Primal Beasties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Beasties

I was itching to post a few photos of my primal fed crew with all the discussion on raw diets for pets.....did not want to hijack someone else's thread

I have 4 100% raw fed cats, I have been feeding this way for 8 years.....THEY clued me in on my own diet years ago.

nomming on a turkey leg

gnawing leftover meat off a pork shoulder bone

Helping me make venison breakfast sausage

RAWR....FEED ME

Bayou flinging food as usual....you get over being raw meat squeamish pretty quick

Rabbit noms
    Erin
    Daily Vlogs
    Primal Pets Blog

LOL those cats are so cute! Nice longcat in the 3rd picture aswell ^^
    I'm sure they appreciate being fed properly very much!

Comment

Your cats are gorgeous! Is that a Bengal?

My cats aren't raw yet (except for the scraps I throw them, haha), but they are 100% grain-free. It's funny - I wouldn't have gone primal if it wasn't for my cats either. I have a fat cat (the cream tabby in my avatar) who refuses to lose weight, so I was reading up on what an "evolutionarily appropriate" diet for a cat would be. It gradually occurred to me that humans must have an evolutionarily appropriate diet too!
      The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
        I wouldn't have gone primal if it wasn't for my cats either.
        I had been sick for years, was on tons of meds....and when I converted my pets to raw for one that had IBD, I was flat out amazed at how well all of them did. Energy, health, it was an obvious improvement. At that point I had to stop the denial that my food choices were not effecting my health. Took me quite a few years to dial in the answer, but happy where I am now and have my pets to thank
        Erin
        Daily Vlogs
        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Great photos! They have beautiful coats. Currently I'm feeding my guy, Otto, Wellness wet grain-free food but hoping to transition to a raw diet soon. I want to do it sometime when I won't be traveling much so I can get him adjusted to it. He went on hunger strike for about a month when he transitioned to wet food (he was a dry food junkie) 2 years ago. He would occasionally deign to eat a bit every day or two, but very little, and he dropped quite a bit of weight, which he didn't need to do. He doesn't love the wet food but he eats it now. He refuses most human food other than dairy products. He tries to "cover" meat. I figure it's like a little kid who wants to eat junk food instead of healthy stuff...he may always have a taste for junk!

My problem is my roommate still gives him dry food treats, which he loves, to the point that he sometimes gets me up in the middle of the night in hopes that I will accompany him to Roommate's room for treats. I've told him that Roommate and his girlfriend would not be okay with our coming into the room at 3 AM for treats, but that doesn't stop him from waking me up (stroking my face, biting my cheek, staring at me and breathing on my cheek with his little nose...it's hard to imagine what a pain in the @## he is at night, watching him snooze next to me so peacefully now!)...
          Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Comment

@superdeluxe - Two of my cats are on Wellness grain-free wet food, but the third is just a dry food junkie and won't even touch the wet stuff, or people food that isn't awful for him (he loves oats, crackers, breads, and lettuce). At least has finally transitioned to the Wellness CORE kibble. I really need to just take away the dry stuff, but he goes on hunger strike and starts licking his fur off. I always give up before he does. Sigh.
            The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

I recently just wrote a blog post about this. I found the site www.catinfo.org was really helpful on information for transitioning your cat for wet food only. She also provides how to introduce and make your own raw food diet.

I've also had success with the Wellness Core Grain Free brand as well as Before Grain. One of my cats was a dry food hog and I thought I'd never get her away from it, but she's adjusted nicely. So much healthier and energetic, it's been an amazing change! I'm hoping one day to introduce a raw food, but for now, with their canned food, they get nice meaty scraps and big raw bones to occasionally gnaw on.

http://primalkat.blogspot.com/2011/01/primal-pets.html
              I blog here: http://www.primalkat.blogspot.com/

Comment

Erin, great pics and beautiful kitties!

Comment

Do you feed them organ meats too?
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                    I had been sick for years, was on tons of meds....and when I converted my pets to raw for one that had IBD, I was flat out amazed at how well all of them did. Energy, health, it was an obvious improvement. At that point I had to stop the denial that my food choices were not effecting my health. Took me quite a few years to dial in the answer, but happy where I am now and have my pets to thank
                    I took me some time to realize that also!! I tried ever rationale under the sun to keep eating 'normal' foods, until I realized those normal foods were why I always felt lousy and was forced to carry a bag full of meds with me!

They Are Gorgeous!!! Such glossy, silky coats! Do you feed them only meat? I'd really like to know your feeding plan for them.
                    I learned a valuable lesson with the first steer I sent to slaughter. I should have named him Hamburger and not Snookers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassandra View Post

They Are Gorgeous!!! Such glossy, silky coats! Do you feed them only meat? I'd really like to know your feeding plan for them.
                      I used to feed lots of supplements, did ground meat/bone/organs when I first started to get me over the learning curve. Now I just toss down bits and pieces of their fav foods and don't give it much thought. Folks spout out all these supplements you should give, but I think its been 6 years since I last sprinkled something on their food and I am still waiting for some sign I am doing something wrong...lol. I think variety, organs, and just observing are your best bets. The only thing I do is some fish oil if I have not fed oily fish or much variety outside of chicken for too long.

Here is what I feed in order of frequency:

Cornish game hen, cut into about 6 pieces (they eat every bone on a cornish game hen, they are more expensive, but I its by far our favorite)
                      Pork meat
                      Chicken pieces (legs, wings, thighs....they cannot those bones, usually just the meat)
                      Wild Game from my husbands harvests (pheasant, quail, duck)
                      Turkey thighs
                      Rabbit (ordered from Hare-today.com)
                      Canned oily fish (they all refuse to eat raw fish)
                      Occasionally a quail chick, pinkie mouse, or some odd item I pick up to try

Some cats can handle dark red meats (beef, deer, etc), my crew does not. They erp it back up, so I gave up on that.

