How do you spend your 20%?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you spend your 20%?

My husband and I are coming off of the 30 day paleo challenge and we're basically sold. We've been very strict about paleo eating this month and we're both very happy with it. After about week 3, the fog lifted and we are starting to feel the benefits more.

I've heard mention that a lot of primal eaters stick to an 80/20 rule and I'm considering what that might look like for me. I'm hesitant to add anything that might mess up how great I feel, even at 20%.

Do many of you try to stay close to 100% or do you allow for this flexibility? For those of you that do the 80/20 thing, how do you like to "spend" your 20%?

Right now I'm thinking I might want to have a piece of a sushi roll with my sashimi, but I'm still wondering if it's worth it at this point.

then don't add anything.

i don't think of the 20% like a spending account.

for me, it's about is something stressing me out? eg, if i'm not getting the prescribed amount of sleep, am i obsessing? if i'm at a wedding, am i obsessing about whether or not they are serving primal? etc etc etc. kwim?

i don't "spend" my 20%.

Comment

I don't actively "spend" my 20% really. I try to stay as primal as comfortably possible. I can't afford to buy the perfect primal foods, so my canned tuna has some soy broth in it and I have sausage with a couple of chemical fillers and use some non-primal condiments occasionally and stuff like that. So, little things sneak their way in and while shooting for 100% I probably tend to fall around 90-95% most of the time. And the rest is for holiday indulgences, eating out (very rare for me, usually ends up being sushi) and things of the like.
      Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 01-31-2011, 11:43 PM.

Comment

20% is not an entitlement, its latitude for when you can't do 100%. You should always strive for 100, but never beat yourself up if you don't make it
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Here is MY 20% - Only 500 calories of YUMMY ! A Banana Split at Sonic . . . .

It even has a little Vitamin D - and nourishing banana - Bwahahahahahaha

OR THIS OREO BLAST

with nourishing OREO cookies - Mwaahaahaahahahahaha

Grizz
          Last edited by Grizz; 02-01-2011, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
            20% is not an entitlement, its latitude for when you can't do 100%. You should always strive for 100, but never beat yourself up if you don't make it
            +1
            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I let mine allow for small-quantitiy non-primal ingredients in food I don't prepare myself. Such as not worrying too much of the shrimp in the BAS is breaded, or if something was sauteed in the right kind of oil, or garnished with the wrong kind of cheese. As long as I have avoided the major CW/SAD food groups (grains, beans, sugars, manufactured food) I feel I have hit the 80% minimum threshold. Of course I do better when I can.
              Last edited by urbansix; 02-03-2011, 05:29 AM.

Comment

I go out to eat with my dad and brother every other week - If we get Philly cheese steaks I have bread, while I cut the rice and tortilla and double or sometimes triple the meat at Chipotle I do grab black beans. If burgers I get buns and and I leave the breading on fried fish - though I cut out the chips/fries.Used to have pizza every week - now that I cut it out of my diet completely I really don't feel getting 20% in - grains now seem to cause me to bloat up. 2 slices of bread every 2 weeks or so seems like more than enough. Have managed to get my dining companions to frequent BBQ pits more often where I can get some greens and lots of meat instead of bread ;D
                "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Comment

+1

The variance amongst primal folks comes from what different people consider to be primal. Some think dairy is fine, some don't. Some include a little 85% chocolate and/or red wine and don't consider it a cheat. Others would call that their 20%.

I think only aiming for 80% sets you up to hit 60-65% if you're lucky. Aiming for 100% and not stressing when you hit 80% due to circumstances beyond your control is what the 80/20 rule is about I believe.

Personally I aim for 100% when at home but I don't sweat a little sugar in my vietnamese dipping sauce at a restaurant, or if I know a gravy may have a little flour in it as thickener, however I don't deliberately choose non-primal foods.
                  My Journal

Comment

Why isn't it an entitlement? I certainly don't want to be a Mark Sisson fundamentalist, but i believe he uses his 20% for Cinnabon, Ben and Jerry's, and some weird liquer, the name of which escapes me. I'm sure that isn't 20% of time time, but it's clearly avoidable.

I see it as for those occasions when you want to eat something non-Primal. I use mine for the foods that are high on my "eff-off chart". Do I do that 20% of the time? No. But sometimes one wants a piece of pie.

Comment

When we're eating under someone else's roof, and the 95 year old grandma makes lasagne Just. For. Us. that's the 20%.

Or when you're at a restaurant and you know the chicken is coated in breading and the salad dressing has sugar in it. That's 20%.

Sugar in my coffee is my personal 20%.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to add, and this is in Mark's book... Primal BluePrint 80/20 is like school...

I tell my kids, "I'll be happy if you bring home a B or an A."

I don't scream, "IT BETTER BE AN 'A' YOU LITTLE...!!!"

This takes the pressure off so they can relax, do the work, and actually learn something.

If they do bring home a C, D or F, I know that they either aren't doing the work, or they don't understand something and we can help them.

Comment

As has been mentioned, if you aim for 80%, you'll wind up w/ 60. If you aim for 100% and hit 85-90 you can be relaxed and not think about food at all which is my goal. So don't plan on 20% but have a couple of homemade cookies if someone brings them to work or have some sushi if the mood strikes you when you're out.
                          Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                            As has been mentioned, if you aim for 80%, you'll wind up w/ 60. If you aim for 100% and hit 85-90 you can be relaxed and not think about food at all which is my goal. So don't plan on 20% but have a couple of homemade cookies if someone brings them to work or have some sushi if the mood strikes you when you're out.
                            +1 and for a lot of the other posts here. I don't plan my 20%. I just try to be as primal as possible and if I slip a little here or there or want to throw in the occasional indulgence, then that's my 20%. For instance, we had family over for dinner this past weekend. I made a completely primal dinner (that everyone loved!) and my sister-in-law brought a non-primal homemade cheesecake for dessert. Did I have a piece? Absolutely! I wouldn't miss her awesome cheesecake for anything.

I also don't stress about whether I've been perfectly at my 20% or not. Some weeks/days I'm 100% primal. Other weeks/days, I might be more like 75% primal. I just figure it all evens out in the long run and I don't put too much focus on anything other than being 100% with an indulgence thrown in once in a while to keep me sane.

Comment

yup, my 20% is my non stress factor. And I want to be invitable to places.

A lot of it is used up on eating out or dining at friends houses. Soysauce and canola and sugar in the steak marinade, weird oil and probably cornstarch on the veggies, who knows where the meat comes from. My friends cook everything in EVOO.
                              Others:
                              Nitrates in my bacon, non organic veggies in the winter, The stockpile of CAFO meat in my freezer that I am going to use up, not throw away. Mayonnaise that I didnt make myself. Occasionally using tiny amounts of worcestershire or tamari sauce. Grey Poupon...havent found another dijon that I like.
                              White wine - because red wine messes with my sleep.

Way way way less frequently than 20%...I will have a beer again, and not some low carb beer. I like porters and stouts. I live in Oregon, the capital of good beer. But not right now. When my weight is stable I will indulge, maybe monthly. I dont forsee never having dessert again either. In fact I run a marathon every fall where the race director makes homemade from scratch pumpkin pie. I will eat it. Along with the beer.
                              MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Working...
                              X