Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving 1.5 hr to Trader Joe's Saturday, what Primal food is good from there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know that I buy too much that hasn't already been mentioned, but...Cheese in general is good prices. I get Blue Castello there, its a super soft creamy mild bleu cheese if you're into that, yum. Also they have freeze dried fruits cheaper than anywhere. Closest thing to frankenfood I buy, I think. Blueberries, Strawberries and a couple others. Lara bars are a pretty good price here too. I find most of the fish to be "fishy" I do like that I can get relatively inexpensive wild salmon for stew, skin already removed is a bonus. They had full fat coconut milk the last time I was there, but I don't think I've opened that one to see how it was yet. Nuts, especially mac's. Skin on almond flour, cheap and good for pseudo muffins /biscuits. Chocolate. This breaks the primal piggy bank but they have sea salt caramels that I sometimes feel compelled to buy Smoked Salmon, LOX- Best price around for wild, though I just got some for close to the same price, I think, at Costco today. Spices are pretty cheap. Frozen veggies are generally good, Froz fruit too. I'm going to have to pick up some of the suggested bacon next time I'm out there. Closest to me is just over 30 minutes, so I don't go unless I'm out there for something else...They definitely don't have enough for me to make it my only store, regardless. Everytime we go there my kids say, mom can we get some yogurt, oh nevermind this is the one that only has all the yucky fat free stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by earthspirit View Post
      And the shoppers there were really stuck-up and rude. General "i'm better than everyone because I shop here attitudes...
      Sounds like my TJ's (which isn't reaaally mine since it's 2.5 hours away... oh well, closest one there is.)
      It's built near an LA Fitness, and they also have a farmer's market once a week that's always covered in conceited yuppies, who also go to TJ's. I know I shouldn't care enough to make comments about them, but so many of them are just plain rude and selfish. I've been bumped into and shoved sooo many times, because apparently I'm too short to see, lol. Last time I went there, my bf and I were trying to get some food to take to the zoo, and some obnoxious woman was blockading the cheese/sausage section for about 15 minutes because she was busy having a conversation with her baby who couldn't even talk, derrrrp.

Comment

Ooooh taco seasoning...mmmm. I'm going to have to grab some if they have it at mine. I just noticed mine in the cupboard has some undesirable ingredients in it. I'm also planning on picking up their 21 seasoning blend mentioned on the everyday paleo blog.

Wow kandc! I can only hope mine has all that stuff! I'm really crossing my fingers on cheap nuts and almond flour hehe. I wouldn't mind some salmon too if it looks good. I also have a dark chocolate addiction...I am ashamed...really I am....ok maybe not. :P

Enamel, I'm probably just too much of a "bull" for a chick, but there's no way I would let someone stand in my way of good food lol. I'd be like, "Excuse me, your baby is in front of MY sausage and cheese." LOL.

Comment

I am in love with TJ's, and my closest one is two hours away. I make a large trip whenever I'm in town(like yesterday when I had to have my car serviced) otherwise, I have a friend who drives here every weekend, and I give him a list when I need it. A lot of yesterday's trip was focused on travel food, since I'm spending the next five days in Florida, and I'm amazed that no one has mentioned their organic beef jerky! It's amazing, and super flavorful.

Comment

Nieman pork chops wrapped in bacon. Two buck chuck wine. (May be more than two bucks wherever you live.)
            Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Recent find: 1 lb bags of frozen, sliced tri-color (red, yellow, green) bell peppers. Really handy to just take a handful out for stir fry or omelets.
              "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

These are not always available, so get them while you can:

Wild Argentinian shrimp, $8.99 a pound. Beautiful.
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I liked these items at Trader Joe's. At least these are some ideas from my recent visit attached.
                  They have a lot of trail mixes as well which are great for hikes and stuff.photo 1.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

Comment

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but they have bacon end pieces at a good price that are great for rendering(plus the tasty bacon bits). They also usually have Kerrygold butter at a fair price. Another thing we pick up there is some frozen fish(good mahi mahi).

Comment

I usually stock up on walnuts, almonds, almond flour when I make the trip to TJs. They seem to have the best prices on nuts in this area...

Comment

Working...
                      X