Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried the lesser strength woody band out today with fresh arms and I was able to do a grand total of 1 each, CU/PU. After that I would have to put my foot on the stool which is just trading one kind of boost for another so I switched back to the stronger band and did a full set of 20 each. I think I will continue doing mixed sets like this, doing as many as I can with the lighter band first , then finishing up with the other one until I can do the whole 20 with the lighter one.
    Maybe this way I can work on both endurance and strength at the same time.

Comment

• Sounds like a great plan, Paleobird. You're way ahead of me -- I still can't do a full one even with the two strongest bands combined! I may have to toss the lighter band on as yet another boost and see if that makes up the difference.
      "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Carolyn and IniQuity - thank you! Great job Carolyn.

I need to find a band to use. Right now I can do 8 assisted pull-ups (really assisted, I'm sure. Using both legs.) and I can hang for 5 seconds only. I tried a jumping chin-up and just banged my shoulders on the bars that stick out. Now I have little bruises there.

My 8yo daughter asked to try so I boosted her up and she cranked out 3 perfect pull-ups like it was nothing. argh! Way to show mommy up girl. Good job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
          Sounds like a great plan, Paleobird. You're way ahead of me -- I still can't do a full one even with the two strongest bands combined! I may have to toss the lighter band on as yet another boost and see if that makes up the difference.
          It doesn't matter where you start as long as you are making progress.

How wide are the bands you are using? Iron Woody does make one extra strong one. It came with the set I ordered but I couldn't use it because I wasn't heavy enough to make it stretch all the way so my arms were straight. I sent this extra one down under to Em, a fellow Amazonian height woman with a few more pounds than I'm carrying because there was no point in it getting dusty around here when one of the team could be using it. Take a look at Woody's catalogue. They might have something that would work for you.

Comment

• Well, today I managed to do 2 CU and 2 CU with the lesser strength band. So I took 2 off of each set after that with the strong band. So I did 4 sets of 18 instead of 20s, 2 sets CU/2 sets PU.

Comment

• You are my hero Robin
              My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                You are my hero Robin
                Hi Em, They said 1-2 weeks on the shipping for the band to get to you so hopefully next week you will start banging them out too. It really does help to be swinging as freely as possible (i.e. no foot on the chair). I think it helps get your abs into the action more.

Comment

• YES i managed a pull up... delighted is not the word. thanks to iniQuity for all the tips

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Well, today I managed to do 2 CU and 2 CU with the lesser strength band. So I took 2 off of each set after that with the strong band. So I did 4 sets of 18 instead of 20s, 2 sets CU/2 sets PU.
                    are you taking days off or anything? gotta let the muscles rest to recover/grow etc... you're definitely getting stronger but mayyybe not getting enough rest to see the full benefits, do you feel fresh every time you work out? soreness or anything? You're getting conditioned too though so it's hard to say whether you need that rest or not. I think you would if you were doing ONLY the 2 "harder" CU/PU but since you're combining both maybe an every-other-day workout schedule would be best...

I couldn't do heavy chins everyday is what I'm saying, but I could do regular chins every day.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• I just got the "perfect Pull-up" bar. I'm glad I looked at the suggestions on this thread before shopping for a bar. This one looks perfect for a girl to get started.

http://www.perfectonline.com/scripts...t_Pullup_Basic

I got mine at walmart for $29.00
                      Last edited by CKATTO71; 03-16-2011, 06:32 AM.
                      My Journal
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by runningwild View Post
                        YES i managed a pull up... delighted is not the word. thanks to iniQuity for all the tips
                        Congratulations!
                        “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

• Originally posted by CKATTO71 View Post
                          I just got the "perfect Pull-up" bar. I'm glad I looked at the suggestions on this thread before shopping for a bar. This one looks perfect for a girl to get started.

Perfect PULLUP Basic Perfect Fitness - Makers of the Perfect Pushup, Perfect Pullup and Perfect Situp

I got mine at walmart for $29.00
                          That's what I got. I made a lower bar for it by going to Home Depot with some rope and pvc pipe.
                          Georgette

Comment

• Congrats, runningwild!
                            My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              It doesn't matter where you start as long as you are making progress.
                              Thank you!
                              Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              How wide are the bands you are using? Iron Woody does make one extra strong one.
                              Just got the Assisted Pull-up Package -- I guess you mean the mega purple one from the Deluxe package?

Still haven't tried the combo of all three bands... we'll see how it goes!

And yes, congratulations runningwild! Paleobird, you should keep a list of successes along with the sign-up list so we know who's managed it so far. (or is that mean to those of us who haven't?)
                              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by runningwild View Post
                                YES i managed a pull up... delighted is not the word. thanks to iniQuity for all the tips
                                YAY YOU!

Let's start a separate list here. When anybody makes it all the way over the bar, let me know and I'll add your name.

runningwild
                                el_bart
                                Dragonfly
                                a_phoenix
                                inquisitiveone
                                SarahByDesign
                                Last edited by Paleobird; 11-15-2011, 07:44 PM. Reason: more success stories

Comment

Working...
                                X