Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    Since we have been castigated for being sexist and also you don't have a picture or a gender specific handle, I feel the need to ask. You are female right?
    Just trying to see if the pulls vs chins being easier is just a "guy thing".
    Yeah - there are pictures of me in my journal thread - I'll dig it up in a bit when I can get my child to stop yelling at me. honest, i'm a girl!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
      Not that I can do either, but I suck slightly less at chins
      +1...if I'm 1/2 way up, I can pull myself the rest of the way with chins...not so much on pull-ups :/
      Results Pics:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

      Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

      Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

      iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

      Comment


      • Ok. Three female votes (yes we believe you spughy) for chins being easier than pulls. I guess it's not just a guy thing.

        Comment


        • Way back on page 2 of this thread there was a guy named lojasmo who was talking about using the top of the foot instead of the bottom to give you an assisted lift up without being TOO assisted. Now I am finally seeing what he meant. As I'm doing my Woody Band pull ups, the last few in each set get really tough but if I just put the top of my big toe back onto the step stool, it gives a little stability without being able to take much weight, and so I can get through the set.

          I just wanted to say thanks to lojasmo for that tip in case he is still following out progress.

          Comment


          • i definitely find chin ups easier, although still not easy!!

            Comment


            • Just checking in:

              Chin ups: I top out at three.

              Bonafide Pullups: I can do one-but can only get up as high as my nose over the bar. That's with hands set slightly wider than my shoulders (iow thumbs are slightly outside my delts). Getting higher every day.

              Is that where they're supposed to be?
              Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

              ~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

              Comment


              • For those who can do chin-ups but not pull-ups, maybe you could use an alternating grip as an intermediate step -- one overhand grip, one underhand grip. Start with your dominant arm underhand and then swap.
                "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                  For those who can do chin-ups but not pull-ups, maybe you could use an alternating grip as an intermediate step -- one overhand grip, one underhand grip. Start with your dominant arm underhand and then swap.
                  This!

                  Also, chin ups are easier because your wrist and hand placement prompts for more bicep recruitment when doing the movement. However, that doesn’t mean a pull up is superior, it just uses slightly different muscles, and slightly less bicep, more forearm, little things really.

                  Paleobird has a great idea of using resistance bands backwards, I’m going to have my gf try that, she’s got decent negatives but I think that can really help to develop the muscles. I think if you place the bands over the bar like I used the towel in the video I posted in this thread you could maybe kneel down and pull the bands down. You could probably also put a broom stick or something through the handles so that it more closely resembles a bar (so that it’s more of an even movement, as we all tend to be stronger in our dominant side)

                  I can shoot another video of that, if it would help? What say you ladies of MDA? Maybe a “how to get your first pull up” video is in order…
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    This!

                    Also, chin ups are easier because your wrist and hand placement prompts for more bicep recruitment when doing the movement. However, that doesn’t mean a pull up is superior, it just uses slightly different muscles, and slightly less bicep, more forearm, little things really.

                    Paleobird has a great idea of using resistance bands backwards, I’m going to have my gf try that, she’s got decent negatives but I think that can really help to develop the muscles. I think if you place the bands over the bar like I used the towel in the video I posted in this thread you could maybe kneel down and pull the bands down. You could probably also put a broom stick or something through the handles so that it more closely resembles a bar (so that it’s more of an even movement, as we all tend to be stronger in our dominant side)

                    I can shoot another video of that, if it would help? What say you ladies of MDA? Maybe a “how to get your first pull up” video is in order…
                    Yes please iniQuity!
                    The more I see the less I know for sure.
                    -John Lennon

                    Comment


                    • I don't even know the difference between a pull-up and a chin-up, so yes, video would probably help.

                      I should go you-tubing later on.
                      Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

                      If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

                      Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                        I don't even know the difference between a pull-up and a chin-up, so yes, video would probably help.

                        I should go you-tubing later on.

                        Check out PBF fitness e-book. There's a video link of a pull-up in there.

                        I'm pretty sure I will be in for the challenge. I will find out for certain tomorrow.
                        Georgette

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                          This!

                          Also, chin ups are easier because your wrist and hand placement prompts for more bicep recruitment when doing the movement. However, that doesn’t mean a pull up is superior, it just uses slightly different muscles, and slightly less bicep, more forearm, little things really.

                          Paleobird has a great idea of using resistance bands backwards, I’m going to have my gf try that, she’s got decent negatives but I think that can really help to develop the muscles. I think if you place the bands over the bar like I used the towel in the video I posted in this thread you could maybe kneel down and pull the bands down. You could probably also put a broom stick or something through the handles so that it more closely resembles a bar (so that it’s more of an even movement, as we all tend to be stronger in our dominant side)

                          I can shoot another video of that, if it would help? What say you ladies of MDA? Maybe a “how to get your first pull up” video is in order…
                          That would be awesome iniQuity.
                          Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

                          ~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                            Paleobird has a great idea of using resistance bands backwards, I’m going to have my gf try that, she’s got decent negatives but I think that can really help to develop the muscles. I think if you place the bands over the bar like I used the towel in the video I posted in this thread you could maybe kneel down and pull the bands down. You could probably also put a broom stick or something through the handles so that it more closely resembles a bar (so that it’s more of an even movement, as we all tend to be stronger in our dominant side)

                            I can shoot another video of that, if it would help? What say you ladies of MDA? Maybe a “how to get your first pull up” video is in order…
                            I used a piece of PVC pipe but a sturdy broomstick would work too. Your videos are always appreciated.

                            Comment


                            • iniQuity is our Jedi pullup master. I've seen his vids before, looking forward to instructionifications!
                              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

                              Comment


                              • I'm arriving late to the party, but count me in!

                                I will practice in my jammie pants .... like iniQuity.

                                I'm nursing a shoulder injury that even reaching into a cupboard exacerbates, so it'll be a while before I can really focus on this. Fortunately, I've got until 12/31/11.

                                I can do Australian pull-ups, but not the more standard type.
                                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X