Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human planet

-- This is going to rule --

New series much like Planet Earth but about humans and their environment. Looks awesome. I'm a sucker for shows like this.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Yep, looks cool. Must see if I can find it.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

OMG, that looks awesome.

It startles us, I think, every time we get a glimpse of ourselves as a species of animal, as part of the ecosystem of earth. This reminds me of a recurring daydream I have of going back to university and studying anthropology, which means, "The study of being human." I can't think of anything more fascinating.

Thanks for sharing and if you catch the particulars for this show's debut, please do shout out!

PWG

Comment

Anthropology means the study of humankind. The study of being human would be better called meditation.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I do that, too! No wonder I'm interested...

Comment

This show looks fascinating. Lovely film work in the promo. One of my favourite classes in university was called "Human Geography" and I always remember something the professor said the real changing point from what I now think of as Paleo living (hunter gatherer) to today's modern living. He said humans are the most adaptive animals on the planet and that originally we learned to adapt to our environment better than any other species, which is why we have survived so long, but the big changes to civilization, human development and advancement, exchange of ideas and abilities etc started when humans became more interested in forcing their environment to change to suit their needs rather than changing their needs to suit the environment they were in. When I look at our modern world and all our health and environmental issues going on now I can totally see the chain of events leading to this mess we've created. It was an amazing class, would have easily gone hand and hand with an anthropology class.
            The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Comment

This show looks stunning. Will it be on TV? I want to watch it!
              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

that looks really cool! also, did you see that they're working on a sister production called "little human planet"? it's basically the same thing, but the focus is on children. then there was also the Babies movie.

my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I've seen the Babies movie. It was okay.
                  But Human Planet looks awesome!
                  Annnnnnd this is why I'm an anthropology major. People are so adaptable and it always amazes me (especially when there is an underlying biological reason for the adaption... to prevent/fight disease, hack food for nutrition, etc.).

Comment

i really wanted to see "Babies" but DH wouldn't have it. Now that he's reading more, he's seeing the benefits of having it. LOL oh yeah, she likes movies too!

this show looks cool, but i have to wait for DVD!

Comment

oh, and i have to say, it is one great miracle to see -- for the first time -- the human infant stand up and walk a few steps. it is a truly blessed thing.

DS learned to stand in LAX at about 8 months old. he crawled over to some buddhist monks, pulled himself up and flirted, then crawled away about 18 inches, and would stand up, then fall down. he would stand up, sort of hop, and fall down. they applauded him, and spoke to him in their native language. he loved it.

but the walking, the first real walking -- it was august. he was 11.5 months or so, i would say, and it was a lovely day. we went outside. i took a book. DS got into a 3-point stance, then stood up and took five steps -- unsteady, but with so much purpose and grace (not of body but spirit), and then put his hand down back into three poitn stance, and then stood up and walked again. the wind was blowing gently, and he continued this -- in a little circle around me -- for about an hour, then curled up on the blanket and napped. it was so. . .special really.

Comment

There might be another thread on this but it wasn't started by me so it won't get the bump treatment it might deserve.

I got this series over the weekend and obsessively watched almost the whole thing. It is AMAZING. So many people doing things on a daily basis that I would probably never want to do in my entire life. We are so ridiculously privileged to be able to sit like jerk-offs in front of a computer. I'm sorry to generalize I should just speak for myself but man, we have it entirely too easy, even those of us that are struggling perhaps economically. Some people in Africa literally visit a garbage dump every day and scavenge for food and any potential valuables they can trade for food, it left me speechless. How far we've been able to extend our reach and populate the earth is just nuts.

Also, the show is packed with primal reminders, most tribes are barefoot and show some seriously huge feet and splayed toes (which is making me come around to the idea of VFF toe-separation) and there's particularly one tribe (I forgot where...) that hunt Monkeys using poisoned arrows, but they have to chase after the monkey since the poison takes time. Their main hunter was speeding through the jungle after a monkey and doing so barefoot, he was just blazing through the jungle without a care. Plenty of fishing, hunting both big and small game, hunting birds.

