Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get sleep

Hey ya'll!

I am trying to establish a sleeping routine.
    I wanna go to bed at 9:30 and get up at 6:30.
    I went to bed at 9:30 and now at 11:08 I am still awake.
    It is often like this, even when I adapt to Mark's tips about sleeping.

Any advice? Staying up late the night before? I don't know what to do anymore.
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

How long have you been trying? Are you even tired when you go to bed at 9:30? That's one thing about eating primal is the abundance of energy. I have that problem too.
    I blog here: http://www.primalkat.blogspot.com/

Comment

why 9 hours of sleep? that seems like a lot, especially if your body is fighting it. but anyway, maybe it's not very conventional, but i take a benadryl or nyquil when i reeeally need to get to sleep (like during a long flight, or if i'm sick and feeling junk). take it at 8:30 and for most people, you're drowsy by 9. it could work for you in the short-term (a few nights, let's say), just enough to get your body used to getting in 9 solid hours, then maybe it'll be easier to sleep on your own schedule.

also, getting in a lot of exercise, being busy and active throughout the day, and just being as un-sedentary as possible works for me. if you're not allowing yourself to "sit down and relax" until like 7 or 8 at night (as in, no napping, lounging in front of the TV or surfing the web endlessly during the day), it's almost like your body goes "FINALLY! now it's time to recover - go to sleep, dammit, so i can repair myself". i'm in bed and asleep by 10:30, and i'm up at 6, so apparently it's worked for me.

good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Primal K@ View Post
        How long have you been trying? Are you even tired when you go to bed at 9:30? That's one thing about eating primal is the abundance of energy. I have that problem too.
        Well I will turn 18 in a few weeks, so I think I should get at least 8-9 hours of sleep, especially since I party on the weekends and get less sleep and drink.
        Grok from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Loco Moco View Post
          why 9 hours of sleep? that seems like a lot, especially if your body is fighting it. but anyway, maybe it's not very conventional, but i take a benadryl or nyquil when i reeeally need to get to sleep (like during a long flight, or if i'm sick and feeling junk). take it at 8:30 and for most people, you're drowsy by 9. it could work for you in the short-term (a few nights, let's say), just enough to get your body used to getting in 9 solid hours, then maybe it'll be easier to sleep on your own schedule.

also, getting in a lot of exercise, being busy and active throughout the day, and just being as un-sedentary as possible works for me. if you're not allowing yourself to "sit down and relax" until like 7 or 8 at night (as in, no napping, lounging in front of the TV or surfing the web endlessly during the day), it's almost like your body goes "FINALLY! now it's time to recover - go to sleep, dammit, so i can repair myself". i'm in bed and asleep by 10:30, and i'm up at 6, so apparently it's worked for me.

good luck, and let us know how it goes!
          Hmm yeah maybe I don't work out enough. I will try, but I don't take medicine if possible. Thanks though.
          Grok from Germany

Comment

This is probably a dumb question, but I don't suppose you can sleep in or grab an afternoon nap? Young people's bodies seem to want to run on a later schedule. (I've always thought school was a little cruel because of this.) Once you're sunk into middle age like me, a 9:30 bedtime will be a breeze Otherwise I would follow Loco Moco's advice, and consider taking a book to bed around 8:30 (maybe even a boring one).

Comment

Originally posted by gfprof View Post
              This is probably a dumb question, but I don't suppose you can sleep in or grab an afternoon nap? Young people's bodies seem to want to run on a later schedule. (I've always thought school was a little cruel because of this.) Once you're sunk into middle age like me, a 9:30 bedtime will be a breeze Otherwise I would follow Loco Moco's advice, and consider taking a book to bed around 8:30 (maybe even a boring one).
              I can't sleep in, except on thursdays and fridays, which I don't, because I need to stick to my sleepin schedule, so I can fall asleep and wake up the same times. And on the weekends I can sleep in as well, but most times on the weekends I go to bed late.

