ibuprofen/internal bleeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibuprofen/internal bleeding

this is really not a primal question, but a "you people are smart, please help" question. Sunday night, on an overnight bus trip, I had cold sweat/fever, my vision blacked out for a few seconds, w/ nausea... I thought it was a combination of motion sickness or food poisoning; I didn't have any vomiting or diarrhea. Yesterday, I felt light-headed and when walking, felt my heartrate was far faster than it ought to be, and my legs felt as though they were made of lead. (today seemed a bit better)

last night, I had a bm, and the stool was black. Since this seemed odd, I turned to google, which informed me that it's generally a sign of internal bleeding (hurrah.). So, this morning, I made an appt. with the medical center on campus (studying abroad in Scotland); went in, said my symptoms, also mentioned food poisoning. took my bp, pulse, etc. felt my stomach, said that generally they don't treat food poisoning, come back if it gets worse or if there's blood in the stool.

I didn't say, oh, and I googled this, andd.....
    also, I take some sort of NSAID almost every day--excedrin, mostly.

so, question is, should I go back and say, I looked this up, and? do I have some sort of ulcer from ibuprofen, etc? most importantly, am I going to bleed out internally and die?

Thanks.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

I have no medical knowledge and the first thing I would say is - don't panic! Self diagnosing with google is always scarey...

If you are worried and need reassurance you could try calling nhs direct - 0845 4647 http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

Comment

You DID have blood in the stool with those black stools. Did you tell them that?

If I were you, I'd go back and explain the stools and the meds you take.

Comment

also, I take some sort of NSAID almost every day--excedrin, mostly.
        My questio is,
        Why are you taking so much excedrin, how many are you taking each day?

Grizz

Comment

emmie: I think I'll go back tomorrow (as they are closed now) and specifically say that there is blood there. I said that they were black, but I'd mentioned the possibility of food poisoning first and that might have been all that registered. Unfortunately, I still have the conditioned attitude that if someone is a health professional, they must be right.

grizz: take them for headaches, and now that I actually think about it, the behavior is absolutely moronic. The headaches are stress/tension related, so the painkillers aren't really addressing the underlying issues. (as shown by this episode) It's not as though I actually need them, more out of habit/convenience (if something hurts, pop a pill!). I'm not going to continue taking daily nsaids.

Comment

Whatever you do do not take anything with aspirin in it. My father in law self diagnosed himself as having something wrong with his heart and started taking aspirin. when he was feeling dizzy and nauseous and he didnt have much of an appetite. turned out he had a stomach ulcer that was bleeding and aspirin of course made it worse (thins the blood). he was pooping black poopies - A HUGE SIGN of internal bleeding of the stomach or intestines as it means its been a little bit digested. He neglected to tell us that part, and he ended up fainting out on 100 acre property in a different state while he was on his own and came to about 2 hrs later, and called us letting us know what happened. We had a close friend in the same area come pick him up and take him to the hospital and it was a huge stomach ulcer that had been bleeding into his stomach for close to 2 weeks. so please go get a test done, take a stool sample in whatever u need to do to get attention.

Comment

Sibyl,

Great, now we are making progress. Giving up all of those Excedrins should greatly help with your internal bleeding. Tell your doctor how many you were taking and why, your black stools, you could have given yourself an ulcer with all those excedrins & stress.

Now lets talk about your headaches. How often and how bad, and where on the head are they? Why are you so stressed out?

Grizz
              Last edited by Grizz; 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I had something similar happen to me after I had my wisdom teeth out (looooooong story...). But it was because of the ibuprofen I was taking for the pain of dry sockets (oy!). I went to the ER and they didn't treat me for it since it seemed to resolve on its own. Stop taking any pain meds and if it doesn't clear up or if symptoms get worse, then follow up.
                The Paleo Periodical
                It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

grizz: they're usually across the forehead and temples. They've been less frequent since Christmas, but last semester were usually once or twice a day. I'm less stressed now, but last semester had a very intense workload academically as well as serious tension in the roommate situation (my roommate is a vegetarian with serious food and depression issues, didn't talk to the other 4 girls in the suite, and felt constantly victimized)--but I have a lighter work-load, a single room, and a different roommate next semester. I've had fewer headaches in the past month, but they still occur when I'm anxious over schoolwork or travel or the various issues that arise from living in a different country.