It also shows some scattered shots of human and nature interacting for a common goal, perhaps my favorite was a pair of boys using a bird to help them locate honey. The bird can smell the honey while the boys cannot and would have a hell of a time just trying to find a bees nest. They'll call out to the bird, who will call back to them and go from tree to tree until the bird is at the three that has the bee's nest. The bird will actually change it's call, making it more high-pitched the closer to honey it gets. It quite literally is nature's "hot/cold" game. Once the boys reach the nest, they start a fire to calm the bees, steal the honey and leave some honey combs behind for the bird, which on its own would not run up on a bees nest to get the honey. The commentator said if the boys don't leave a treat, the next time the bird will lead them to a pride of lions, perhaps just a bit of color, but I'm inclined to believe it seeing how the chase went down.

Every episode is one big high-light and I recommend it to everyone here. I don't recall them going to too much detail into what besides the animals they kill most of these cultures eat, but it's worth it on other levels so make sure to check it out. I think every house should have this in their video library.

Comment

I've watched the first four episodes so far, and each one has something amazing! what did you think of the mussel-hunters in the arctic? my kids and i watched the desert episode together; my eldest expressed gratitude for how easy we have it while we were watching women travel to the well. a friend's husband grew up in tajikistan in yurts, so I pointed out to the kids that's how he grew up (though in the episode, the people were from mongolia). i watched the jungle episode last night and was really grossed out by the spider eating. heh, and my kids whine when i make them cut their own apples.
                          my primal journal:
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                            I've watched the first four episodes so far, and each one has something amazing! what did you think of the mussel-hunters in the arctic? my kids and i watched the desert episode together; my eldest expressed gratitude for how easy we have it while we were watching women travel to the well. a friend's husband grew up in tajikistan in yurts, so I pointed out to the kids that's how he grew up. i watched the jungle episode last night and was really grossed out by the spider eating. heh, and my kids whine when i make them cut their own apples.
                            The mussel-hunters was another painful reminder that the bravest thing I do on a daily basis is maybe running across NYC streets when the traffic signal has the "stop" hand on and wild taxis are approaching, or administer self-inflicting pain by "massaging" the bottom of my feet with a lacrosse ball. You're going to lose your mind when you see the episode where tribes dig for water to irrigate their villages. It ultimately comes down to one man (with the tribe's biggest pair) who has to unite two different tunnels and risks having the entire mud caves collapse in on him.

The spider eating didn't bother me, it's remarkable that this is how some kids spend their afternoons, hunting and eating spiders. It keeps reminding me of this (Stefansson 1 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health.) one of the biggest points in that document is that taste is imposed by culture, and it's really just what we've grown used to. There doesn't seem to be anything inherently "bad tasting." A person that grew up on boiled fish, cold fish and rotten fish finds them all delicious (that's what the Eskimos ate in that link) including the anthropologist that lived with them. European men that had to endure the same originally came around to the idea, but always talked about eating what they used to (sound familiar?) then after a few months that was all gone. We're simply creatures of habit, and driven by hunger we'll eat anything.

The saddest thing is that, at least in America, we think we eat like kings, never having to endure "odd" food, which in actuality is highly nutritious, but just not what we're used to. I'd gladly eat spiders with those kids.

It's a very eye-opening, humbling show. It makes me happy that it was produced, it needs to be seen. My gf is going to salivate when she sees it, she loves stuff like this.
                            Last edited by iniQuity; 11-14-2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I saw this series and Animal Planet. It is wild how some people live!
                              The last one in the human series was a guy flying around in a helicopter documenting people who lived in dense rainforest untouched by civilization. But in order to stop the clearing of the forests he had to prove that they existed without actually going INTO their colonies. Very cool stuff!
                              Start Weight: 265.8
                              Current Weight: 234.4
                              Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X