Vit D3 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vit D3 question

Sorry, I'm ADD and if I had more patience I would read through the boards to see if this was posted already, but I don't have that kind of patience.

I've started taking 5k IU's of D3 daily and I am noticing that I do feel better. I am getting over a sinus infection and was wondering while I am still recovering if its ok to double the dosage to 10k IU's? I've noticed that when I take it in the morning, my sinuses feel almost instantly better so was thinking I should take it in the evening before I go to bed. I live in Ohio and its grey about 98% of the time during winter.
    Georgette

you can double that without trouble. in fact, one of the recent articles posted on here mentioned--i think--that taking 5k was about the minimum for what levels we ought to have. grizz, cillkat...you guys want to confirm that, or just spank me and tell me to shut up?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Thanks primalrob. Do you think I should break it into 2 doses daily of 5k IU's or just take the whole lot at once? I do wake up fairly stuffy in the middle of the night.
      Georgette

Comment

Yes, fine to take up to 40,000 IUs for a few days. You can take them all at once, or space them out--no difference to your body as D is fat soluble.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
          Thanks primalrob. Do you think I should break it into 2 doses daily of 5k IU's or just take the whole lot at once? I do wake up fairly stuffy in the middle of the night.
          i take 10k all at once, but that has more to do laziness, or a moment before i go to bed where i say, "shit, forgot to take the supplements"
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
            Yes, fine to take up to 40,000 IUs for a few days. You can take them all at once, or space them out--no difference to your body as D is fat soluble.

Thanks so much Dragonfly! I never realized how much better taking this has made me feel! I guess you could say I'm fairly deficient. Thanks again!!
            Georgette

Comment

Geostump,

What counts most is your Vitamin D3 Blood test after taking Vitamin D3 for 3 months. You want to see your 25(oh)D blood level at an optimum level of 60 to 70 ng/ml per Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis, or between 50 to 80 ng/ml per the Vitamin D3 council. Each 1,000 IU change in dosage will result in a 10 ng/ml change in your blood level.

Go ahead and increase your dosage to 10,000 IU daily, as the Vitamin D Council has said there has never been a reported overdose at 10,000 IU Daily. You can take both capsules at the same time.

Vitamin D3 is much more than a vitamin. It is a hormone required for your immune system. It also prevents a whole litany of diseases described below.
              Where to get your blood test & much more below,
              Grizz

Comment

My doctor said my vit D was at 32 so 5000 Iu should be sufficient or do you recommend more?
                my photo stream
                The Enlightened Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by jon tall tree View Post
                  My doctor said my vit D was at 32 so 5000 Iu should be sufficient or do you recommend more?
                  Once you get your blood level between 55 and 65 ng/ml (recommended range by many researchers), you should need only about 1000 IU per 25 lbs of body weight to maintain. You aren't sufficient yet, so would suggest 10,000 IUs for 3 months and then test again.
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

jon tall tree,

Your vitamin D blood level was at 32? How much Vitamin D3 were you taking to get that reading? If you had been taking 5,000 IU Daily for at least 2 - 3 months, then you need more to get your blood level to Optimum at 60 to 70 ng/ml.

You need to get from 32 to 62 ng/ml - a change of 30 ng/ml . This will require 3,000 IU Daily of additional Vitamin D3. So if I interpreted what you said correctly then you should be taking 8,000 IU Daily to get your blood level to 62 ng/ml.

Sorry Dragonfly, you and I were replying to jon at the same time...

Dragonfly is also correct, you will just get to the same place by a different route.

For more on Vitamin D3, see my report below,
                    Grizz
                    Last edited by Grizz; 01-28-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Use a neti pot regularly if you're prone to sinus issues.
                      Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

Thanks for the replies i should of stated i wasn't supplementing with vit D until i saw your sig in wich case i got it tested So if i take none i should atleast take 3000Iu to get to 62 but for a better route take closer to 10000Iu daily for 3months
                        my photo stream
                        The Enlightened Warrior

Comment

jon tall tree,
                          so you weren't taking ANY Vitamin D3 and your 25(OH)D Blood Level tested at 32 ? Is this correct? When was your blood test done? You must have superior genes in regard to Vitamin D3. Maybe because your name suggests you are a native American?

