Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adrenal Fatigue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adrenal Fatigue

    I would lvoe to hear from anyone who has been diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue. How Primal has helped, wat has not helped etc.

    I was diagnosed with severe adrenal fatiue almost 4 yrs ago. 1 1/2 yrs ago I began healing extensively. I was a raw vegan, to heal all the ailments that go along with AF and little did I know how bad it was for my adrenals!

    I am now mostly primal, difficult to do around the holidays and with a family who loves SAD foods. Hubby wanted perogies for dinner. barf.

    I am gf, sf, mostly dairy free except butter and some cheeses. DD (4) is gfdf also, so hubby thinks we eat really healthy despite his diet coke, and double stuffed oreos he buys the kids becuase they are "deprived". Those are just examples, manhy other fake foods come inot the house weekly.

    I would really love to exercise according to Marks book, but I have been told to only do yoga at this point. What types of exercises have you been able to do without further depleting your adrenals?

    I guess it just feels somewhat lonely being the only one with this illness, would like to know of someone else who kindof understand what it's like to walk in these shoes.

  • #2
    *hug*
    Not diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, unless you count a self-diagnosis. I would like to get myself tested but I'm afraid that the results would turn up negative and I would be back at square one, again. Mine is mild, I guess. Not ready to fall down in a fetal position yet, and hopefully not anytime soon.
    (I'm not much help though, I still do stuff that drains my adrenals, like drinking coffee/fasting/not getting enough sleep/ bodyweight exercises) I'm working more with diet and supplements to help heal them, though once my youngest is weaned I'll be able to start more aggressive treatments(adaptogens)

    A good person to chat with on here is Zoebird, she's a yoga instructor. I think yoga can be great exercise, its a lot of flexibility, body weight, and to some extent cardio exercises. She might also be able to point out some yoga asanas(sp?) that can help the adrenals.
    Calm the f**k down.

    Comment


    • #3
      I was tested.... oh, about 2-1/2 years ago, saliva testing by my naturopathic doc (after everybody else ignored me.) Anyway, my adrenals came in super low... way under the low end of the spectrum.

      I also am hypothyroid, and I finally found an awesome doctor and started being treated for that almost 2 years ago.

      I started PB last year in November, but was much closer to 90% by January of this year.

      For the adrenal issues I did the following: Took Adreset (metagenics) which is just an herbal combination of items that are good for the adrenals. Removed all stressors from my life (quit the job from hell, pared back for a while, got plenty of rest, etc.) For a long time the only exercise I did was walking and yoga. I've done some meditation (not a lot), but mostly I've just given myself permission to not have to get everything done all of the time. Oh and no caffeine as much as possible.

      I just had mine tested again and they're fine. So it helped a lot, so did finally getting my thyroid under control.

      I would think regarding exercise that aside from yoga, nice gentle walking would be great (which is very PB), and I would think that some light working out (squats and planks and stuff from the PB fitness book) would be fine. You could even just take it slower if you want, but as long as you're not doing things that are super stressful taxing, it should be fine.

      When's the last time you had your adrenals tested since your first test? Interestingly enough, the great part is fixing adrenals has a lot to do with just NOT taxing them so they can heal.

      Also, how's your Vitamin D? I know that even after I got the other stuff together i still had some fatigue which was due to super low D. Once I got that up, that heavy fatigue was finally gone. I'm still careful now to listen to my body, but I don't get that horrible fatigue I used to.
      sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

