Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annika View Post
    I don't qualify because I can do one, and sometimes two, unassisted chinups. But I wanted to chime in and say that a year ago I never would have guessed I would ever be able to do one. I used resistance bands, which in my opinion are SO much better than supporting part of your weight on a chair, which is how I was trying to do them initially. I was totally surprised when I did my first chinup without a band, and was hollering "Look at me! Look at me!" to my husband like I was a little kid. Yeah, I was a little excited. You guys/gals will feel so awesome when you get your chin over the bar without any help!
    Thank you so much for this story. You give us hope. It can and will be done.

Robin

Comment

I'm in. I worked up to real pushups in 2010, why not real pull ups in 2011?
      The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

I'm in all the way. Good idea on the top of the foot. I may try that tomorrow.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

I just about skipped over this thread when I saw the title since I can't yet do a full pullup. For once, I didn't avoid that which scares me. I feel a surge of Grokette fearlessness! Yay me!

OK, since pullups are on my 2011 list - I'm in!

Comment

I'm in.

I just got a pull up bar.

I can do 8 one leg assisted pull ups.
            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
            "Moderation sucks." Suse
            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

Well, women's abdominals are built so differently then mens, which is what makes this such a challenge. This is why they are no longer a requirement for basic training.
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

WOW 84 people so far! (I was hoping for a dozen maybe.) WOOT

Paleobird
                Roberta
                Ellie G
                lil_earthmomma
                jacsuza
                theholla
                naiadnight
                miss fluffypants
                winencandy
                Jen AlcesAlces
                Girl Scout
                Sigi
                Dender
                spughy
                MJinLV
                melodious
                splunky
                Nik
                nomorefatandfrumpy
                SarahByDesign
                Jenny
                abqgirl
                Saoirse
                el_barto
                katydid317
                redhead
                DagnyT
                Minxxa
                Pebles67
                NourishedEm
                profdjj
                Noctiluca
                Herbwifemama
                isaboblue
                Elwyne
                frances
                angorarabbit
                otamstad
                beastman
                Meg-a-Tron
                jrherring
                Aila
                labbygail
                kandc88
                runningwild
                Millie Ivy
                Eklecktika
                Mandolin
                TigerLily
                geostump
                Hil
                inquisitiveon
                Twibble
                slacker
                Primalvore
                DanC
                bix
                Dagny
                AnarchGrok
                Jac
                HeyChelle
                runnergal
                CKATTO71
                fauxbourdon3
                Carolyn (Iniquity's GF)
                lolov
                WinkBlu
                RobyRey
                OperaDivaMom
                Kaylee99
                a_phoenix
                Esperance
                Ciavyn
                Mirrorball
                quelsen
                primaLeaf
                Linsey
                prib81
                Dragonfly
                Sarah 1990
                Harp32Wil
                TobelikeGroketta
                Bananabonobo
                LizardGurl
                Last edited by Paleobird; 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM. Reason: still more recruits

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                  Well, women's abdominals are built so differently then mens, which is what makes this such a challenge. This is why they are no longer a requirement for basic training.
                  Yeah, our whole center of gravity is lower. I didn't know that they were no longer required in basic training. I guess it would cut out too many potential recruits if they insisted on it.

Comment

I'm in too! I don't have a pull up bar, but somehow my boyfriend does pull-ups on the bathroom door. So I'll use that and the neighborhood playground.
                    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I'm in !
                      Hubby bought me a pull-up bar for christmas, so no excuses...

Comment

Originally posted by girl scout View Post
                        I'm in !
                        Hubby bought me a pull-up bar for christmas, so no excuses...
                        That guy is a keeper!

Comment

I'm in too!

Now just have to get myself a pull-up bar to install at home. Thought about practising on monkey-bars in the local playground, but (a) there are almost always some kids there, and (b) I can live without the curious looks and pointing and "Mummy, what's that funny lady doing over there?".....

Has anybody tried using one of these kinds of bars, and are they really secure?
                          http://www.taller.com.au/gym-equipme...ble-chinup-bar
                          http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Chin-Up-Bar.../dp/B000TZPN2G
                          I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

See if you ladies can find any OLD resources/books on women and pull-ups. I was just reading through a book on fitness written in the 1940s and the coolest thing about it was every time they showed pictures of males or females they always described something physical they could do, meaning it wasn't just a picture of a fit female for rocks-off sake, but it would say "(girl's name) could do 15 chins, etc" I'll try to find it, it didn't detail how they got there, and you can tell they weren't sticks.

If you put in the time, the pull-ups will come. My gf who has not at all been consistent can hold herself at the " L " and is progressing that way. Work your negatives, work them hard! trying to get positive reps will be much easier once you can do SLOW negatives.

Negative: Jump up to the bar, hold with your chin over the bar, try to lower yourself as slowly and controlled as possible. You will go from wobbly mess to controlled negative in a few weeks time. Eventually do it for reps and start stopping yourself at various points of the negative. Once you're strong at that, stop halfway through the rep and try to pull yourself up. Consider working on chin ups first (palms facing you) as they'll build your biceps along with your back more directly than pull ups will, but practice both daily! daily practice is key. Good luck to you all, I'll be watching...

This video explains that pretty well:

Take aways:

- practice daily, and several times a day if you're "fresh" (no muscle fatigue)
                            - don't work to failure, though I'd argue that the assisted ones she did at the end sort of qualify as pushing failure, but that's really not too big a deal. Once in a while really "punish" the muscle, but most of the time keep it fresh.

Edit: Males have the advantage of testosterone, we will achieve pull ups faster than females. I think it's best to keep this female-only so that it's a level playing field. Us males can make our own challenge, but I can do quite a few already so I can't play
                            Last edited by iniQuity; 01-07-2011, 05:58 AM.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I definitely recommend checking out Al Kavadlo's inspirational and informative pullup videos over on his site!
                              I can't do a single full one yet but can do several Australian pullups in a variety of forms.
                              My personal goal for...some time in 2011...is to be able to do 6 full, good form pullups or kips or neutrals or whatever.
                              No need to include me on the list - I like iniQuity's idea of having a separate one for guys.
                              Good luck ladies!!
                              Last edited by carlh; 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM.
                              carl's cave

Comment

I'm in as well.

I'm still doing pull-ups with two legs assisting but have noticed how much the strength in my arms has increased over the past 10 days. Definite progress and I know that I will keep pushing it

Comment

Working...
                                X