• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye organic beef and vegetables in America

Monsanto has approval to plant GM alfafa and no one has to keep track:

http://www.alternet.org/story/149716/
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

That is just plain scary. Here's hoping they don't do something equally stupid over here!
    My Journal

Comment

Might be ok yet, their opponents seem to have a time machine:

There will be no tracking, no notification system, and no responsibility on the part of Monsanto for any business that is lost as a result of the genetic contamination that is certain to result.
      The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
      Blog
      sigpic

Comment

The article doesn't really go into why genetically engineered alfalfa is bad. What did they change? How does that affect the cows and the nutrient make-up of the beef/dairy that they produce? I would say that "GE foods" are much more prevalent than most people realize and that it's not always a bad thing. Anyone have any insight into what is bad about this alfalfa? or is it just because it was "genetically altered"?
        Originally posted by runnergal
        You just didn't define Healthy Whole Grains properly. Many steak recipes refer to cutting "against the grain" when slicing. Therefore beef has grains. If you eat everything on your plate, you have eaten the whole thing. Eating an entire steak is eating healthy whole grains.

Comment

Originally posted by Beastman View Post
          The article doesn't really go into why genetically engineered alfalfa is bad. What did they change? How does that affect the cows and the nutrient make-up of the beef/dairy that they produce? I would say that "GE foods" are much more prevalent than most people realize and that it's not always a bad thing. Anyone have any insight into what is bad about this alfalfa? or is it just because it was "genetically altered"?
          What could ever be wrong with regular alfalfa though?

I think this is an attempt by Monsanto to keep fucking farmers over and suing them for using THEIR “round-up ready” alfalfa (once cross contamination happens) IIRC round-up is a pesticide created by Monsanto. I saw Food Inc two years ago and that’s what I vaguely remember from it, Monsanto did the same with corn (or soy??) and many farmers were facing ridiculous lawsuits that put them out of business.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Much like Monsanto made Roundup Ready Soybeans in the mid '90's, this is Roundup Ready Alfalfa. Roundup, for those that may not know, is a pretty heavy duty herbicide that basicially kills everything. Broadleaf, woody, the whole thing. I think if you used enough of it , you could probably kill a tree with it. They GM'ed the soybean, and now the alfalfa seed to be impervious to the Roundup, thus allowing farmers to essentially drop a tactical nuke on their fields and kill everything except the crop.

I come from a farming background in Missouri, and Monsanto has their HQ in St. Louis. I think it's Food Inc. that tells the story of Monsanto hunting down the few farmers that refused to buy Monsanto soybeans, and kept seed stock from their last harvest. Monsanto claimed that the farmer's beans contained their intellectual property (since there's no way to control cross breeding amongst the fields that are Monsanto and non Monsanto) and they sue the pants off the poor farmers, who are barely scraping a living in the first place. Faced with financial ruin, they comply.

I don't know if the same will happen with alfalfa, since alfalfa is just cut several times in the summer and baled. The plant itself is never harvested, it just grows again like grass. Eventually though they'll have to reseed, but maybe not if the fields are kept "weed" free.

For those that don't know, you also can't just feed a cow nothing but alfalfa. It gives them the "scours" essentially diarrhea and stomach bloating, which they can die from. Farmers typically grind up a small amount in the winter feed along with corn, sorghum, and minerals. This meal usually supplements the hay that they mostly eat. You don't just throw bales of alfalfa to them and let them go at it for the reasons described above. At least this was how my uncle did it on his farm in the early 90's. I can't speak for large commercial operations. It's also typical for farmers to let the herd out into harvested corn fields to eat the ears that the combine missed. Silage, or ground up corn...plant and all, it also common to feed herds in the winter in Missouri, especially when maybe the corn crop was bad, or the price of hay is through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Beastman View Post
              That's part of the problem. We don't know because nobody's been able to do an unbiased study.
              Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                What could ever be wrong with regular alfalfa though?

I think this is an attempt by Monsanto to keep fucking farmers over and suing them for using THEIR “round-up ready” alfalfa (once cross contamination happens) IIRC round-up is a pesticide created by Monsanto. I saw Food Inc two years ago and that’s what I vaguely remember from it, Monsanto did the same with corn (or soy??) and many farmers were facing ridiculous lawsuits that put them out of business.
                Corn, soy, anything they can put a patent on.

And there are several reasons why GMOs are not ideal. One, which is concerning, is the alteration of the genetic structure (obviously) such that food items that were traditionally non-allergenic (or low) can cause severe reactions if they contain proteins from a high allergenic food item. GMOs for human food consumption are not allowed to contain high levels of these proteins. However, if you have something like corn, which is used for both animal feed (not being screened for said proteins) and human consumption, there is no way to guarentee cross-contamination/mix-ups at harvest time will not occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                  That's part of the problem. We don't know because nobody's been able to do an unbiased study.
                  That figures. This is just big business corruption all over then. Kinda makes you sick.
                  Originally posted by runnergal
                  You just didn't define Healthy Whole Grains properly. Many steak recipes refer to cutting "against the grain" when slicing. Therefore beef has grains. If you eat everything on your plate, you have eaten the whole thing. Eating an entire steak is eating healthy whole grains.

Comment

OK. Question: If the majority of the public knew their food had genetically modified components in it (i.e. a Label), they wouldn't buy it. So how is it legal or ethical to sneak through products without a label of what is actually in the food?
                    Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Originally posted by New Renaissance View Post
                      OK. Question: If the majority of the public knew their food had genetically modified components in it (i.e. a Label), they wouldn't buy it. So how is it legal or ethical to sneak through products without a label of what is actually in the food?
                      Well, when the people running the regulatory agencies have a revolving door into management positions in the big food companies...
                      Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Originally posted by New Renaissance View Post
                        Honestly, I don't think the majority of the public would give a damn. Look at labels now. I'd wager most people can't pronounce half the stuff in most processed foods and they still buy it by the cartful. I know I did up until going primal, and I see it every time I go to the grocery store.

Also, it is legal it seems to me because a huge campaign contribution from Monsanto pays for more TV ads than chasing down a bunch of small donations from people who actually give a damn about food.

As for ethics, well, that doesn't seem to matter much in this day and time.

Comment

I doubt it will do any good, but if you would like to, let the President know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
                            I doubt it will do any good, but if you would like to, let the President know what you think.
                            Thank you for sharing this link!!

Comment

Working...
                            X