Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also practice in my jams Oh, and to update...I can do 1 unassisted chin-up, but only first thing in the morning. After that, I gotta give myself a boost Weird, right?
    Results Pics:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
      I'm arriving late to the party, but count me in!

I will practice in my jammie pants .... like iniQuity.

I'm nursing a shoulder injury that even reaching into a cupboard exacerbates, so it'll be a while before I can really focus on this. Fortunately, I've got until 12/31/11.

I can do Australian pull-ups, but not the more standard type.
      Welcome TigerLily. You are #49. Go easy on that shoulder until you are ready.

Comment

• I tried one earlier today at the park. Yes, I said park. It's thawing out in OH!!!!! Didn't make it so I am definitely in.
        Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
          I tried one earlier today at the park. Yes, I said park. It's thawing out in OH!!!!! Didn't make it so I am definitely in.
          Yay Georgette! Glad you could join us. You are #50. Wow 50! I never thought there would be so many.

Comment

• me too me too! i know i'm way late to the party. I did 1 leg 15 pullups and 13 chins my last workout. when i tried to do a real pullup, i moved maybe an inch or two :P Haven't tried negatives yet, will do once my one legs are dialed in. Was there a pushup challenge at one point? I'm actually more boned to get some real pushups going but i'm game for pullups too.
            28 yrs, 5'8.5"
            started primal 1/23/11 @ 143 lbs, couldn't do a knee pushup
            3/13/11 138 lbs, 30 knee pushups, yeah!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hil View Post
              me too me too! i know i'm way late to the party. I did 1 leg 15 pullups and 13 chins my last workout. when i tried to do a real pullup, i moved maybe an inch or two :P Haven't tried negatives yet, will do once my one legs are dialed in. Was there a pushup challenge at one point? I'm actually more boned to get some real pushups going but i'm game for pullups too.
              Better late than never. Welcome, Hil. There may have been a push up challenge but if there was it was before I got here. I'm working on those too. It feels like the muscles being built in each one are helping out doing the other as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by omen
                Last time I tried doing pullups I was rewarded with a couple of years of shoulder tendinitis that lingers to this day.
                So...........does that mean you are in to try it again or just came by to discourage others from trying?

Comment

• sounds like everyone is progressing nicely.

i changed up my routine for some yoga stuff. one-arm chins are on the back burner, but we are getting there. progress in other areas, though.

Comment

• Okay, finally got started. I set up the bar with the large and medium Woody Band together -- between my weight and my noodly-weak arms right now, I really do need that much assistance. Wow.

I just did a couple of chin-ups like that to confirm that's the tension level I need. I'll try a "real" set soon and see how that goes.

I can definitely see how the Woody Bands are a great approach to lending pull-up assistance:
                    1) It's consistent and there's no judgement call about how much help you had, like there would be with a chair/leg assist. So it'll be easy to judge my progress.
                    2) The amount of help transitions smoothly -- more when you're at the bottom, less at the top. Somehow I imagine the "less at the top" is the part that will ultimately help me build up.
                    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• jenny:

didn't you have a baby recently? rock on!

my recommendation would be to focus on your "core" (pelvic floor, transverse abdominal muscles) when doing this, since your body is probably still trying to recover there. just take your attention to your belly (belly button toward spine) while you are going. it will help you progress in a more balanced way. sometimes folks -- and particularly post pregnancy moms -- will "push out" the belly unconsciously, which makes not only makes the movement more difficult, but can create a strange shape to the belly that is difficult to repair later.

use as many bands as you need, and don't worry about the arms so much. it's mostly abs and back anyway.

Comment

• Hey guys, sorry I'm kinda late with this one. Put another quick video together, it addresses:

- hand placement // difference between chin ups and pull ups
                        - how to use elastic bands (is this the same as woody bands?) and pvc pipe to fashion a pull up bar as Paleobird suggested
                        - one arm elastic band work, I personally found it to be too easy with two hands and I believe you guys might find it too easy as well.

Don't forget to mix the grip like Jenny said, one palm can face you and the other can face away from you, you can even just hang this way and get your hands used to the weight.

and that's it. I have a lot of fun making these, this was just one straight take and the camera work is beyond lame so just bear with, at least it's not as dark as the one before.

Also, I'm totally being a little silly on this one, and I hope nobody finds it offensive, I don't really think it is but you never know...

Any questions or clarifications just ask. I just realized that coming up with a "how to start" video is easily found on the web so just use the PBF for that, I might still make one in the future. Hope this helps.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• iniquity, that video says it's private. I think you're awesome for posting these btw
                          28 yrs, 5'8.5"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hil View Post
                            iniquity, that video says it's private. I think you're awesome for posting these btw
                            I thought it would still play, but I changed the setting, thanks and IniQuity is all about the ladies so don't thank me, thank yourselves.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• Cool. I like the jerry-rigged band bar. I will probably have to stick with my ax handle on shelf brackets jobbie that i have for now, which is fine. If i ever have your ease with pullups iniquity, i will be quite the badass chica.
                              THE GOAL - ONE PUSHUP AND ONE PULLUP and then the world is mine
                              28 yrs, 5'8.5"

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                                didn't you have a baby recently? rock on!
                                Yep, she's two months old now! Thanks. I'm still dealing with a busted-open incision, but the doc said I could exercise so... okaaay... heheh.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                                my recommendation would be to focus on your "core"
                                Thanks for all the advice! I'm doing other exercises for my core too. (planks etc.)

Yeah iniQuity, woody bands are elastic bands. I can't watch that right right now but I definitely will watch with Optimus later tonight. Thank you in advance for the vid!
                                "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Working...
                                X