Buttercup and Earthspirit: I haven't taken any medication since Monday morning. I plan to wait until tonight, and if symptoms persist, I'll make an appointment for Thursday and insist on tests. Thank you both so much for your help!

Comment

Sibyl,

You are not Superwoman, and you are not Wonder Woman. You are only a mere mortal. I suggest you look around yourself & COOL IT down to a more manageable level. I suggest that you Focus more on your health - good strict Paleo nutrition and MOST IMPORTANT take 10,000 IU daily of Vitamin D3 Geltabs. Vitamin D3 is ESSENTIAL to your immune system, which in turn prevents disease and a multitude of health problems. Your headaches could be related to abnormally low levels of Vitamin D3. Just look at the many mental disorders related to Vitamin D3 Deficiency, in Vitamin D Report Below.
                    Find some enjoyable outlets to destress such as exercise, walking, jogging, mountain climbing, roller skating, more SEX, etc. Great sex with lots of orgasms is a terrific way to destress and calm the nerves.

Please keep us informed of your progress in this thread. You have a lot of friends here to offer suggestions & guidance. It sometimes helps a great deal to simply explain your situation to others who care.

Best in life to you,
                    Grizz

Comment

I noticed you said you are studying in Scotland as a visitor. I live in the north of Scotland and wonder whether you are indeed feeling the effects of our winters here no - low sunlight and very much shortened days. If you come from an area where you are used to more sunlight vit D may well be an issue.

See if you can find a yoga class around the campus - that will give you breathing and relaxation techniques that might well help with the stress headaches.

I'm not sure how easy you'll find it to buy all these supplements over here. We have MUCH stricter rules than in the States. I'd err on the side of really good food first :-)
                      Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Comment

Kelda: I am studying in Glasgow, but did bring about half a bottle of Trader Joe's vitamin D with me! I'm certainly looking forward to the spring and the longer days. I have noticed that there seem to be far fewer supplements here--at the drugstores at home, there's usually about half an aisle full of various extracts, vitamins, and minerals.

The yoga classes offered at the athletic center here unfortunately don't fit into my schedule (the kettlebell classes do, though, which is why I signed up! those provide an outlet for stress, but I think yoga would probably be more effective for the headaches, lol) I just downloaded a bunch of free meditation podcasts from iTunes, so I'll see how those work out.

Comment

UPDATE: I went back to the doc. and was told that it was probably a virus of some sort, and that if it were internal bleeding, I would likely have abdominal pain and that the stools would be 'tarry,' but to come back if I wasn't feeling better by the middle of next week. They also told me to lay off the Excedrin--no surprise there!

I'm feeling less dizzy and lacking in energy than I was at the start of the week, so hopefully, whatever the issue is, it is resolved, and my body is recovering. Thank you, everyone, for all your advice and re-assurance!

Comment

Grizz: I've been taking vitamin D, but generally 2,000-3,000 IU daily. I think that even that amount has helped with my energy levels and mood (I am a McPaleface who uses sunscreen generously and lives in the north, so it seems to make sense that I'd be deficient) After reading that report, though, I'll be upping my intake! I want to persuade my mother and sister to start taking vitamin D supplements, as we all have issues with seasonal depression. I just started taking classes in kettlebells and kickboxing, which have been great so far. Haha, I'm sure sex would be a great de-stressor, if my love life were not the barren wasteland that it is. (I sweaaaar I'm not an ogre...I think I just intimidate them with my great looks and brilliant intellect.)

Thank you so much for your help, it really does mean a lot to me!

Comment

I'm a GI endoscopy nurse and have seen LOTS of people with GI bleeds. Many of them have no pain at all. Black tarry stools are certainly a sign of internal bleeding, but could also be caused by some medications. Iron supplements can turn your stools black. The light-headedness/rapid heartbeat could be a sign of anemia from blood loss - or, you could have a virus as the doctor said. Did they do blood work to check your hematocrit or hemoglobin? That would determine whether you are anemic. If your stools continue to be black and you continue to feel lightheaded or if you tire easily, and if you don't have any other viral symptoms, go back and ask them to check your blood for anemia and to check your stool for occult blood.
                              My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                              On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Working...
                              X