Blackout curtains, brands, experiences, recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackout curtains, brands, experiences, recommendations

I've been looking around at curtains, and am leery of buying something that claims to black out light, but really doesn't. My bedroom faces east with big, nice windows, and while it's really fine now -- it won't do once the days get longer.

Would love to hear from people who have found products (hopefully available in the US!) that really work well. Thanks in advance!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

I bought blackout blinds and they were a big waste of money, IMO. A well-fitting eye-mask is more effective and portable, too!
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I simply bought some big, heavy, thick curtains...I don't understand why you would go for a product that claims to block light...? Just buy big, heavy, thick curtains.
      carl's cave

Comment

I bought the thickest roller shades that Home Depot carries (cheap!) and I have nice lined curtains that I can close over them. I use and eye mask, but I always manage to take it off while I sleep, lol.
        http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

I got some Hunter Douglas honeycomb blackout blinds with a heavy black valance and curtians - they work well. I work nights and it is pitch black in my room when I sleep.
          "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Comment

Yeah, no. I can't sleep in an eye mask. I've spent truly excessive amounts of time on airplanes. I've tried many versions and they all give me a headache, especially when I'm lying down (head on a pillow) instead of sitting up on a plane.

And sure, it doesn't have to be labeled "blackout". There are a lot of curtains labeled that way with consumer reviews saying they don't work that well. Big thick heavy curtains sound a bit depressing. So, I was hoping for some responses specifying what has worked for other folks, in the curtains line specifically.

Thanks, Rud3d0g!
            "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rud3d0g
              The curtains I have are home made - If you know anyone that knows how to use a sewing machine just go to the fabric store and find a cloth that is heavy enough to block out light when you hold it up.
              Hah! Brilliant. I was starting to think about shower curtain liners (not pretty!) but this idea is genius. I used to make curtains out of sheets all the time, so I can't believe this didn't occur to me! Thanks again - I think this is going to be a life saver (well, a budget saver and sleep saver, anyway!).

You've just piled up a heap of good karma for yourself. Thanks so much!

Comment

What carl said - big heavy lined curtains...the ones that are designed to insulate, do a better job. The only problem is around the edges.

Or, if you do not like the feel of elastic around your head, I usually just place a soft shirt over my eyes. But I sleep on my back and dont toss much. I find tech fabrics are the most comfortable.
                MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Originally posted by runnergal View Post
                  What carl said - big heavy lined curtains...the ones that are designed to insulate, do a better job. The only problem is around the edges.
                  I tack the edge down to the wall with push pins. And I made a flap for over the curtain rod, also held on with push pins. Doubled black corduroy worked okay for me.

Comment

If you're looking at making blackout curtains or having them made, find a fabric store that sells drapery and upholstery fabrics. A decent one will have "dim out" and "black out" fabrics that can be used as liners. In an impoverished and depressed stage in my life and a new landlord put an exterior light less than 5 ft from my bedroom window, I bought yards and yards of black out fabric, cut lengths that were about 6" longer than the window was tall, duct taped the strips to form a rectangle wide enough to cover the picture window, then duct taped that to the window frame. Definitely had a red-neck look, but I slept well in the pitch black room!
                    Last edited by svelting; 02-06-2011, 05:56 PM. Reason: grammar is gud
                    My journal

Comment

I wear a knit cap, pulled down over my eyes, and it works famously. (Plus, having a warm skull helps me sleep.)
                      Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Here is my review of Eclipse brand curtains I got from Target (actually bought the children's version as they were less expensive). They were about 15 dollars for each large panel (84 in tall).

They work pretty good for my set up. I already have blinds in the window, so some light is blocked by the blinds, but we have a street light near our backyard so a lot of light came in at night through the cracks. Using the Eclipse curtains and the blinds the room is VERY dark at night. So much so that when I cover my clock and the smoke detector light I cannot see my hand in front of my face. Unfortunately it is a big window and any sliver of opening in the curtains of course and you have a bright line, so it takes some fine adjustment to get it to cover fully. When it is sunny, it is much darker then it ever was, but it is not totally dark. It does a pretty good job, late in the morning it is just a subtle glow, not overwhelming light. I don't sleep past about 6:30 though and I never sleep during the day, so I cannot review that.

I would recommend them for nighttime use, but it is not going to block out sun for daytime sleeping.
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rud3d0g View Post
                          I got some Hunter Douglas honeycomb blackout blinds with a heavy black valance and curtians - they work well. I work nights and it is pitch black in my room when I sleep.
                          Cheers. That'll be of use for me.
                          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I bought some blackout/weather stripped curtains to keep the cold out in our main living room (We have 2 10'x6' windows in our living room and OEM single paned windows) I bought them Sierra trading post for $23/set. Pretty good IMO especially for the price... the definatley keep out the cold and the light from the neighbors spot light next door. We also have some black out blinds from nextday blind in our master bedroom and the kids room... They work like a dream (pure bliss for lying in a dark room when I have a migraine!) but they are a little pricey... (But again we have some odd shaped window so they we're quite expensive)

If I needed to buy more blinds/curtains I'd buy more of the one's I got form Sierra trading post....
                            The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                            What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                            SW 190lb
                            Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                            25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                            1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                            GW ~135lbs
                            5'3"
                            Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention, I LOVE the sound dampening effects of the Eclipse curtains which I am assuming would happen with any heavy drape. We are on a corner with lots of traffic, and they do a great job quietening the room. Probably has good insulation effects too.

I will have to check out the Sierra trading post mention, I have been wanting to change up the curtains in the guestroom and living room to the heavier version, that sounds like a great deal.
                              Erin
                              Daily Vlogs
                              Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X