Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earthing / Grounding - Snake Oil or is there something to it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthing / Grounding - Snake Oil or is there something to it?

On Marks recent post on relaxation someone commented and linked to a site on "earthing".

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/15-wa...comment-697147

So my first thought was "Rubbish!" (very sorry DBeee! but I don't know who you are, and there seem to be no other comments from you previously).

Which is probably a healthy reaction as long as you then follow up to ensure you're right...

And poking-around online, there is indeed some reasonable looking research and a lot of noise about this being "for real". See this for example:

http://www.groundology.com/scientific_research.php

It has a certain logic to it but I'm wondering if anyone here has come across any better information or has any personal experience of it?

Sounds like nonsense to me.

Comment

Yes thanks - sounded like it to me too but as I asked - does anyone know if it actually is nonsense or not?

Anyone with any experience of it or knowledge that might back it up or invalidate it?

Comment

Well, all I can say is that I feel better when I've had a chance to walk around barefoot in the grass. I've never heard of this being an actual "thing" before, but I do think all the currents, transmissions, & etc flowing through the air can't be good. People used to think meditation & yoga was all new-age nonsense, but we've come a long way from that.
        And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
        Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

I can easily get behind the psychological benefits of walking barefoot, but that stuff looks like pure grokplop to me.
          carl's cave

Comment

And to me - hence the title.

But does anyone have any knowledge to add to this perhaps?

Comment

As an electrician I can tell you every time you use a tap, or touch a metallic appliance case, you are (Or should be) electrically 'earthed'.

The electrical potential between you and the general mass of earth at that point, is 0 volts.

Any difference between you and earth would be reduced to 0 at the speed of electricity; think of the speed and sensation of both static and current electric shocks!

Comment

Exactly, so a shower should do the trick nicely.

Some evidence then on the "It's snake oil" side!

However (to play devil's advocate) it's the slightly longer term application (say overnight) that may make the difference perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                  As an electrician I can tell you every time you use a tap, or touch a metallic appliance case, you are (Or should be) electrically 'earthed'.

The electrical potential between you and the general mass of earth at that point, is 0 volts.

Any difference between you and earth would be reduced to 0 at the speed of electricity; think of the speed and sensation of both static and current electric shocks!
                  As a former electrician, you beat me to it. lol

Walking around barefoot on the grass does feel freakin' GREAT! Although I doubt it has anything to do with magical energies floating around...

Comment

THAT sounds like a load of hogwash. I thought you were referring to another version of grounding, which I can safely say does work. Different people call it different things: centering, grounding, clearing.... Essentially, it's releasing stress and anxiety, calming down, and coming back to the present moment. It was something I picked up back in my HS Wiccan explorations and I liked. It's a method to clear your head and fend off any nastiness or panic attacks. It works well for me.
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by RedYeti View Post
                      However (to play devil's advocate) it's the slightly longer term application (say overnight) that may make the difference perhaps?
                      Perhaps. Personally I think it's a lot more to do with:

Originally posted by jspradley View Post
                      Walking around barefoot on the grass does feel freakin' GREAT!
                      Being outside in nature feels good shock story. Wait, how do we sell THAT???

Comment

@naiadknight:

Yes this is the definite, physical thing relating to electrical potential

Which, you'd think, would make it very amenable to testing. Meaning we'd have some evidence...
                        Last edited by RedYeti; 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM. Reason: Someone posted already!

Comment

The worst part is, I wish I'd thought of it first.

People will lap this shit up.

Maybe I should come up with a way of using my insulation resistance tester holistically.

500V across the nipples will cure cancer!

Comment

@chronyx:

Selling technical looking things that are completely safe and that may have some "health benefit" isn't so hard either of course.

But to play devil's advocate once again - the general public thinks saturated fat is bad, whole grain wheat is good and, the more informed, that 400iu of vitamin D3 will keep you healthy so, who are we to dismiss the earthing thing without good evidence?

Just could do with some good evidence

Comment

@chronyx:

I'm cured doc! I'm cured! Just let me go!!

Comment

Working...
                              X