Born to Run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born to Run

I am about 75% through the book "Born to Run." It is simply amazing. Who else has read this book? What are your thoughts? I don't want it to end! I can not wait till winter is over so I can start running barefoot daily!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

All the runners at RunnersWorld raved about it when I was there, but I never got a chance to read it myself. I'm looking forward to warmer weather too. I'd like to get back to running a couple times a week.

Comment

Loved it!
      I haven't managed to find the love for running yet though.
      "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
      Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Comment

Loved the book, I even dabbled in having a salad for breakfast for a little bit because of it haha. I do think it kinda has a vegetarian agenda but it's not super strong and the focus is still always back to barefoot running or running in general. It never made me want to run for hours and hours though.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Great book. I'm thinking about reading it a second time here in the spring to get me revved up about running again.

Comment

Absolutely loved it.
            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyria View Post
              Loved it!
              I haven't managed to find the love for running yet though.
              +1

really fantastic book, but i just don't really seem to be a natural runner. I would always rather ride my bike. But i try to jog a little every week. I oughtta reread that book.

Comment

Great book. Don't get so fired up that you overdo it. He minimizes just how much rehab some people need. Start slowly, and fully barefoot if you have the courage. That tends to keep the miles down and lets you ramp up slowly. It's quite possible, and common, to run with poor form in VFFs. That's a short road to injury since you are now running badly with no support.

Gordo

Comment

I'm also about 3/4 of the way through after taking a break to read PB and Paleo Solution. Excellent read and makes you think a lot about CW as it relates to things other than food.
                  Primal Living since Jan 4/11
                  http://prairieprimal.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    I even dabbled in having a salad for breakfast for a little bit because of it haha.
                    me too! for a while I was really into my salads for breakfast. it is a great book, and actually, is the reason I found MDA in the first place! I read the book, then looked up Barefoot Ted's website, found his Google Group (which is great, by the way, http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches) and on the group there was a huge thread about paleo/primal lifestyles, and a link to MDA. so, quite literally, reading that book is what got me on track back to health, and got me off of the awful low-fat high grain diet and chronic cardio I had been suffering through before (with a measly 12 lbs lost in 6 months. ugh. compared to 30 lbs in 3 months primal). but if you're interested in starting barefoot running, I highly recommend BF Ted's group, the people are super helpful and can answer all your questions, and a lot of them are primal/paleo, too. my advice: don't do too much too soon or you'll REALLY regret it. it's hard not to do too much, though, because it is so much FUN to run barefoot!! :-D

Comment

Loved this book! Really motivated me to run more and with a different foot strike. Also has made me long for Vibram FFs. Time to read it second time to gear up for the spring!
                      Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Fantastic book, among the best I read last year. It was the last little push I needed to get into running ultras and I've been loving it since.

Just found out I made the lottery for the Bull Run Run 50 miler and I plan on running that as primal as possible.
                        --
                        http://runningwithdummies.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eisenreich View Post
                          Fantastic book, among the best I read last year. It was the last little push I needed to get into running ultras and I've been loving it since.

Just found out I made the lottery for the Bull Run Run 50 miler and I plan on running that as primal as possible.
                          That's awesome! I am a huge fan of 5K's but after now finishing Born to Run I wish to run in a few marathons. It won't happen this year but I can see myself completing a marathon in 2012 barefoot or in my VFF.
                          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                            Great book. Don't get so fired up that you overdo it. He minimizes just how much rehab some people need. Start slowly, and fully barefoot if you have the courage. That tends to keep the miles down and lets you ramp up slowly. It's quite possible, and common, to run with poor form in VFFs. That's a short road to injury since you are now running badly with no support.

Gordo
                            Strongly agree with Gordo. McDougal (author of Born to Run) does not stress the importnace of a very slow ramp up and building foot strength. Lot so finjury possibility from over-exuberance. I recommend you spend as much time this winter in barefeet as possible to build foot strength.

There are lots of good resources at runners world forum: http://www.newrunner.com/community/f...f-0f12bf559034 and a google discussion group (which I think is the better of the two): http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/topics?hl=en

Comment

PB and long distance

I really enjoyed "Born to Run" and was thinking about getting into longer distance running. But that book led me to learning about paleo and I've been listening to interviews with Mark Sisson. He seems to say the exact opposite, that we didn't evolve for the long distance hunting that McDougal talks about... who's right?

Comment

Working...
                              X