      Comment


      • #4
        Minxxa: How long did it take with the vitamin D to note an improvement in your fatigue? I've been on the D for about 3 weeks now and am still completely exhausted all the time. Got an appointment with the naturopath for after the 1st. I have a book on adrenal fatigue coming to me via Amazon.com.
        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Metismomma View Post
          *hug*
          Not diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, unless you count a self-diagnosis. I would like to get myself tested but I'm afraid that the results would turn up negative and I would be back at square one, again. Mine is mild, I guess. Not ready to fall down in a fetal position yet, and hopefully not anytime soon.
          (I'm not much help though, I still do stuff that drains my adrenals, like drinking coffee/fasting/not getting enough sleep/ bodyweight exercises) I'm working more with diet and supplements to help heal them, though once my youngest is weaned I'll be able to start more aggressive treatments(adaptogens)
          [QUOTE=Metismomma;285344]*hug*
          Not diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, unless you count a self-diagnosis. I would like to get myself tested but I'm afraid that the results would turn up negative and I would be back at square one, again. Mine is mild, I guess. Not ready to fall down in a fetal position yet, and hopefully not anytime soon.
          (I'm not much help though, I still do stuff that drains my adrenals, like drinking coffee/fasting/not getting enough sleep/ bodyweight exercises) I'm working more with diet and supplements to help heal them, though once my youngest is weaned I'll be able to start more aggressive treatments(adaptogens)

          Self diagnosis totally counts these days! Most drs won't acknowledge this illness because thye are only trained to recognize Addison's disease or, I can't remember the other end of the spectrum of adrenal dysfunction. I was walking around with it for many yrs (maybe 15) pre-diagnosis, trying to be my own advocate, researching the best blood tests, best ways of finding answers, best type of dr., diet etc etc etc. All in the name of getting better. The first dr was overseas in asia, an amazing dr who found many many answers to why I was so sick. He was great! But, I was 6 wks post partum with my 4th child, so many things for treatment couldn't be done due to breast feeding. I was stubborn, he wanted me to wean her at 9 mo, then 1 yr. I refused and b'fed her for 33mo. I wouldn't change that for the world! He treated me with some adaptogens, herbals, and thyroid (i have hypothyroid now too, but he thought it was secondary to adrenals). This only led to a dependancy on these meds, even though "natural".
          Many stressors later (international move, more hypo symptoms=more thyroid meds, homeschooling children, vegan diet, high stress lifestyle) my adrenals were getting worse and my life felt not worth living for. I did my own 24 hr saliva cortisol test (illegal in ny, so had to cross many bridges for that to work!) and realized they were barely functioning! I was headed for nowhere good. So, I found a dr online who works with patients in his office but alo over the phone who really need it. I have been working with them ever since, now 15 mo. They have given me my life back! I am off the adaptogens, herbals etc. I am on mega doses of vit C, B's, progesterone cream, amino acids, all to heal the adrenals. It's slow but sure. My crashes used to be severe and very frequentely, now they are much more seldom and not as severe. I can go through the day without sleeping, and I am not always awake all night, dragging through the day.
          All that to say, be careful how you treat yourself once you do. Read the articles on drlam's website. Extremely knowledgeable!!!!!!!!!
          Thanks for sharing, it's nice to know someone who understands!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
            I was tested.... oh, about 2-1/2 years ago, saliva testing by my naturopathic doc (after everybody else ignored me.) Anyway, my adrenals came in super low... way under the low end of the spectrum.

            I also am hypothyroid, and I finally found an awesome doctor and started being treated for that almost 2 years ago.

            I started PB last year in November, but was much closer to 90% by January of this year.

            For the adrenal issues I did the following: Took Adreset (metagenics) which is just an herbal combination of items that are good for the adrenals. Removed all stressors from my life (quit the job from hell, pared back for a while, got plenty of rest, etc.) For a long time the only exercise I did was walking and yoga. I've done some meditation (not a lot), but mostly I've just given myself permission to not have to get everything done all of the time. Oh and no caffeine as much as possible.

            I just had mine tested again and they're fine. So it helped a lot, so did finally getting my thyroid under control.

            I would think regarding exercise that aside from yoga, nice gentle walking would be great (which is very PB), and I would think that some light working out (squats and planks and stuff from the PB fitness book) would be fine. You could even just take it slower if you want, but as long as you're not doing things that are super stressful taxing, it should be fine.

            When's the last time you had your adrenals tested since your first test? Interestingly enough, the great part is fixing adrenals has a lot to do with just NOT taxing them so they can heal.

