Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex Vegetarians/Vegans - what made you change?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) What FIRST prompted you to start questioning your plant-based path?

F'ing hungry ALL THE TIME and I got tired of the elitism. Dr. McDougall and Dr. Fuhrman, you're wrong.

2) What was the last straw that finally convinced you to eat meat again?

www.beyondveg.com. Months later, Reading Omnivore's Dilemma.

3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages (such as fish first, then chicken, and finally beef, or what have you) or did you just start eating any/all animal products all at once?

I got a filet mignon for my anniverary dinner. It was delicious. MMMmmm steak. And then I went nuts with the cookies. And then months later, I did paleo, which I was still hungry and unsatisfied. And so much damn chicken. WTH? And now primal, which is much better.
    Last edited by prodistat; 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM. Reason: Updating the last straw question.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Comment

I wanted to be able to feel morally superior to people.

Last straw was I wanted to be healthier.

All of these Buddhists with their anti-violence stuff. And then when they realize that their lives are better as omnivores they have to come up with some ridiculous rationalization to somehow make meat eating "spiritual" in a Buddhist way. That's what you get for holding untenable philosophical beliefs - a dissonant existence. Once I realized that morality only made sense between moral agents who can advocate each others' liberty and that such a thing applies to humans and is a useful concept amongst my peers, but that it doesn't apply to an animal who can not reciprocate, I realized how silly I had been. You shouldn't try to rationalize eating meat, you should realize that there is nothing wrong with harming an animal for your own benefit. Although people who are excessively malevolent and like to torture puppies are usually dangerous to humans too, but factory farming is a matter of economics, not love of pain and this especially isn't true of pasture farming. Not that I draw the distinction between them, that would mean that there is something wrong with factory farming besides nutritionally and possibly economically.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Honestly, it was vanity. I wanted to lose weight, and I realized that eating such a high carb diet was detrimental to doing so. In order to be lower carb and higher protein I had to eat Gardenburger "chicken" patties and other garbage, and it made no sense.

Learning about paleo/primal and realizing that it JUST MAKES SENSE. I love animals (my life and business basically revolves around them) but humans are made to eat meat. Period. It is the cycle of life, food chain, etc. Of course, I wish that I could afford and find meat sourced only from organic, grass fed, humane farms, but that is not entirely realistic. I will do the best I can.

A3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages (such as fish first, then chicken, and finally beef, or what have you) or did you just start eating any/all animal products all at once?
        Stages. I started with fish and seafood. Then chicken and turkey. I am still in the process of introducing red meat. That is harder as I really don't like the taste and cooking with meat is foreign to me. I do eat a lot of "processed" meat as it is easier for me (rotisserie chicken, organic deli meat, nitrate free bacon) right now, but I would like to get away from that. I do a lot in the crockpot as I can often just dump meat from the freezer in without having to handle it a lot. I have no doubt that I will become a "regular" meat eater one day, it just takes time to change your entire way of eating.

ETA: I was a vegetarian for 20+ years.
        Last edited by paradisefound; 03-09-2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I was a vegetarian for 26 yrs.....(!!!!!) (so crazy)....my health was poor, I developed adrenal exhaustion, asthma, gained weight (a lot) and never ever thought of returning to meat eating.....
          why I became veg- I got swept up in some theories, macrobiotic, for one.
          why I returned to eating meat-again, a theory, the Blood Type Diet, which I still follow. As a type O I realized I was the type who needed meat the most...so I tried it. My DH made me a turkey burger and it tasted so good. I began taking enzymes to assist in digestion, but after a yr or so I quit those and was fine. lost weight, (still need to), with the removal of grains I eliminated asthma, feel much much better!

Comment

I was vegetarian for about 16 years with a little infrequent fish (I never could quite feel bad about eating fish). I had read my mom's old Paavo Airola books in the early 90's and her "Fit For Life" book and felt like vegetarianism must be healthier, but it wasn't until I read an article about factory farming that I overnight decided not to eat meat anymore. After a few years of not eating meat, it didn't even appeal to me and I thought I would stay vegetarian for the rest of my life.
            Toward the end of my vegetarianism, I became a raw vegan for 6 months in hopes of healing my adrenal fatigue, acne and hormonal imbalances (and I was high-raw for quite a few months before that). I was desperate to feel good and I hadn't really felt good in over a decade.

I wasn't getting results on my veg. diet, no matter how I tweaked it. During my raw vegan experiment, I ended up losing a lot of muscle, despite my careful protein intake and my energy levels and skin never improved. I abandoned that and started eating eggs again and some fish and my muscle returned very quickly. That was my first clue that my body did better with animal protein.
            I had another raw vegan friend who had read "Primal Body, Primal Mind" (after being told by her naturopath that she absolutely had to start eating meat) and she began adapting the principles and getting great results. I really trusted this friend (she's studied holistic health and diet extensively) so I read the book and it made so much sense to me!
            I love reading health books, but because of my veg. brainwashing, I had never been exposed to a lot of the info in "Primal Body", so I had no idea! I had also been poking around on Tom Billings' site "Beyond Vegetarianism" and was fascinated by the stories of former vegetarians, vegans and raw foodists who got much healthier eating meat.
            Another clue was from the book "Adrenal Fatigue" by James Wilson. He states that vegetarians have a harder time recovering from adrenal fatigue and that it's nearly impossible for vegans in his clinical experience. That matched my own story- I wasn't healing on my veg. diet! It mirrored a lot of the info from "Primal Body", where she states that the brains of vegetarians and vegans are the most dysregulated and hardest to balance.

