Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey, i'm in! still no pull-up bar yet, but i'm prodding hubby about it. for now, i'm going to try the door pull-ups.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
      hey, i'm in! still no pull-up bar yet, but i'm prodding hubby about it. for now, i'm going to try the door pull-ups.
      Whatever works. Welcome to the team.

Comment

I went out to the playground on my apartment grounds to get a baseline for the challenge! Ordinarily I would stand on a chair (and for people who are nervous about doing assisted pullups in public -- trust me, nobody really cares! I always ask myself, what's the worst that's going to happen? Someone's going to call the paper? AREA WOMAN SO COMMITTED TO FITNESS SHE DOES A WORKOUT) but the snow is deep enough to stand on by itself! Anyway:

declines -- I fall straight down
        assisted by kneeling and pushing with tops of feet -- felt like I was going to pull something in my abs, really not good
        assisted by crossing legs at ankles and propping up on one heel, resting not pushing -- aha! I can do one and then almost all of another (can't quite clear the bar on the second one without pushing)

Onwards and upwards in 2011!
        My Primal Journal

Comment

Yay, Ellie! That's the spirit!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie G View Post
            assisted by crossing legs at ankles and propping up on one heel, resting not pushing -- aha! I can do one and then almost all of another (can't quite clear the bar on the second one without pushing)

Onwards and upwards in 2011!
            Go Ellie!! Woohoo! Line up the amoeba cheersquad, flourishing their pom-poms: *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.*
            I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'm in!! I think I'll need to lose about 30 pounds to even come close so it might not be until 12/31.

Comment

I'm in too! I've had my pull-up bar for months and have made almost no progress. I haven't touched it in weeks now. Can anyone give me some pointers for starting?

Comment

A couple of ideas - I'm not an expert but Al Kavadlo seems to be MIA this week - you might try to do an assisted variation that you can do 4 or 5 of in a row for a while, because that amount of strain is less likely to injure you and so that you can get in your "volume". That might just be 5 reps of 30 seconds of hanging with your shoulders tucked back for a while.
                  Also, if you can get a hold of some gymnastics rings, you can do inverted rows at various degrees of difficulty that work most of the same muscles. Everyone can do some version of an inverted row.
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I don't think you even need gymnastics rings - two leather belts fastened around the pullup bar ought to work.

Comment

I can do a decline pullup fairly slowly until I get to near the bottom, where I'm relying mostly on my shoulders. At that point, I fall like a brick. Which explains why I can do the majority of a pull up if I can elevate myself enough to get past that point.
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

Hey, thanks for coming to find me! I'm very excited to get on board with this, and super excited to do my first pull up

Comment

Count me in! This was already at the top of my fitness goals for this year.

I can do several assisted pull ups, but not even half of one unassisted. I use a band at the gym, a chair at home.
                          I am Cavewoman, hear me GRUNT!
                          http://horndivaxtal.blogspot.com/

Comment

negatives are also a great way to go. just be sure that your stepstool can put you up high enough to be at the top, and the lower yourself down *slowly*. in fact, as slowly as you can is a good idea.

Comment

Okey doke, I'm in! We hadn't put up our pullup bar at this house yet because somehow in the move the brackets got lost. So hubs is going to buy me a new one tomorrow and put it up for me!

I'm going to add it into my workouts next week... starting with the negative ones. I'd LOVE to be able to do them!!
                              sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

I'm gonna try the leather belts!
                                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                                -John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                                X