            Also, how's your Vitamin D? I know that even after I got the other stuff together i still had some fatigue which was due to super low D. Once I got that up, that heavy fatigue was finally gone. I'm still careful now to listen to my body, but I don't get that horrible fatigue I used to.
            I know my D levels are low. Had them tested a few mo ago and it was 25 (20-100) Dr said they were fine. sigh. I have just started taking D supps, but am at a loss as to which one is best. So much inof out there and so little time to read and digest! I have retested my cortisol level yet. My nutrtionist says it's not necassary. They go by symptoms primarily, and I am cool with that, t's expensive anyway. She has been amazing. I am doing mostly what you mentioned, being ok not getting everything done, listening to my body etc. It works, I guess sometimes I'd just like to think it doesn't exist anymore. Ya know? I used to feel like I was invinsable, like, I could do it, no matter the cost. Now, I have to ask for help all the time, and it's hard to admit I cna't do everything. Maybe it's just me.
            I also took adreset, but it ended up doing me worse in the long run.
            Thanks for the encouragement!
            Last edited by splunky; 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Splunky
              I know that primal has helped quite a bit, but I still have a long way to go. My thyroid function and vitamin D levels improved, and now I take a B50 complex twice daily, iron, vitamin C(not enough though) and of course, D. Its looking like zinc and copper maybe next on the list. I'm at the point that I'm thinking a good multi is in order.
              I'm curious about the progesterone cream. I did have my hormones tested but I don't know if the doctor read the results correctly. I'm going to try to get my records and see. I have many symptoms of being low in progesterone/estrogen dominant (but not all ) but then, most of the same symptoms apply to low estrogen and low testosterone.

              I hear you on the asking for help. When our second child came along, I had no choice. I needed help from my husband. Luckily he was happy to oblige but its still frustrates me when I need it. I still need his help a lot, and I'm worried that I lean too much on him. Don't want him to end like me especially since he already has hypothyroidism.
              Calm the f**k down.

              Comment


              • #8
                the only reason I suggest testing the adrenals is because some of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue (or mild adrenal insufficiency to be more precise!) are the same as thyroid disorders, nutrient deficiencies, low vitamin D and low iron/ferratin levels. If you test your adrenals and they're getting back up to snuff, then it helps you to start looking at other things. Mine was a combination of thyroid/adrenals/vitamin d deficiency/low ferritin. And even when one level was getting better, the others were contributing to the fatigue still. So there you go.

                I am taking Nature's Answer Vitamin D drops, just D3 and olive oil. I got them at iherb, they are 2,000 i.u./drop. I got the link from Cillakat, and I love them. They work really well, are super duper cheap, super duper pure, and one little bottle should last for 5-6 months (I think they were 9.50/bottle). Totally recommend. A++++

                Mine was thyroid induced, then that being untreated so long plus super duper stress knocked me down for the count. (My mom had thyroid cancer, so it's genetic in my case.)

                I get ya with feeling invicinible. I always thought I could just "power through". Yeah, not so much. I'm starting to see the damage that going with our society's worshipping of multitasking and being all that you can be, and work hard play hard can do. I'm off that merry go round, and it's actually very nice. Heh, course I'm an older broad now so I don't give a rat's ass if anybody likes it or not.

                Sounds like you got some good support though. It just takes time, especially if you got a lot of different things going on and it's been untreated for a while. Patience is hard, but worth it!
                sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                  the only reason I suggest testing the adrenals is because some of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue (or mild adrenal insufficiency to be more precise!) are the same as thyroid disorders, nutrient deficiencies, low vitamin D and low iron/ferratin levels. If you test your adrenals and they're getting back up to snuff, then it helps you to start looking at other things. Mine was a combination of thyroid/adrenals/vitamin d deficiency/low ferritin. And even when one level was getting better, the others were contributing to the fatigue still. So there you go.