I had several dreams bluntly telling me to. In one, I was eavesdropping on a doctor of Chinese medicine talking to another doctor about me and she said, shaking her head, "She needs to eat meat!!". In another dream I was tasked with analyzing the diet of a very healthy, robust man and all the foods he ate were laid out in raw form on a big table. There were piles of red meat, fish, veggies and tubers. It was very Paleo.
            Even after I knew I was going to start eating meat again, it took me months to actually do it!

3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages (such as fish first, then chicken, and finally beef, or what have you) or did you just start eating any/all animal products all at once?

I was already eating eggs and I had upped my fish, but when I decided to eat "real" meat, I went straight for the bison! I believe in Chinese energetic food theory and so I wanted to go for the meat of a big, strong animal, since I was so opposite of that. I wanted that bison energy, LOL! So, my hubby cooked me a plain bison burger with some onions and I was hesitant to take that first bite, but after that it was great! I wanted a second burger (I restrained myself out of respect for my stomach)

I didn't have any digestive issues from the meat and I knew that if I encountered any, I could just take some Betaine HCl (vegetarians' stomach acid production gets downregulated- that's why some of them have issues reintroducing meat.)

I was fortunate enough to read most of "The Vegetarian Myth" right as I began eating meat and that erased any moral/ethical hesitation I had about it. I also come from a non-dual belief system (Taoism) and I really came to understand that the idea that eating meat is wrong, even though it's obviously part of the natural order of life on the planet, was a false, dualistic belief. Taoism is all about natural order.
            I had a lot of vegan friends follow suit and start eating meat shortly after me (most of them are eating Primal or Paleo) and it was encouraging to see all of them having big health improvements.
            Last edited by hazyjane; 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM.
            http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

I was vegetarian for 10 years; started eating meat again about 4-5 years ago. If only I could get that time back.

Ill health. Specifically: weakness, dizzy spells, weight GAIN, depression, anxiety, migraines, digestive issues. There's more, but I'll leave it at that.

I started therapy due to depression, anxiety, and feeling pretty darn crappy all the time. The therapist believed in the Blood Type Diet - I am Type O, and according to her, I should have been eating red meats, not much in the way of grains, etc. Ok, funny haha. Then I did online metabolic questionnaires, which always came back "protein type". I added more eggs, but still not a great improvement in health. At someone's suggestion, I added seitan and tofu to my diet. Wow was that bad. Very bad. So I decided to try meat...

Yes, fish first - sashimi. Then I tried other seafood - shrimp, scallops, cooked salmon. No issues. Then chicken which felt like a brick in my stomach. Beef wasn't too bad, same with pork. It's been a few years, and my only hang-ups are offal and things with bones - still working on it.
              Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I also (although mine only lasted for a couple of months) broke the spell with bison and it was like popping a candy flip! I don't know what it was, everything just synced and I felt like I had replaced something that I had lost. I was supplementing with B12 so that couldn't be it. Not that it matters what.

Comment

Low iron levels, underactive thyroid, orange skin, thinning hair, metabolic tests that indicated comprimised liver- and kidney function, and fat gain. (I was a raw vegan, so the consequences were worse for me....)

My doctor told me if I didn't change my diet NOW, I may need surgery to correct my enlarged thyroid.

3) Did you reintroduce animal products in stages?
                  Nope. Walked to the store right there and then and bought some roast beef. I never looked back. Not even four months later my thyroid tests came out swimingly good.

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                    Mea culpa for imposing the veg/vegan thing on friends and family. I will not do the same thing w/ primal.
                    Totally. Being wrong is humbling.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                      I also (although mine only lasted for a couple of months) broke the spell with bison and it was like popping a candy flip! I don't know what it was, everything just synced and I felt like I had replaced something that I had lost. I was supplementing with B12 so that couldn't be it. Not that it matters what.
                      I really do think the Chinese are on to something- there's definitely more to certain meats (and things like liver) than the mere sum of their nutrients! I totally got a little "rush" from the bison! I was on B12 and iron already, too.

Comment

Yeah like they say that lamb "warms the stomach", I agree. My tummy is very warm after a meal of lamb. Not inflammed, but feeling good.

I could only guess what some of the benefits are. We could reduce it to CLA, creatine, carnosine, carnitine, and all of the other things that can't be found in appreciable amounts in plants, but stuff like the warming could possibly have to do with the exact sequence of pathways that get activated from a particular food with its unique mixture of biochemicals and their overall effect on metabolism.

Could it possibly be my own body trying to reinforce my resumed meat-eating ways? "Hey you, I don't know what the heck you thought you were doing there but this is better. Keep it up and have some euphoria"

All speculation, though. Fun speculation.

Comment

Maybe there's an ineffable alchemy that happens from the commingling of certain nutrients: Meat Magic

Comment

Working...
                          X