Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you attended a Michael Pollan talk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any of you attended a Michael Pollan talk?

He's speaking in Seattle on Saturday. Worth attending? (He's the guy who wrote the Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food.)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

I've never been to a talk of his, but I like reading his books. I started with "The Botany of Desire", which I loved.

Sure why not, I'd go.

Comment

I saw him speak in Berkeley last year. If you like his books, you'll enjoy his talks. He's an engaging speaker.
      "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't actually read his books (though I did just download the free first 50 pages of two of them onto my Kindle) but I went ahead and bought a ticket anyway.
        Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
        Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I've seen him talk on Book TV. He's a great speaker. I think you'll enjoy hearing him.

Comment

I lost a LOT of respect for him for his support of SB510 but i'd still go see what he has to say. He's a good speaker and makes some good points

Comment

Love his books - I hope you'll let us know how the talk was!

Comment

I lost a LOT of respect for him for his support of SB510
                Maybe I am just ignorant but what is SB510? I generally think Michael Pollan has a lot of good things that he says, I'd be interested in knowing what this is.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                  Maybe I am just ignorant but what is SB510? I generally think Michael Pollan has a lot of good things that he says, I'd be interested in knowing what this is.

Thanks
                  Senate Bill 510 the Food "Safety" Modernization Act.

I agree, Pollan is pretty on about most things he says but not his support of this.

Comment

yeah, the nutshell is that SB510 is corporate driven. safe food is big agra and big seed companies like monsanto. one element of hte bill suggests that people who grow their own gardens can only grow X number of vegetables and fruits, and more than that would qualify them as a farm. should they sell them, then they are a farm. should they give them away, they are a farm. it's *intense*. or it was. not sure how it is doing now. haven't looked at it in a fair bit.

Comment

Just back from the talk. Highly entertaining, and very much the same message as the nutrition part of primal, with the exception of no demonizing of whole grains. Very glad I went!
                      Liz.

Comment

By the way, it struck me that the voices in all of this seem to be exclusively male: Michael Pollan, Gary Taubes, Mark Sisson, Kurt something-or-other (not Cobain...Harris?). Michael Pollan made the comment last night that our society no longer relies on culture to guide eating....and then clarified that when he says "culture" he really means "mom". Scientists have undermined the wisdom of moms over what the right stuff is to eat. So how come we're ONLY hearing from "dad" right now? Are there any female nutritionists/journalists who are equivalent to these dads?
                        Liz.

Comment

Dr. Kurt G Harris (http://www.paleonu.com/) is probably the Kurt you're thinking of.

Don't forget Dr. MD Eades (she writes somewhat less than Dr. Mike, but often has recipes for how to eat low-carb). And Denise Minger (http://rawfoodsos.com/) - my goodness! The quality of her writing knocks my socks off.

EDIT - And Lierre Keith (http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Myt...5194388&sr=1-1)
                          Last edited by Annlee; 01-16-2011, 09:13 AM. Reason: How could I forget Lierre?

Comment

Ah...didn't realize Eades was female! And I've never heard of Lierre Keith but might have assumed she was a man too. Will go read up on them both.

On Facebook, I also got suggestions for Alice Waters and Marion Nestle.
                            Liz.

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                              Ah...didn't realize Eades was female! And I've never heard of Lierre Keith but might have assumed she was a man too. Will go read up on them both.

On Facebook, I also got suggestions for Alice Waters and Marion Nestle.
                              It's Doctors Mary Dan Eades and Michael Eades. They are a wife/husband team and authors of Protein Power.

Oh and there is Nora Gedgaudas, author of Primal Body, Primal Mind.

And let's not forget Sally Fallon, author of Nourishing Traditions and spokesperson for the Weston A. Price Foundation. Her book was my first intro to Primal eating, albeit with well-soaked grains and legumes added.
                              Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-16-2011, 09:39 AM.
                              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Working...
                              X