Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Twibble View Post
    Paleobird, I can't remember if I said I was going to be in. I'm planning on trying!
    Hi Twibbs
    I just added you to the list. You are # 53. Welcome.

@ inquisitiveone The expression "don't train to failure" as I understand it means don't push it so hard on any one workout that your muscles just give up and collapse. You want your muscles to be pushed to perform but not injured.

Comment

• Thank you, Paleobird! I'm off to do some more pullup work.
      “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

• 16 each one leg pullups and chins! got 10 knee pushups too, 7 on the second round. I'm up to level 2 on all my movements, 4 on squats. yay!
        28 yrs, 5'8.5"
        started primal 1/23/11 @ 143 lbs, couldn't do a knee pushup
        3/13/11 138 lbs, 30 knee pushups, yeah!

Comment

• I have been hitting the pull up bar with-in the last month and it just seems
          like the gains are really slow. I even lost 30 lbs. and no gain to reps. I can
          only do 8, 6, 4, 3 with 30 sec rest between. My gains have stopped. And
          I have to do them with palms facing me because the other way irritates
          my damaged rotater cuff.

Is there any physical explanation why women have a hard time doing these?
          Just curious. Because I've seen women squat and dead lift tremendous weight.

Comment

• Strength to weight ratio is generally higher in adult males, and ratio of strength in upper body to total body wt is much higher in men. You might as well have asked, "Why do they call them 'broads'?"

It is the same reason that the racing bike geometry is so much harder on women. Women of stereotypical build work harder than men of stereotypical build in that position. When men bend over and get their shoulders lower than their hips, they are lowering their center of gravity, a recipe for greater stability and less work. When women bend over and get their shoulders lower than their hips, they are raising their center of gravity, a recipe for less mechanical stability, which has to be compensated for with the work of reflexes and muscular strength. That extra effort just costs.

Put on a 20 lb diving belt and do your pull ups. Tell us how it goes.

BTW, I'm in on this. I could just as well do a pull up as fly right now, but I've started some preliminaries.

Comment

• Originally posted by slacker View Post
              Put on a 20 lb diving belt and do your pull ups. Tell us how it goes.
              I'm having troubles with gains and obviously low & fast declining reps between sets, and you want me
              to add weight???

Comment

• Originally posted by slacker View Post
                BTW, I'm in on this. I could just as well do a pull up as fly right now, but I've started some preliminaries.
                Excellent. Welcome to the team. You are #54

Comment

• Ooh I'm in! I've been using a Superband for a bit now, but am committed to working my way to crankin' em out all by myself

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
                  ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
                  My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
                  Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Comment

• Originally posted by Primalvore View Post
                    Ooh I'm in! I've been using a Superband for a bit now, but am committed to working my way to crankin' em out all by myself
                    Yay! I like committed people. Welcome to the team, #55.

Comment

• I couldnt even do these when I was young, but count me in, maybe this is the year.

Comment

• Excellent. You are #56.

Comment

• Wow. It is so cool that there's so many of us working toward this goal!
                          “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

• Question: I think people have talked about a $20 pull-up bar from Gold's Gym that they like. I can't find it. Am I mis-remembering, or is my google-fu failing me?
                            Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• I got one from Canadian Tire that was $25 but I suppose that probably doesn't help you much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                                Question: I think people have talked about a $20 pull-up bar from Gold's Gym that they like. I can't find it. Am I mis-remembering, or is my google-fu failing me?
                                I got mine at Walmart, you can probably find it at any sporting good store though.

My gf is progressing too! She’s not on the forums (gladly, I say a lot of dumb shit around here) but she showed me her progress on negatives and I’m quite impressed! She has slow and controlled descends but the upward pull up is still elusive.

I’m buying her a pull-up bar, the one I’m using was originally supposed to be for her actually, but this way she can work at her own place and not just at mine.
                                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X