Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropicana has made a monster.

http://www.packagingdigest.com/artic...able_pouch.php

Soon we can have all the HFCS without all the annoying fruit flavor!
    Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

WTF is wrong with a real piece of fruit?!? Honestly, how is an apple less handy than that, or an orange, or a pear? My niece and nephew love fresh fruit and veggies, and real meat, because thats what they are fed. They eat until they aren't hungry, then they get down from the table and other than the occasional snack, don't eat again until their next meal. Guess what - they are hungry again, and eat their real food, not this processed garbage. At 3 and 5, they are miles ahead of kids their age when it comes to nutrition these days.

I feel bad for kids these days, they are fed so much garbage in the name of convenience, when really its not about their convenience, its about their parents laziness and unwillingness to prepare them decent food.
      Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

It's ALL ABOUT MONEY !

Real fruit does not make any money for Pepsico, doctors & drug companies.

Corporate Greed: Squeeze ever more money out of the sheeple...

Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
          It's ALL ABOUT MONEY !
          That generally how business works. Last time I checked Pepsi wasn't a non-profit, and even they need to spend money to run their organizations.

Comment

My mom eats fruit snacks..."but this one has real fruit juice in the middle!" she defended to me on my last visit. Mom, that doesn't count. Just because a dozen chicken wings are delicious it doesn't mean I'll eat them if they're encased in bear shit.
            carl's cave

Comment

OMG no wonder the little brats are all so tubby!!
              "Here suck on this sugar syrup so Mommy can watch her stories"
              If Someone was following in your footsteps, where would you be leading them?

Comment

As a mom these foods do have their place. I'm an obsessive label reader, so what I buy does tend to be all natural. I also make apple and banana chips and leathers at home so they have that as well to take to school.

But I can tell you that taking a banana to school? Yeah, doesn't work at all. It gets bruised and she refuses to eat it.

I can't send my 7yo with a whole apple as she can't take proper bites for whatever reason. If I cut it, it goes brown, and she doesn't like the taste of the lemon that stops the oxidation of the apple. Those squeeze packs are are also pretty handy on road trips, they are all natural, at least the ones that I buy are. I also buy fruit snacks that are all natural.

It's the 80/20 thing right? It's not ideal, but its better than the spiderman fruit snacks or roll ups.

This morning I packed for her:

Yogurt
                Salmon Cake
                3 slices kielbassa
                1 pepperoni stick
                celery sticks & cream cheese
                Apple chips
                Raisins

Here we are very limited on what I can send already because of allergies, I'm sure her teacher thinks I'm weird already because I don't send sandwhiches or alphaghetti which seems to be the norm.
                SW: 235
                CW:220
                Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Originally posted by MollyCat View Post
                  OMG no wonder the little brats are all so tubby!!
                  "Here suck on this sugar syrup so Mommy can watch her stories"
                  Ouch. Assumptions, much? The product is horrific, let's focus on that.

Robin's Roost
                  My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by elorajade View Post
                    I can't send my 7yo with a whole apple as she can't take proper bites for whatever reason. If I cut it, it goes brown, and she doesn't like the taste of the lemon that stops the oxidation of the apple.
                    Try orange juice, it works just as well and gives it a sweet taste as opposed to the bitter lemon taste.

Comment

I liked Penny Arcade's take on the whole situation: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/1/3/

Indignant that marketers are attempting to a) create the terms "snackify" and "drinkify" and b) then find a group looking for said "snackified" drinks/"drinkified" snacks - which, near as I can tell, is some sort of gimmicky way to say "we put apple sauce in a pouch, extreme! Buy it, bitches!"
                      "Fry cracked corn, and I don't care. Leela cracked corn, I still don't care. Bender cracked corn, and he is great! Take that you stupid corn." - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Comment

It does say there is no added sugar or HFCS.

But of course JUST EAT A FREAKIN PIECE OF FRUIT!!!!!

Comment

Like monsters.

Need moar of them.

Comment

Squeezy pack applesauces. I can't remember the brand I buy, but I know its low sugar, organic and certified hippy-happy. It sure makes my life a lot easier than stupid applesauce cups. It looks like Tropicana ripped off the idea from the product I've been buying and packaged that crappy colored/flavored psycho-sauce in it. What a pity, although maybe the competition will mean I won't be paying $4 a 4-pack for the brand I already buy. Although if I were a spectacular parent intstead of just a fantastic one, I would take the homemade applesauce package it into backpacking squeeze-tubes and "gently remind" (nag the hell out of) my kids I want the containers back. Or, you know, I could continue to occasionally contribute to the landfill by buying prepacked applesauce-on-the-go and throwing it at the kids as we drive to dance class...

I have 2 kids that are missing most of their front teeth right now. Apples are best served at home when they can be sliced and eaten over the course of hours. It takes a long time to eat an apple when you don't have a lot of teeth.
                            Last edited by BethanyK; 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM. Reason: horrific spelling

Comment

Originally posted by jesbelle View Post
                              I liked Penny Arcade's take on the whole situation: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/1/3/
                              Ha.

Originally posted by jesbelle View Post
                              which, near as I can tell, is some sort of gimmicky way to say "we put apple sauce in a pouch, extreme! Buy it, bitches!"
                              HA!

Comment

Working...
                              X