This is VERY VERY unusual. You must be getting a lot of natural sunshine. Or do you use tanning beds? Where do you live? My question is why would your 25(oh)D blood level be so high without any supplements? This must be factored into the supplements that you will take in the future. One size does not fit all.

In your special case, I think you should just take 3,000 IU Daily for another 3 months and then get your blood tested again. You could be one of those very rare people who only need a small amount of supplements to get achieve an optimal blood level of 60-70 ng/ml.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, I have taken 10,000 IU daily for 3 months & my blood tested at a lowly 45. I am one of those rare people who need 12,000 IU Daily. Yet my wife tested out at near perfect 74 ng/ml with only 10,000 IU Daily. Others have reported they only need 6,000 IU Daily.

Please see this link by Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis: One size does not fit all
                          http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...vitamin-d.html

Best of health to all,
                          Grizz
                          Last edited by Grizz; 01-29-2011, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NonToxChick
                            So glad someone posted this question as I was about to ask it. I have been taking between 2000 (summer) and 4000 IU daily for 17 months. I live in the northern latitudes so only get sun for a few months each summer but am out in it a lot gardening and hiking, no sunscreen just monitor for slight burn and then inside I go. I just got my D test results back yesterday and it was 29. I was absolutely shocked. I'm just guessing that my level was extremely low prior to supplementing because since taking it I no longer suffer from seasonal depression and I have only been sick once in 17 months and that was right after I started supplementing it. I was taking the gel caps, then dry tablets with fatty food, but have just recently switched to the drops. I am now taking 10,000 IU and will get retested in a couple months. Do you think 10,000 IU is sufficient or should I take more? I'm a little over 200 pounds. Thanks for the links, going to do some reading now.
                            I >LOVE< your weight scale !

IMO, you should continue taking 10,000 IU Daily for 3 months then make an adjustment after your next blood test.
                            The rule is simple. For every 1,000 IU Change in your daily dosage, your 25(oh)D blood level will change by 10 ng/ml..

You didn't say how old you are. If you are over 40 years old, your skin loses most of its ability to manufacture Vitamin D, so summer exposure to the sun is of little help. Even less help in a northern latitude. This explains why older people in Florida who get PLENTY of sun are still deficient and suffering from the many diseases typical of Vitamin D3 Deficiency.
                            http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...n-d-right.html

Using another approach, we can calculate your needs based on your current dosage of 4,000 IU Daily and your blood test of 29. You need to boost your blood reading to 65, a change of 36. This will take about 3,500 IU in additional Vitamin D3 to boost.
                            >> 4,000 IU plus 3,500 IU = 7,500 IU daily. This should get you into the optimal reading. So if you take 10,000 IU Daily, you should end up in the high end of the Vitamin D Council's recommendation of 50 to 80 ng/ml. This is VERY controversial, but I would personally prefer to be on the high side of optimal than on the low side in view of so many diseases related to D-Deficiency. Just my opinion and you should decide for yourself based on your own Due Diligence & research.

More in my Vitamin D Special Report, below. Don't be bashful, please ask all the questions you want.

Best of Health to all,
                            Grizz
                            Last edited by Grizz; 01-29-2011, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Hah i do have native American blood in me but it's watered down with the blood of many other cultures. I live in Boston and with this harsh winter I've had abnormal sleeping patterns almost to a point of hibernation. I haven't been out in the sun even close to as much as i would like, Im gonna try 3000Iu and retest in3 months to see where Im at. Thanks for your response it's much appreciated
                              my photo stream
                              The Enlightened Warrior

Comment

Working...
                              X