                  Oh my goodness, that totally makes sense! My D level is pretty low, as is my ferritin, so I have tried treating them but always get sidetracked. Too much on my plate, and my regular dr says they are "fine". Maybe I will look inot thise as well.

                  I am taking Nature's Answer Vitamin D drops, just D3 and olive oil. I got them at iherb, they are 2,000 i.u./drop. I got the link from Cillakat, and I love them. They work really well, are super duper cheap, super duper pure, and one little bottle should last for 5-6 months (I think they were 9.50/bottle). Totally recommend. A++++

                  Sounds great, will look inot this for sure, I love iherb!! So, how long does it take to get the D levels bakc up and notice a difference?
                  Mine was thyroid induced, then that being untreated so long plus super duper stress knocked me down for the count. (My mom had thyroid cancer, so it's genetic in my case.)

                  Yeah, I have always thought my thyroid was a primary cause of all this, it's genetic for me too. My dad, gramma, cousin and 2 aunts (all on the same side) all have thryoid disease of some sort.

                  I get ya with feeling invicinible. I always thought I could just "power through". Yeah, not so much. I'm starting to see the damage that going with our society's worshipping of multitasking and being all that you can be, and work hard play hard can do. I'm off that merry go round, and it's actually very nice. Heh, course I'm an older broad now so I don't give a rat's ass if anybody likes it or not.

                  Goodness, this brings tears to my eyes. Guess I haven't fully let go of that yet. Am no sprin chick at this point either, but am on the edge of not caring about things like i did when I was younger.

                  Sounds like you got some good support though. It just takes time, especially if you got a lot of different things going on and it's been untreated for a while. Patience is hard, but worth it!
                  patience is soo hard, you're right. I have been sick since I was 15 or so. Went from dr to dr with my mom trying to find answers. Celiac, thyroid, adrenal, subsequently immune system......I am now 35 and I have answers. Just wish I could snap my fingers and make it all better. By the grace of God I continue to walk day to day with this.

                  ps, I tried to reply with multiple quotes but it didn't work, so some of my reply is within your quote. weird.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good for you though, and your hubby too! He is helping you alot, what a blessing! My hubby doesn't get it still and helps very little. He often adds to my stress because I wish he would help more. Ahhh, balance. I rely on my oldest son alot. ALOT. I am trianing the younger 2 boys now too, they are 12, 10, 8 and the "baby" is 4 now. Because they are home with me during the day, we have alot more time. Schooling them is hard but the benefits are HUGE! I love teaching them and seeing the lightbulb go on in thier mind when they finally get something!
                    Aaah, I degress.
                    Have a look into liponano c (google it, i buy it online). It's a vit c product that is supposed to be delivered to the cells much faster and easier than other products. I am on 2 tsp 2x/day. But I did this with my nutritionist, and gradually built up over a month to that level. It is the sole product responsible for my energy and healing, so quickly! Obviously many other things come into play at this time, but this was amazing!

                    The progesterone cream I take comes from the same website as the liponano c i take. drlams website also talks about estrogen dominance and the symptoms and how to tell, have a look, there might even be a questionarre you can take to help you understand. I had low testosterone also, but once the progesterone goes up, those symptoms generally subside as things balance out on there own.

                    gotta go put the little one to bed now. So encouraged by this conversation!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There was another thread on this subject a while back and someone recommended Dr James Wilson..

                      http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/

                      I've ordered the book, plus his recommended supplements. He seems to really know what he's taking about.

                      I also have thyroid issues with pathologically high TSH and low free T3, but my T4 is fine so my (now ex) GP won't treat me. I've since got a recommendation for a new holistic GP from the thyroid support website over here, but he can't see me till the end of Jan!

                      The fatigue and low mood and just general blah-ness of life is so draining and I'm sick to death of it. I used to be such an energetic person!
                      My Journal

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm going through the same thing, Em. Something is really wrong, because I (and you and others) should have a lot of energy because of our WOE. I will check into that site you've listed. We've got to collectively (weakly) raise our arms and join forces (and then go have a rest...LOL). I can manage to rally for various medical/rehab appointments, but then I'm in bed for the rest of the afternoon. I'm usually a neat person, but more than 15 minutes of housework a day and I'm exhausted and overwhelmed. It's all I can do to make it through 8 hours at work .... and I work from home, have a 3-step commute, and my work attire is pajamas!

