No announcement yet.

Primal for 1 month, now have flu. WTH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal for 1 month, now have flu. WTH?

I'm not happy with this.

On the plus side, and this is major, I am nursing a five month old, and despite having had no solid food for over two days, I have had no reduction in milk. Previously, my milk production was completely dependent on the meals I ate that day. If I skipped a meal, I'd be up all night nursing a constantly hungry baby.

Anyway, I didn't expect to get the first flu going around after switching to primal eating. The changes I made were quitting grain (of which I never had more than two "servings" in a day- like two pieces of bread, or one oatmeal square) and dairy. Otherwise, my diet was already fat and meat heavy, low carb- no sugar and only berries for fruit because I get headaches if I eat more than about 70 gms of carbs in a day, and immediate headaches if I eat a banana or grapes, for instance. BUT we have significantly increased our coconut consumption.

I'm wondering if this is a flu/detox combo.

I guess I'll keep my mouth shut about PB until I'm well again. "I went Primal, and now I have the flu and can't eat" is hardly an encouraging testimony. My body composition has drastically changed though. But I have a flu!!! My children and partner did/do too.

Boo.

Flu is caused by a virus. Your diet might have strengthen your immune system, but it will never make it invincible against every bug out there.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Doesn't sound like carb-flu, so I doubt this has anything with going Primal. Have you checked your Vitamin D levels? You may also need to up your mineral levels.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Flu is caused by a virus. Your diet might have strengthen your immune system, but it will never make it invincible against every bug out there.
        Yeah, I know. I have a decent understanding of immunology, but I average being ill about twice per year, so I hoped that I might make it to the new year having been ill only once. I guess I was due.

Comment

Originally posted by Imogen View Post
          Yeah, I know. I have a decent understanding of immunology, but I average being ill about twice per year, so I hoped that I might make it to the new year having been ill only once. I guess I was due.
          I haven't been sick in over a year, since supplementing with D & minerals to sufficiency and otherwise eating well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
            Doesn't sound like carb-flu, so I doubt this has anything with going Primal. Have you checked your Vitamin D levels? You may also need to up your mineral levels.
            I've been wondering about this, too. I'm not keen on taking any vitamins in isolation because, for instance, vitamin D production is only one of over one hundred actions the body takes during its synthesis. For that reason, I rely on cod liver oil and fatty fish for D, because they contain co-factors that straight D3 doesn't. I'm not closed to considering taking it, though; I just need to do some more research before I make my conclusion.

I've also found that I have not needed all the supplements I was taking since quitting grain. I no longer need supplemental C, Mg, any of the mood-stabilising herbs, and have even been off my dessicated thyroid and adrenal. I have been taking Concentrace, Mg, clo, and thyroid and adrenal during this flu, though, since I'm not eating. I had some lamb bone broth yesterday, too. I'll have chicken broth today.

All in all, this flu has been resolving quickly and even though I am weak, I am clear-headed and as long as I don't stand up or walk too long, I'm okay.

Comment

I haven't been sick in over a year, since supplementing with D & minerals to sufficiency and otherwise eating well.
              Okay. Time to do some research. Thanks.

Comment

I'm going to try taking the D3 I have. I live in a region with little sunlight right now. During the summer months, it's all sunlight, though. Do I store that? I'm outside from 8-16 hours during the sunny months (and it's sunny that whole time). But then, it gets very cold and dark for a long time.

I'm going to try taking 4,000 IU and see if that helps. Up to 10,000 IU is considered safe, right? I just read through a bunch of Mark's posts and links from them (I read extremely quickly), and that's what I read from several sources.

I'll do more research, but today I'm going to take 4000 IU.

Thank you for the suggestion, Dragonfly.

Comment

You are welcome! Unless you are obese, you aren't able to store more than a couple of weeks' worth, from what I've read. At the latitude that you live, it's possible that you can may not get enough from sunlight even in the summer.

Also, if you are deficient, so is your baby. Suggested supplementation for infants is 400 IUs (oil-based drops.) (I work with pregnant moms, so have been researching nutrition for a long time...)

Yes, 10,000 IUs is safe. I've been taking 8,000 IUs for a year and got my blood level up to 91 ng/ml--the high end of the "lab normal" range, but I was able to clear my chronic eczema pre-Primal at that dose. I will drop down to 6,000 IUs in March and re-test in June.

Comment

You are welcome! Unless you are obese, you aren't able to store more than a couple of weeks' worth, from what I've read. At the latitude that you live, it's possible that you can may not get enough from sunlight even in the summer.

Also, if you are deficient, so is your baby. Suggested supplementation for infants is 400 IUs (oil-based drops.) (I work with pregnant moms, so have been researching nutrition for a long time...)