On top of the above I try to feed organs a few times a week, whatever I can dig up. Lots of chicken, turkey, and duck hearts as they contain a good source of taurine (they qualify more as a muscle meat then an organ). Lots of liver since it is the largest organ they would probably eat in wild game. After that I try and feed kidney and lungs and whatever else I can dig up (I tend to order bulk organs from hare today). I can get liver and hearts from chicken and turkey at a couple grocery stores, but I do have to hunt around for other items. Hare-today sends whole skinned rabbits cut into pieces.....and all the organs outside of the intestine are still there....the cats LOVE EM...but rabbit is pricey, so I only thaw one about once every two weeks.

Cats are a little harder to feed because you need to find a boney meat they can actually consume. I started off with ground bone in meats from Omas Pride and Bravo Raw diet in the beginnings. Later I converted them to cornish hens as a my main boney food source. You can also use chicken ribs, breastbones, feet, and necks, they are a cheaper option. I would love to feed chicken necks, but I have one cat who refuses to chew them and ends up half choking himself every time. Keep in mind, its all a learning curve. I used to foster kittens and they ate raw like CHAMPS from day one. Older cats will look at you like you have lost your mind the first time you toss down a chicken neck. Learning to gnaw meat off the bone is definitely something that takes time....I did a lot of observing and babysitting when we first started.

To convert, I put everyone on canned food, then started mixing in ground raw, and gradually worked them over. Some converted in a few days, my oldest took a few weeks. I had to cook the meat (no bone) in the beginning, and gradually got her to raw. Also, at first they didn't like much other then chicken and rabbit.....but in time they have really learned to eat a lot. Some like chunks, some prefer ground, cats are very complicated (whats new...lol).

I cannot afford organic or pastured food for the cats, but I do make sure there are no injected salts and such, and I try and get more natural when it is on sale. I do feed wild game, but I freeze it solid for 2 weeks to kill most issues, and I have not fed raw wild rabbit due to some concerns from one parasite that doesn't die when frozen.

Amounts, well, my older less active cats eat about 4-4.6 ounces total in a day and maintain around 10lbs. My super active young bengal eats about 5-5.5 ounces a day and she barely maintains 8lbs. So you will have to fine tune amounts you feed according to your individual crew. Usually folks start out around 2.5 ounces twice a day and then go up or down. In regards to bone/meat ratio....if I feed cornish hen it is perfect as is. If I am feeding other stuff, I watch their stools. They will have dark thin less frequent stools when I feed too little bone. Too much bone and their stools get light tan and fall apart. I was amazed at how much skinnier my cats got in the beginning, but on the flip side you pick them up and they are SOLID muscle. The vet techs always are surprised when they go to hold one of my cats that they thought was 'thin'.

PS....two BIG rules when converting cats to a raw diet:
                      -Never feed a cooked bone! Period, they cannot digest the cooked version (which also means no thawing in microwave)
                      -Never let your cat go more then 24 hours not eating....they can have serious problems with their liver. Tough love unfortunately doesn't work with cats. If you have to supplement with canned, dry, whatever, do it if the cat is not eating.

PPS .....commercial food is like kitty crack. Sometimes you need to get it out of the house to start feeding raw. I put ours on the far side of the garage so I still had some in case of emergency, but far enough away they could not beg and plead and drive me batty for their 'junk food'.

Phew....that was a lot...but gives you an idea
                      Erin
                      Daily Vlogs
                      Primal Pets Blog

Comment

That’s pretty awesome that you guys feed your cats a raw diet.

I don’t own a cat, but will once I move out with my girlfriend. We decided cats are a good pet to have because they require less attention than a dog, or at least don’t seem to show sadness like dogs do when you’re not around them often enough.

My most recent experience with cats and a raw diet was when I spent time with my paternal grandmother in Trujillo, Peru last august. She has about 6 cats that she originally brought into the house to control a mice problem but now the cats just roam the house. They feed them meat prior to cooking it for the humans, but they also got some cooked meats from the kids giving it to them or something like that, or leftover bones.

It was interesting to see them interact, the pecking order, the hissing, it was a lot of fun I filmed some of it to show my gf who feeds her cat prescription food from the vet. It’s an old cat, 16 years old now, so my gf wouldn’t fuss with its diet at this point in time. Poor thing is losing the spring in her rear legs can’t get up on the bed anymore.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to start weening my babies onto the raw diet.
                          BTW, visited your journal. Great hiking pictures!! You are lucky to live there.
                          I learned a valuable lesson with the first steer I sent to slaughter. I should have named him Hamburger and not Snookers.

Comment

So much great info, thanks. I'll see if I can get my hands on some cornish hens when I get back from Primal Con...I think I'd better leave Otto on commercial food while someone else is looking out for him.
                            Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Comment

Originally posted by superdeluxe View Post
                              So much great info, thanks. I'll see if I can get my hands on some cornish hens when I get back from Primal Con...I think I'd better leave Otto on commercial food while someone else is looking out for him.
                              Yea, raw feeding while on vaca is hard when you are not sure what they will eat. Once they are fully converted, I make up snack size baggies full of their favorite pre-measured foods so our petsitter just has to open bag, dump food on a plate, done.

Cornish hens have gone up in price in the last year especially. One grocery store (king soopers/krogers) puts them on super sale at 2 for 5 dollars, and I stock up. Lately they have been putting them more on sale at 2 for 6 dollars. Walmart has them for around 2.50 a lb, bit pricey for every day feeding. If you can find a wholesaler like for restaurant supply, sometimes you can buy them in bulk for a good price.
                              Erin
                              Daily Vlogs
                              Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X