                        I have been especially, exceedingly fatigued since I began vitamin D. Has anybody else experienced this?

                        I am excited to finally get in to see this naturopath in Portland. A coworker friend of mine went to her. She put him immediately on old-fashioned desiccated adrenal (from what I have read, I am hoping she will do the same for me) and told him to get off dairy. He did not heed her about the dairy, but he said his energy improved dramatically virtually overnight and he dropped 20 pounds very quickly and had to wear suspenders to keep his pants on. She told him the point of the desiccated adrenal is to give your own glands a holiday so they can rest, and that he would know when to stop taking the desiccated adrenal because he would start to feel overly energetic and wired, indicating that the body's adrenals had rested up and had reported back to work. I do know that "blown out" adrenals and thyroid are related (one causes the other). This naturopath treats the adrenals first, then comes back around and works on the thyroid with old-fashioned desiccated thyroid once the adrenals are back up and functionally fully. I'm curious to see how your doc is going to handle things. Please keep us posted here.

                        This is the book I have on order from Amazon.com. Hopefully I will get it tomorrow or Tuesday.
                        "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome"
                        http://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigu...2220478&sr=8-1
                        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          LOL. OK, Dr. James Wilson, is the author of the book I linked above.

                          On the right track here.
                          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                            I'm going through the same thing, Em. Something is really wrong, because I (and you and others) should have a lot of energy because of our WOE. I will check into that site you've listed. We've got to collectively (weakly) raise our arms and join forces (and then go have a rest...LOL). I can manage to rally for various medical/rehab appointments, but then I'm in bed for the rest of the afternoon. I'm usually a neat person, but more than 15 minutes of housework a day and I'm exhausted and overwhelmed. It's all I can do to make it through 8 hours at work .... and I work from home, have a 3-step commute, and my work attire is pajamas!

                            I have been especially, exceedingly fatigued since I began vitamin D. Has anybody else experienced this?

                            I am excited to finally get in to see this naturopath in Portland. A coworker friend of mine went to her. She put him immediately on old-fashioned desiccated adrenal (from what I have read, I am hoping she will do the same for me) and told him to get off dairy. He did not heed her about the dairy, but he said his energy improved dramatically virtually overnight and he dropped 20 pounds very quickly and had to wear suspenders to keep his pants on. She told him the point of the desiccated adrenal is to give your own glands a holiday so they can rest, and that he would know when to stop taking the desiccated adrenal because he would start to feel overly energetic and wired, indicating that the body's adrenals had rested up and had reported back to work. I do know that "blown out" adrenals and thyroid are related (one causes the other). This naturopath treats the adrenals first, then comes back around and works on the thyroid with old-fashioned desiccated thyroid once the adrenals are back up and functionally fully. I'm curious to see how your doc is going to handle things. Please keep us posted here.

                            This is the book I have on order from Amazon.com. Hopefully I will get it tomorrow or Tuesday.
                            "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome"
                            http://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigu...2220478&sr=8-1
                            That's an excellent book! It really helped dh to understand a little bit where I was coming from, and that I am not a hypochondriac or it's not all in my head. There were some pics that made me laugh and cry at the same time!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You know, I take a dessicated thyroid product I buy online. You can monitor your thyroid levels with online lab work also. Not sure if that is a route you gals want to take, but I found it far superior to Arour (dessicated thyroid) due to the fact it has other things added (selenium etc) and it's not nearly as hard for your adrenals. It's so frustrating when drs won't help you and you know what the problem is!
                              There is also a list of symptoms todetermine wether what you are feeling is thyroid or adrenal or both, I think it's on james wilson's site. have you heard of that? If I find it later I will link it here.
                              So glad to have the support of you guys!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X