http://www.beingcontent.com/men/mois...e--for-men.htm

Don't know if someone has tried any of these products before..

Comment

Go to a health food store, hippy store, and get some tiny bottles of the stuff, then open a few at a time and hold the bottles to your nose. You can also just enter say "patchouli blend for men" in a search engine to get an idea.

Patchouli is a bottom note, it lasts and lasts and lasts and tends to be used across the board as a base for most higher end perfumes/colognes. Read the profiles for the EOs and see what resonnates with you, I'm sure you already have an idea of what goes well on you. AND you can google your favorite cologne to get their scent profile to give you a starting point.

I always get a giggle when people poo poo my straight up patch soap, telling me they HATE patch, only to pick up my "Cleopatra" and declare their undying love for it. Its a patch, lemongrass, ginger and lavender blend.

I took a look at the link for Juice body, and they have some really nice ingredients in there. Wow, that really is a nice looking formula. They don't have a good preservative in there, but they don't have any water either, and they're using some really high end, natural stuff. They also have a lot of redundant oils in there, both of them do.

Whats wrong with a good bar of soap? There is a soapmaker in the UK, called Future Primative and she makes some really fantastic soap. Honestly, thats all you really need. And because she does mostly use EOs in her formulations (and she is also all organic too!) so you'll also solve the wanna "smell good" problem.

Frankly, most of the time all you need is a good bar of soap. I used to have perpetually dry skin (and ezcema), but it was from the soap I was using. I had ended up formulating a fantastic body butter, but then my mentor told me I was being an idiot because I was effectively chasing my tail. Damaging my skin in the shower, and then slathering on the cream to heal it, what a cycle! Now I make the soap, and rarely use body butter or lotion, and thats usually only when I've used a commercial soap.
                  Last edited by elorajade; 02-20-2011, 04:54 PM.
                  SW: 235
                  CW:220
                  Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                  Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                  Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                  Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

[QUOTE=Balance;346410]I use coconut oil as lotion. I no longer use a deodorant since they were expensive and the anti-perspirant aspect of conventional deodorants have aluminum that I read could be absorbed into your system. Instead of deodorant I use baking soda which actually yielded much better results. My box of baking soda costs $2 and has lasted me over a year so far. I play basketball, sprint, jog and it has worked better than my conventional deodorant in preventing odor and sweat. And like I said financially it has saved me a little money as well.

A little fyi...mix the baking soda in some coconut oil. I found that it helps the baking soda to disperse better, hold longer and not leave that powdery residue on my skin or clothing. Just wait a couple of minutes before dressing, give the skin time to absorb the oil.
                    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

The guy I knew used a patchouli/sandalwood/Oakmoss/Vetiver blend. Their whole house smelled like EOs. I still don'tk now which ones were so good smelling...

Robin's Roost
                      My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by inquisitiveone View Post
                        I'm not a man, but since I'm part of the demographic you're hoping to attract (single female), my thoughts might be worthwhile to you. I strongly prefer a man's clean, natural scent to any sort of perfume or deodorant. If you wish to use some kind of scent, keep it as light and natural as possible—and use one that enhances your natural scent, rather than covers it up.

My moisturizer of choice is coconut oil too—I get the plain, unrefined kind in the oils section of the grocery store and it works just fine. I don't think we really need all the additives that body lotions often have in there. It would be such a pleasant surprise to encounter a gent who smells lightly of coconut!
                        Another single female here in total agreement.

Comment

[QUOTE=Karate Lisa;346677]
                          Originally posted by Balance View Post
                          I use coconut oil as lotion. I no longer use a deodorant since they were expensive and the anti-perspirant aspect of conventional deodorants have aluminum that I read could be absorbed into your system. Instead of deodorant I use baking soda which actually yielded much better results. My box of baking soda costs $2 and has lasted me over a year so far. I play basketball, sprint, jog and it has worked better than my conventional deodorant in preventing odor and sweat. And like I said financially it has saved me a little money as well.

A little fyi...mix the baking soda in some coconut oil. I found that it helps the baking soda to disperse better, hold longer and not leave that powdery residue on my skin or clothing. Just wait a couple of minutes before dressing, give the skin time to absorb the oil.
                          Ooh I think I will try it. I know when it is really dry baking soda tends to irritate the skin. Coconut oil looks like it just may do the trick. So many uses for coconut oil
                          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

iherb.com sells essential oils, and they ship to Norway (for only $4):

http://www.iherb.com/Aromatherapy-Essential-Oils

They also have various organic moisturizers, etc., but I haven't tried any of them, so I have no idea if they are any good.
                            Norak's Primal Journal:
                            2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                            2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                            2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Originally posted by norak View Post
                              iherb.com sells essential oils, and they ship to Norway (for only $4):

http://www.iherb.com/Aromatherapy-Essential-Oils

They also have various organic moisturizers, etc., but I haven't tried any of them, so I have no idea if they are any good.
                              Thanks for the tip, norak!
                              I found some oils on the iherb-site which I couldn't find here in Oslo, Norway. Hats off.

Comment

Mountain Rose Herbs and Frontier (Aura Cacia) are much better quality EO's than NOW brand. JMO

Comment

Working...
                                X