When I grab a nap, I can't fall asleep at night.
              Grok from Germany

Comment

The best advice I ever read and works for me is trying to get up at the same time 7 days a week, or within about an hour of the same time. We get up between 5-5:30 on the weekdays, and usually by 6:30 on the weekends. Your body will be able to set itself with a consistent wake up schedule, and will TELL YOU when it is time to go to bed. It takes some practice to get up consistently even on the weekends, but it gets easier over time. If you have one odd day every couple weeks where you sleep in, that won't totally mess you up....but if you do it too often your body will have trouble setting a schedule.

To make the above work, you need to go to bed ONLY when you are tired....as in yawning feel like you could fall asleep when you hit the pillow. For me, sometimes this is 8:30, sometimes it is 10:30. If you partied one night on the weekend, likely the next night you will be tired sooner. Try and follow the signals as many nights a week as you can.

I spent years sleeping in on the weekends, then having trouble going to bed sunday night, and dragging arse out of bed on monday morning. Maybe by the end of the week I was doing better, but then I would sleep in sat/sun, go to bed late sat/sun, repeat. I think we look at it backwards, if I go to bed early I will get more sleep......where as the body is looking at what time you actually got up and have you been awake long enough.

Try and associate your bed with sleeping as much as possible too. Don't lay in bed awake for hours........ get up and read or something until you feel like you can fall asleep, then go back to bed. Removing TV from our bedroom was the best thing we ever did. You might be fine to read in bed, but if you still struggle, read in a chair or another room.

Think paleo...likely our ancestors got up with the sun every day....a weekend, what was that? When it was dark, when they were tired, they went to bed. Just like finding your true hunger, finding your true 'time to sleep' cues.
                Erin
                Daily Vlogs
                Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                  The best advice I ever read and works for me is trying to get up at the same time 7 days a week, or within about an hour of the same time. We get up between 5-5:30 on the weekdays, and usually by 6:30 on the weekends. Your body will be able to set itself with a consistent wake up schedule, and will TELL YOU when it is time to go to bed. It takes some practice to get up consistently even on the weekends, but it gets easier over time. If you have one odd day every couple weeks where you sleep in, that won't totally mess you up....but if you do it too often your body will have trouble setting a schedule.

To make the above work, you need to go to bed ONLY when you are tired....as in yawning feel like you could fall asleep when you hit the pillow. For me, sometimes this is 8:30, sometimes it is 10:30. If you partied one night on the weekend, likely the next night you will be tired sooner. Try and follow the signals as many nights a week as you can.

I spent years sleeping in on the weekends, then having trouble going to bed sunday night, and dragging arse out of bed on monday morning. Maybe by the end of the week I was doing better, but then I would sleep in sat/sun, go to bed late sat/sun, repeat. I think we look at it backwards, if I go to bed early I will get more sleep......where as the body is looking at what time you actually got up and have you been awake long enough.

Try and associate your bed with sleeping as much as possible too. Don't lay in bed awake for hours........ get up and read or something until you feel like you can fall asleep, then go back to bed. Removing TV from our bedroom was the best thing we ever did. You might be fine to read in bed, but if you still struggle, read in a chair or another room.

Think paleo...likely our ancestors got up with the sun every day....a weekend, what was that? When it was dark, when they were tired, they went to bed. Just like finding your true hunger, finding your true 'time to sleep' cues.
                  Thank ya for taking the time, pretty good advices, even though I can't have a room just for sleeping, since I live with my parents.
                  But I will try not to lay in my bed as often (with my laptop/book).
                  Also I will try the things on the weekends. So you say when I partied and got home at lets say 6 in the morning, I should sleep til I wake up and go to bed whenever I feel like it, even if it would be 5 hours later?

