Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is it possible to lose inches without weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is it possible to lose inches without weight?

I'm fairly smart and I still can't figure this out.

I've lost, literally, like 5 pounds in three weeks. I'm okay with that. I feel it is acceptable. Before going primal (3 weeks or so ago) I had lost 55 pounds just exercising and stuff. It was mostly baby weight.

What continues to elude me though...is that I only lost five pounds...yet i dropped two pants sizes. And seemingly, will continue to drop pant sizes.

So how does that happen? I mean, I don't work out all that much. I run 2-4 times a week, and lift 1-2 times a week. I thought muscle gain was slow. Could I be gaining muscle at the same rate that I lose fat? Like, the EXACT SAME RATE?

That seems weird. One would think that if I was dropping sizes I would also be dropping weight?
    Our primal family journal.

I think part of it may be that clothing size changes are not linear. For me for example, I've lost about 50 lbs so far (on a combination of low carb dieting + primal for the past month or so). It seemed to take forever for me to go down to a size 14 from a size 16 and a size 12 from a size 14. But now I seem to be losing a clothing size or two ever 8 lbs. I went from a size 12 to a size 8 in only the last ten lbs or so. If you think about it, this makes sense in terms of a toilet paper roll: when you have a huge new roll, a few sheets don't really make much difference to the size of the roll. But when you're down to the end of the roll, taking a few sheets can dramatically decrease the size of the roll. So maybe you're at that last of the toilet paper stage? That plus because of your exercise, that 5 lbs loss might correspond to a significantly great fat loss of course.

Comment

one of the big reasons you're losing size is that you are tightening things up, losing fat (which doesn't weigh much), and building muscle...plus dropping whatever water you may have been retaining can seriously affect your size.
      i say relish in your shrinking. weight isn't nearly an important as body composition.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Ketogenic diets like this tend to target specifically belly fat. That may have to do with the pants getting baggy.

also check out this post by the inimitable Batty : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...llow-grokettes...
        Last edited by Paleobird; 02-08-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Ketogenic diets like this tend to target specifically belly fat. That may have to do with the pants getting baggy.

also check out this post by the inimitable Batty : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...llow-grokettes...
          I have never heard anything credible about "targeting belly fat" or any type of fat targeting, sorry. Can you point me to where you learned about this? I'm curious. My understanding is that our fat cells have different amounts of receptors depending on where they are located, so "stubborn fat" are the cells that are the first to take in fat and the last to lose it, by your bodys design. On me, that's in my gut area and I had a little beer belly even when I was a skinny guy.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
            I have never heard anything credible about "targeting belly fat" or any type of fat targeting, sorry. Can you point me to where you learned about this? I'm curious. My understanding is that our fat cells have different amounts of receptors depending on where they are located, so "stubborn fat" are the cells that are the first to take in fat and the last to lose it, by your bodys design. On me, that's in my gut area and I had a little beer belly even when I was a skinny guy.
            Diet Evolution by Dr. Stephen Gundry. In the first phase, it is very similar to PB and I lost 30 lbs like falling off a log. Then, the latter phases transition you away from protein until your life becomes one big salad with maybe a handful of nuts on top. That's when it stopped working for me.
            Dr. Gundry is a cardiac surgeon and the book is very well researched. He talked about ketosis specifically targeting belly fat first because that is the body's short term storage spot. The padding on the rear is long term storage and is more stubborn.

Comment

fwiw i started primal with a biggish belly, legs and thighs - im a bloke by the way
              circa 240 lbs in Oct and now closer to say 212
              im down 4 belt sizes (ie waist) but in my new clothes my legs are still tight
              ie im losing more at waist than butt/thighs
              observational evidence in favour of paleobrids hypothesis

Comment

Some of it could also be losing excess glycogen stores.

I'd go with the "losing fat and putting on muscle" theory for most of the effect. Muscle is much denser than fat: a pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat. Bonus: muscle tends not to stick out annoyingly.

Comment

even CW states that diets higher in refined carbohydrates and sugars tend to store belly fat and vs. versa.
                  MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Originally posted by runnergal View Post
                    even CW states that diets higher in refined carbohydrates and sugars tend to store belly fat and vs. versa.
                    Yep, they don't call it a beer belly for nothing.

Comment

Well someone needs to tell my belly fat about this science. I would maybe have to read that book to it aloud at night.
                      "the belly is where the body stores short-term fat" doesn't make sense to me - what's the difference between short and long term fat? All I know is there is triglycerides which circulate in the blood, insulin directs it into fat cells, fat cells with more receptors take in trigs more quickly and more often. On my own body, the first thing to get fat was my belly and the last thing to get skinny(er) was my belly - and in males, that's where there are more receptors. Maybe you are talking about subcutaneous (under the skin) fat versus visceral (hanging around the organs) fat?

They call it a beer belly because it's the first thing to get fat in guys. That doesn't make it short term! Thank you for the reference, I'll have to check that out.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

You have to be in ketosis for it to work. That means <50 gr carbs /day. You could try some Ketostix if you are not sure.

By "short term storage" I meant that it is fat your body doesn't expect to be around long. This is because carbs and sugar are so calorie dense that, to a primitive human, this was a real score like finding a honey comb or a tree of really ripe fruit. Not something that happened often. After the fall ripening comes winter and the belly goes away. The problem about the modern diet is that it acts like it is constantly summer/fall never winter.

So, yes this is the first place that to get fat on it. And it can be stubborn without ketosis. Ketosis is the body's winter program.

Comment

i will totally agree that the belly fat was the first and most noticeable drop. quickly followed by my knees and lower legs. My butt isn't big and according to my husband's standards doesn't need to lose any weight. I was most definitely apple shaped. (but not my whole life, just after having kids.)

thanks for the responses. I just didn't think I could be gaining muscle that quickly...i've been exercising for MONTHS with only a minimal amount of muscle gain.

The toilet paper roll idea is very intriguing. It was super easy for me to lose the first 50 pounds with exercise and whole foods (incl. grains). And now I'm losing only a bit of weight each week but the results are so much more visible.

I've totally checked out batty's thread. Not thoroughly though...i'm a busy lady. But it was that thread that got me thinking. Especially with her before and after photos.

and fwiw...i've totally heard that belly fat is more determined by stress levels and cortisol than actual energy consumption. the assertion being that in times of stress your body holds on to just a little more padding. once that stressor (emotional or physical) is gone...the belly fat goes too. in this case, the stress was probably wheat, and my body thinking that i must be eating that stuff because there was nothing else to eat. so save it up.

I am definitely NOT in ketosis. I want to be. But my kids are fruit bats, and I end up stealing bites of their fruit, and coconut/fruit smoothies all day long. lol!!! at least they're primal though, and i don't have to worry about stealing bites of their toast, or cheerios. (my kids have never eaten that stuff anyway...even before we were primal people would look at us cross-eyed when i told them my kid had never had a gerber "fruit puff."
                          Our primal family journal.

Comment

I am not a scientist nor do I play one on TV but this: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...eat-belly.html approximated my overall shape to an unfortunate degree. A shape that began to change almost instantly after dropping grains. I have changed shape and lost inches out of all proportion to my actual weight loss. I would estimate 6 more months and I'll post in "before and after."
                            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

I've only lost 6 lbs according to the blasted scale but my jeans have gone from size 12s being tight to size 10s loose and comfy. I'm aiming for 8s. I've also noticed a drop in the stuff that ripples above and below the bra strap around my back but I think that is due to the PBF pushups and pullups. Maybe 10lbs of fat lost+4lbs of muscle gained=6lbs of "scale weight".

Comment

Working...
                              X