Yes, 10,000 IUs is safe. I've been taking 8,000 IUs for a year and got my blood level up to 91 ng/ml--the high end of the "lab normal" range, but I was able to clear my chronic eczema pre-Primal at that dose. I will drop down to 6,000 IUs in March and re-test in June.
                    My babies!!!

Okay, well now I'm more than freaked out. I looked at the drops in town and they contain nasty preservatives (sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate), so I didn't buy them. When we moved here, two years ago, I was giving my children dissolvable D3 tablets, but stopped because my children ended up having little bumps all over their skin that looked like calcium deposits, after several months of taking it. I was giving them 3600 IUs, then reduced to 2000 IUs when summer came. Why would they get those bumps? We were eating grain and dairy at that time- always organic. The bumps didn't leave until we quit dairy a month ago now. There's a connection there, I think. Do you know what it is? Why didn't they have those bumps until I started giving them D3?

They are all bump-free now, so I guess I'll see what happens this time with no dairy.

Our D3 tabs are 400 IUs. Is there any reason not to give that to my infant? Obviously I will crush it so she doesn't choke on it, but I mean are drops essential to an infant who has never had any table food, for some reason?

I hate being ignorant, lol.

Oh, and I'm not obese, and have the classic warm climate figure: long, long limbs and short torso (5'6" wearing a 34" inseam...). I don't carry much fat, even when pregnant. This is probably the worst climate for me. My ancestry is Sicilian and Hungarian with a predominance of my gene expression being Sicilian- olive skin, dark hair, the limb thing, freeze very easily.
                    Last edited by Imogen; 01-02-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Since changing my diet (not totally primal, but more natural) years ago, I RARELY get sick......BUT, there are times where it just seems too much for my body to fight. Usually I can tie it back to lack of sleep 9 times out of 10 when I do actually catch something.

That said, usually if I double up on vit D, zinc, selenium, maybe echinacea I either nip whatever virus in its tracks, or shorten/lessen the illness by leaps and bounds. My not so compliant husband will get the full blown symptoms, be in bed for a few days with fever, aches, and so on....where as I might get a sniffle, feel a little tired for one day, and that's it. So I cannot complain too much.
                      Erin
                      Daily Vlogs
                      Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Oil-based drops are better absorbed by most people, but if you are OK with the ingredients (magnesium stearate is not good) in the tabs and can mix the powder into some expressed breastmilk for her, I can't imagine it would be an issue. Carlson's is the brand I love for vitamin D and iherb.com has great pricing, if they can ship to you up there!

Don't know about the bumps...D aids in calcium utilization, but that's the only connection to dairy that I know about. Perhaps they were allergic to something in the supplements?

I'm similarly geographically misplaced--also olive complexion/Spanish heritage--living in the Pac NW...

Comment

Well, I just finished reading the 28 page thread on D3 supplementation. I don't have anything better to offer, so I'm going to go ahead, and I'll order the drops, too.

Given that I have only supplemented for less than a year over a year ago, it's pretty amazing to me that my children have grown so well. My seven yr old is 4'5, our six yr old is off-the-charts (last I measured but he just went through a growth spurt in the last few months), our 5 yr old has been consistently in the 75-80th percentile and well muscled with beautiful proportions, our 3 yr old is also off the charts and our 5 month old is 20 pounds. They all have excellent teeth and musculature. They don't have any overt signs of deficiency, and that surprises me based on what I've just read. I have had no complications during pregnancies either. My last three were born at home after the first two were deceptively coerced caesarian sections citing breech danger.

Anyway, I'm glad they have no overt symptoms, but I will be giving them D3 from now on. I'll give them tabs until the oil arrives. I know the magnesium stearate is basty stuff. I put the children's tab into the baby's mouth and her amazing dissolves anything except cement saliva instantly liquified it.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm off to order the D3 oil now.

Comment

If you never got sick it would be a problem. The reason younger folks are more vulnerable to illness is that their bodies haven't had the opportunity to be exposed over time to different viruses and the like. I caught the upper respiratory crud that was going around in work: one guy progressed to pneumonia, another to severe bronchitis most it lingered for 2-3 weeks. Mine resolved in a week, never went into my chest, all good in my book.
                            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Given that I have only supplemented for less than a year over a year ago, it's pretty amazing to me that my children have grown so well. My seven yr old is 4'5, our six yr old is off-the-charts (last I measured but he just went through a growth spurt in the last few months), our 5 yr old has been consistently in the 75-80th percentile and well muscled with beautiful proportions, our 3 yr old is also off the charts and our 5 month old is 20 pounds. They all have excellent teeth and musculature. They don't have any overt signs of deficiency, and that surprises me based on what I've just read.
                              Well, depending on what they eat, it's certainly possible that they may have been able to get enough D from food sources because of their lower body weight. Everyone metabolizes D differently, so some bodies need less to have an optimal blood level. Definitely worth getting yourself tested in a few months and maybe the older ones as well. Here's the link to a test kit.
                              Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-03-2011, 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X