Coconut oil in lieu of lotion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut oil in lieu of lotion?

Hello friends. I was wondering if any of you use coconut oil instead of conventional lotions. I have begun to use it on my legs and arms when its dry and it seems like a pretty good use of it. I have also used it on my face. I read somewhere I believe on Dr. Mercola's site that you shouldn't put anything on your skin that you wouldn't put in your mouth and eat. This is because you absorb it a lot of things through your skin. With all the alcohols and chemicals they put in conventional lotion I would't want any of that ever being absorbed into my system even if it is only trace amounts. I know some people who are allergic to coconut oil have had allergic rashes to it but for me its been smooth sailing so far. Anybody else use coconut oil in this way?
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

I do, and I use it on my toddlers as well. I`m also experimenting with sea buckthorn oil (definitely edible) for my KP.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Comment

yes, yes i do.

when pregnant, i would put about 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil in my bath water and soaked away.

now i just rub it in.

Comment

are you using the weleda sea buckthorn? we're looking at that.

Comment

Yes, I have the weleda sea buckthorn oil and lotion. The oil is heavenly, the lotion is good for a light application. I`m also using a sea buckthorn soap, that is hand crafted in my village. It`s awesome.

I`ve been using it for about a week, and my skin is happy for the first time in a long time.
          The more I see the less I know for sure.
          -John Lennon

Comment

kewl

Comment

I think its far better to use coconut oil than anything else on your skin provided its organic virgin cold pressed. It has antifungal/viral/bacterial properties so is excellent all over your body, i use it every time i get out of the shower because it works, really well.

CHECK THIS OUT: http://www.coconut-connections.com/skin_care.htm

Comment

I use it in the place of lotion and chapstick. It works really nicely, but I find it's most effective if applied on still-slightly-damp skin right out of the shower. I get tremendously dry hands in the winter and if I let them get really bad, I'll have to spend a day rubbing in the oil very regularly - once every couple of hours or so. But then they'll even out and be great with just a couple applications a day.

I also use it, followed by a dusting of baking soda, in the place of deodorant. It works much better than any of the dozen or so natural deodorant products I paid obscene amounts of money for. And running my just-oiled hands over my hair lightly does a beautiful job of controlling fly-aways.

Comment

yep.
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I use it regularly, body, face, hands, feet. Good stuff. Makes for easy packing for traveling with a carry on only.
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

I am following Bee Wilder's candida healing program which calls for ingesting 5.5 Tbsp coconut oil/day.

Before that, I had to continually put lotion on my hands and face and my heels were always a mess. I also had Rosacea which caused my face to peel and have dry patches.

Since beginning Bee's pgm (last March), I no longer use any lotion on my skin, other than coconut oil. My Rosacea (caused by toxins being released) is going away; the peeling skin is lessening. I only put CO on my hands upon my first bathroom visit; none the rest of the day, altho my hands continue to be in water all day long (home maker).

I, too, use CO for deodorant. I also use it for oil pulling (google it; my teeth are whiter!).

I believe it is great to use topically but I feel the most benefits i have received have come from ingesting CO. (since i don't use it at all on my feet and my heels are soft!!)

Comment

[QUOTE=Now I Have Fangs;313524]I think its far better to use coconut oil than anything else on your skin provided its organic virgin cold pressed.

Not potatoes then?
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

only sweet potatoes.

JOKER 4..jpg
                          YOU DONT NEEED TO KNOW WHATS IN THE BURGER...

Comment

Great replies thanks guys. I am glad I am not the only one using coconut oil in place of lotion. And I do use the organic extra virgin cold pressed. Like some of you posters I also use baking soda instead of deodorant. I workout a lot and baking soda does a really great job, in fact better than deodorant for me. Plus I find that I can save money using baking soda. A box is only about a dollar and it has lasted me all year. I used to buy 1 bar of deodorant per month at $2.99-$3.99 a pop. Good stuff.
                            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
                              ... Plus I find that I can save money using baking soda. A box is only about a dollar and it has lasted me all year. I used to buy 1 bar of deodorant per month at $2.99-$3.99 a pop. Good stuff.
                              Hey, you'll have to start exploring other ways to use baking soda... I now buy the 5# bag at Costco! Not only do I have the family brushing their teeth with it, but we use it to boost laundry soap and to scrub our ceramic stove top; it works great! I did try making our own dish washing detergent (mixing BS with borax) but the dishes just did not come out clean... back to the drawing board for that one!

Comment

Working...
                              X