Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal for Pets?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, so please forgive me if this topic has been covered before.

I've been PB for almost 3 weeks and loving it. With the increase in meat around here, I've noticed our 2 cats becoming quite the beggars and lingering around my daughter's high chair in the hopes of some fallen morsels. They've never done this before!

It's made me think I need to give them a primal diet too. They run through their dry food quickly and seem to be starving by the time dinnertime rolls around. Of course, I assume this is due to the carbs in it!

I've been browsing the pet food section and have looked at several more natural-based versions, but all seem to have some sort of grain in them (barley, corn, wheat, etc.).

Does anyone have any recommendations for primal pet food for cats? I found Primal Pet Foods online, but they don't have an online store and there are no vendors around these parts. There is also some frozen stuff at my co-op, but it's expensive! Is there anything else out there?
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Orijen. By far the most Primal I have found. My dog thrives on it!
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Orijen is great, so is evo, and taste of the wild. All grain free

Comment

I do Orijen one meal and raw the other. You can buy frozen raw at some pet stores.

I cube and freeze these in a single layer, then bag:
        Beef heart
        Pork shoulder
        Beef liver
        Chicken livers
        Chicken hearts
        Chicken wings no need to ct

In the morning out pull out a mix of frozen cubes. By dinner time it is thawed and ready. Miss K munches through the wings bones and all with no problem. Her coat has never looked better.

Comment

We had our dog on a primal kibble but have moved him to a raw (prey model) diet. His behavior is better (less anxious & more happy), coat looks awesome, not as many allergies....its great! And not anymore expensive than the dry high quality stuff

Comment

Raw or home cooked meat really is best. I can't do raw for mine, so I home cook for them. I rotate meat and veggies. No grains. I supplement with a multi, calcium, and glucosamine.

Sometimes I use Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl. It's a pre-mix of veggies, no grains, nutritionally complete. Easy! You just add raw or cooked meat, and oil - like fish oil. My dogs love it.

Weruva makes a good canned food. Some of them are grain-free.

If you have to feed kibble, IMO Orijen and Acana Pacifica are the best.

Hope this helps.

Comment

My (supposed to be) miniature Aussie has been on a raw diet (prey model) since 6 weeks of age.

He tips the scale at over 55 pounds-which is good-sized for a Standard Australian, let alone a papered miniature(!)-and has a huge amount of bone. His cannon bones ("wrists") are the same diameter as mine. He stands approx 23" tall-again, at the top of the 'standard' for a regular aussie. He gets strictly meat-hand him a doggy bone, and he'll take it politely, and then go bury it. Has no interest in it. His idea of a treat worth wiggling for is freeze dried liver.

He has bright white teeth (no dental required in the forseeable future), minimal 'poopage', and a soft, glossy, minimally-shedding coat (which for a longhaired, double coated dog is really saying something). The only time he sheds is when he blows his coat in spring and fall...though I do keep him bathed and brushed regularly with copious amounts of showsheen to minimize the dirt he tracks into the house.
              Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

www.uswellnessmeats.com and www.texasgrasfedbeef.com have high organ pet mix, bones etc. Not bad places to pick yourself up some meat, too!

Comment

Does anyone have any observations on hyperactive/agitated dogs settling down on a primal diet of raw meat and a few veggies?

Comment

I don't like that Orijen for cats contains potatoes. I really disagree with feeding cats nightshades.

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup View Post
                      Does anyone have any recommendations for primal pet food for cats? I found Primal Pet Foods online, but they don't have an online store and there are no vendors around these parts. There is also some frozen stuff at my co-op, but it's expensive! Is there anything else out there?
                      Canned tuna/salmon in water (not oil) or any cooked or raw fish (filets) or chicken (filets). When we had cats, they used to love canned tuna and liver pâté. One thing that really fascinated me was that whenever they were given "primal" food (i.e. fish, chicken or liver) they would make loud purring noises while eating, and when they got fish or chicken they would drag it around and play with it, just like they would when they had caught a small bird or mouse on their own.
                      Norak's Primal Journal:
                      2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                      2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                      2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

We are thinking about adding a dog to our family this summer. Can someone clue me in on the Prey Model or where to read about it?
                        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Cats are obligate carnivores. What that means is they require meat and meat alone to thrive. I took my cats off kibble 3 years ago and began feeding them raw meat, just as their bodies were designed to eat. Their coats are amazingly shiny and soft, and the older cat who had lost quite a bit of his belly fur regrew it all thick and lush. They began playing again (at ages 8 and 15), hack up by far fewer furballs and no longer have vile litter episodes. I buy them cheap cuts and they also get plenty of organ meats. It was a tough transition, their jaws aren't used to chewing muscle and tendon, but they do adapt and quickly. My cats will now turn their noses at and walk away from kibble. They know...lol.

From Wiki:
                          Obligate carnivores
                          Obligate or true carnivores depend solely on the nutrients found in animal flesh for their survival. While they may consume small amounts of plant material, they lack the physiology required for the efficient digestion of vegetable matter and, in fact, some carnivorous mammals eat vegetation specifically as an emetic. The domestic cat is a prime example of an obligate carnivore, as are all of the other felids.

Carnivore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                            I don't like that Orijen for cats contains potatoes. I really disagree with feeding cats nightshades.
                            Seriously, why do they put potatoes in the food? I guess its still better than feeding grain based like most of the other pet food brands.

I have a cat that has to eat a certain food because he is allergic. It is a vet brand and it costs $50 a bag. The first ingredient listed is a grain, but after reading this I am thinking about trying out the Orijen food or something along the same lines. I just noticed that a local pet food store has a brand that may be what I need. Primal Pet Foods: Wholesome Raw Food for Dogs and Cats

Perhaps my cat has problems digesting food because he has been eating grains. Kind of pisses me off now that I think about it.

Comment

While a meat-only diet is optimal for cats, for some of us the cost means making some compromises. If it comes down to choosing grain free vs standard dry food... of course grain-free is better.

I have 2 older cats (shelter cats) who are VERY fussy and won't touch most meats. I'm going to attempt to transition them to Taste of the Wild as soon as their current dry food is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X