I love Primal, since it is a Lifestyle and also about sleeping patterns and such. I feel comfortable sleeping on sheepskin rug(s) and with a sleeping bag as well -- on the floor on the sheepskin(s).
                  Grok from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by traintolive View Post
                    So you say when I partied and got home at lets say 6 in the morning, I should sleep til I wake up and go to bed whenever I feel like it, even if it would be 5 hours later?
                    I don't know what time you have to get up on non party days.....my initial thought is get a few hours sleep after a party night, and maybe do a power nap if you start to feel run down that day. For a power nap, set an alarm for 25 minutes, and don't sleep beyond that. Anything longer and you risk resetting your sleep clock and then struggling to go to sleep at night.

Likely you will get tired pretty early after a short sleep, and so may end up getting 10 or 11 hours sleep to make up for the shortfall the day before.

Or, you might research biphasic sleep and see if that interests you or fits your schedule.
                    Last edited by Meadow; 02-08-2011, 06:23 AM.
                    Erin
                    Daily Vlogs
                    Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Agreed - setting a waking up time and sticking to it always is the key. Use an alarm to start with if necessary even when you don't need to get up and get out. I always wake between 5:30 and 6:00 regardless of when I go to sleep. When I don't have to be somewhere I will stay in bed and read if I fancy, you don't have to actually get up but you do need to stay awake!

Then you go to bed when you feel sleepy, don't worry if that's not till midnight to start with just stick with it for a few days getting up/waking up at the set time and you'll find your bed time sleepiness will become earlier until it is set where you are getting the sleep your body needs. But going to bed should mean just that, go to bed for sleep, don't read in bed or use a computer at bed time because it keeps the brain alert. Do the reading or computer work sitting in a chair or at a desk or whatever then move to wherever you sleep for sleep only.

Partying, still the same, apply the same rule, wake and stay awake at the set time. A powernap is a good way to deal with a late night but still keeping the waking time the same. I can sleep up to 40 minutes without it messing up my schedule but not later in the day. I would always aim to be awake again by 3:30 latest or that does cause me problems.

Do be aware though that alcohol consumption can seriously mess with metabolism and sleep schedules, enjoy partying by alternating between water and the alcoholic drink can really help.

Sleeping on the floor is excellent if you can, very good for your back and great if it's something you can do at your age, hopefully it will last you a lifetime :-)
                      Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                        I don't know what time you have to get up on non party days.....my initial thought is get a few hours sleep after a party night, and maybe do a power nap if you start to feel run down that day. For a power nap, set an alarm for 25 minutes, and don't sleep beyond that. Anything longer and you risk resetting your sleep clock and then struggling to go to sleep at night.

Likely you will get tired pretty early after a short sleep, and so may end up getting 10 or 11 hours sleep to make up for the shortfall the day before.

Or, you might research biphasic sleep and see if that interests you or fits your schedule.
                        Thank you. I am researching biphasic sleep right now. The problem with power naps is, that I need a long time to fall asleep already and then the 25 minutes will probably be over??
                        Grok from Germany

Comment

If you need a long time to fall asleep, then you are not ready to fall asleep. Power naps are for when you...just...need ...to ...nap.

Bottom line is if you are staying up all night on weekends and then getting up early during the week it is going to be very tough. I know people who do that for work (work nights then switch back to days to be with family) and they never feel rested.

I suppose the notion of partying less is not an option?
                          MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Originally posted by runnergal View Post
                            I suppose the notion of partying less is not an option?
                            Nope. I am already reducing alcohol, but I still need to party. I am 18. I need to expierence all that stuff. Health is important too, but parties as well.
                            Grok from Germany

Comment

Biphasic is really hard. My husband works a shift pattern where he transitions from having done 4 12 hour days to 2 14 hour nights. He ends up sleeping in the afternoon before the nightshift (when he's not particularly tired and is lucky to get 2 hours - having already had may be 6 -7 hours in that 24 hour period) then has to work all night. He then manages to sleep most of the day to work again all night but then you have the difficulty of being back on daytime schedule so you have another day where you sleep shorter twice! And it really messes with appetite and metabolism. If you live a regular live as in college/education in the day time and other than parties sleep at night I wouldn't try messing around by breaking it up.
                              Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Comment

Working...
                              X