I want to cry -Im the new Admin for our corporate wellness program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to cry -Im the new Admin for our corporate wellness program

I work for a small company. GREAT CEO and management. They really take care of us and want to implement a corporate wellness program. It presents a few challenges because we're a virtual company, but I was excited at the prospect.

Well...the company that's the front runner to do health assessments sent me a sample "result" and, of course, it's chock full of CW recommendations to avoid sat. fat, eat plenty of 'healthy' whole grains, 30-60 minutes of "vigorous" cardio 7 days a week. You know the drill. It's pretty much the opposite of PB.

I'm sure I'd probably fail this sucker if I took it.

Anyone know of any "primal or paleo" corporate wellness programs I can offer up as an alternative? Maybe it's a new niche market for Mark! I just have a hard time having anything to do with a program that sets people up for failure. Most of my co-workers have had the paleo/primal conversation with me already and many have even seen huge benefits. They'd probably be like: WTF is this, Heather?

icing on their low fat, whole grain cake: they charge over $700 to "assess" one's lifestyle and spit back run of the mill CW advice.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

I feel for you, I was a volunteer nutrition educator for a non-profit program. The more enlightened I became, the more difficult it was for me to continue. I was ready to resign when my husband got transferred. Can you swap out responsibilities with someone else?

Comment

I don't know of any specific programs, but I don't see why they wouldn't be receptive to an "eat lots of protein and veggies" plan. You might even slip in how yams/potatoes/squashes (perhaps rice & beans too, to cast a wider net) are nutritionally superior to bread and pasta, the processing that soybean/corn/canola oil go through, and how coconut oil's fat metabolizes differently than fat from a cow or pig.

You inevitably have to make concessions, but just getting people to stray from sugars, gluten, industrial oils, and processed food would be huge.
      “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

A quick google turns up some options:

In Episode 387 of “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore,” we hear from certified nutritionist Jolene Park from a corporate wellness consulting company called Healthy Discoveries dedicated to helping employees learn how to be healthier, more productive workers. Listen to Jolene talk about how she merged her love for communications and nutrition, the influence of Dr. Loren Cordain, Dr. Mike Eades, and Dr. Jonny Bowden on her thinking about diet and health, why she confidently bucks the trend of her colleagues in the nutrition industry, the reaction she gets from her clients to promoting a high-fat, low-carb message for health, how she breaks the cultural health paradigms with the employees she teaches, the way she makes learning about nutrition concepts fun, why consumers buy into the health marketing claims on food packaging, why she felt like there was a health consulting void existed in corporate wellness, her “big break” with a Fortune 500 company, the concept of the “wellness wheel,” what she is teaching people about health that is most important, why she doesn’t believe in the “cookie-cutter” approach to diet, what the biggest problems she is seeing with her clients, the most invaluable health book she promotes to her clients, her focus on “hunter-gatherer” whole food Paleolithic eating, why she gave up eating gluten although she doesn’t have Celiac disease, the influence that growing up on a cattle farm had on her as well as The Weston A. Price Foundation, and why she’s not a fan of soy.

Comment

i wish i could help .. but they are out there ... by pure chance my Exex health Check doctor is primal and got me onto this site ... hes in Australia though ... good luck with it

Comment

You could always push eating whole foods, veggies/fruits and removing processed junk food and sugar from the diet. Make sure everyone is getting enough sleep, low stress, and non-chronic cardio type exercise. And just not bring up whole grains or your opinion on saturated fat. You can always give them advice on what worked for you and tell them to make the choice for themselves. But as long as you are pushing whole foods you will already make a huge differences in their health.
            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I agree that this would be a great niche for Mark Sisson to park himself in. If he doesn't want to jump on this quickly, maybe you could contact the Paleo nutritionist to see who/what she knows or if she qualifies to do this herself. Her site is www.balancedbites.com.
              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I'd definitely push for a whole foods approach with emphasis on primal eating instead of full of MEAT! FAT! VEGGIES! NOMNOMNOM!!!
                Might be a bit easier for folks to swallow haha

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
                  You could always push eating whole foods, veggies/fruits and removing processed junk food and sugar from the diet. Make sure everyone is getting enough sleep, low stress, and non-chronic cardio type exercise. And just not bring up whole grains or your opinion on saturated fat. You can always give them advice on what worked for you and tell them to make the choice for themselves. But as long as you are pushing whole foods you will already make a huge differences in their health.
                  +1
                  The idea of cutting crap out of your diet has been around since the invention of dieting. Emphasize Real Food and staying out of the aisles in the grocery store.

You might be able to put together a recommended reading list that has works from Taubes, Cordain, Wolf, Eades, Pollan, SISSON, Fallon; and let folks figure things out on their own without sounding like a freak to the people that have been brainwashed by the dogmas of CW and Megamarketing campaigns.

Good Luck!
                  Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

i have a question.

what is this program?

we are developing corporate wellness offerings through our business. We already offer massage, various wellness classes, meditation and breathing classes, etc.

what is this assessment business? how is it a corporate benefit? do you have to use one of these programs? what is the deal?

thanks.

Comment

My new job offers a discount rate on Weight Watchers... All of the overweight people in my office have apparently tried it.
                      "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                      -J.Stanton

Comment

I suggest giving all employees 2 books:
                        1) Primal Blueprint
                        2) Paleo Solution
                        3) DVD "Fat Head
                        4) Proper Vitamin D3 Nutrition with free blood testing is VITAL to eliminate a huge array of illness. See my Vit D report below.

Fight against the CW program with everything you got. Start your program with a presentation to the CEO & Bosses to explain your program.

My 2 pennies worth
                        Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by aktres View Post
                          A quick google turns up some options:
                          My google fu must have been WAY off! This is a very good lead, thanks! (I listen to Jimmy's show off and on...good stuff!)

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                            I suggest giving all employees 2 books:
                            1) Primal Blueprint
                            2) Paleo Solution
                            3) DVD "Fat Head
                            4) Proper Vitamin D3 Nutrition with free blood testing is VITAL to eliminate a huge array of illness. See my Vit D report below.

Fight against the CW program with everything you got. Start your program with a presentation to the CEO & Bosses to explain your program.

My 2 pennies worth
                            Grizz
                            Definitely...I know what I"ll be doing today LOL

Thanks for all the GREAT advice and input, everyone! I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure what to do, but y'all have stoked my fire to press ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                              i have a question.

what is this program?

we are developing corporate wellness offerings through our business. We already offer massage, various wellness classes, meditation and breathing classes, etc.

what is this assessment business? how is it a corporate benefit? do you have to use one of these programs? what is the deal?

thanks.
                              the program/company we're looking at offers voluntary (HIPAA protected) wellness assessments...basically, answer a bunch of questions, have a blood panel done if possible and they give you a run down of things you are doing well to be healthy and things you need to improve on, from diet, exercise to lifestyle factors. They also offer company-wide programs for the everyone to participate in, ie, increasing how many steps you take per day...that kind of thing. Everything is voluntary. We can choose which programs to implement throughout the year depending on what employees want.

Comment

Working...
                              X