Procreation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procreation

I don't want to have babies. Does anyone else feel the same? Besides the fact that pregnancy can bring on, or make diabetic complications worse, I just don't feel the need to have a family. I have nephews and a niece who I love dearly but I just can't imagine having any of my own.

The docs say I can have my tubes tied any time I want (because of the diabetes complications) but I haven't taken the plunge yet. Has anyone here had the operation? Is there much scarring?

If you don't want babies, then I'll take yours. I'm feeling fatherly instincts these days like you wouldn't believe.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

My sister just had a tubal ligation. The scar is pretty much non exsistant, and we're scar prone girls. She was in a lot of pain for the first 72 hours and then by a week she felt fine. She has had some complications with pain where the clamps are situated.
      The more I see the less I know for sure.
      -John Lennon

Comment

How old are you GC? did this happen suddenly?

Thanks Lil_earthmomma. it's reassuring to know the pain doesn't last long.

Comment

I'm 31 and it happened right around when I hit 30, pretty suddenly.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I'm 29, maybe I should wait a few years then. But I just can't see myself ever wanting kids.

Comment

i felt the same way until i was 31, when i just "felt ready." *but* i also prepared for 5 years to make sure i would basically be ready if i did feel ready. my husband and i felt "ready" on the same day, same moment. and, it has been great.

but you do have options. because of the complications due to diabetes, you can still decide to not have a biological child. You can adopt, or have a surrogate, if you want to have children. It costs considerably more, so do save up the money starting now if you think this would be a viable option for you.

that being said, there are people for whom having a child is the last thing they want, in fact they do not want it. and that is fine. it's not a prerequisite to having a great life. it is totally cool to not want children.

there are many kinds of tubal processes, so you can talk to your doctor about the various sorts. there is the cut, blocking the tubes with some irritating plastic that creates a scar barrier, clamping, and a variety of methods. some of them go through the cervix and in, and others are done laparoscopically, and in most cases both pain and scarring are minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                If you don't want babies, then I'll take yours. I'm feeling fatherly instincts these days like you wouldn't believe.
                Do you want mine? My son is 22 and my daughter is 19, and the novelty has definitely worn off.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                  i felt the same way until i was 31, when i just "felt ready." *but* i also prepared for 5 years to make sure i would basically be ready if i did feel ready. my husband and i felt "ready" on the same day, same moment. and, it has been great.

but you do have options. because of the complications due to diabetes, you can still decide to not have a biological child. You can adopt, or have a surrogate, if you want to have children. It costs considerably more, so do save up the money starting now if you think this would be a viable option for you.

that being said, there are people for whom having a child is the last thing they want, in fact they do not want it. and that is fine. it's not a prerequisite to having a great life. it is totally cool to not want children.

there are many kinds of tubal processes, so you can talk to your doctor about the various sorts. there is the cut, blocking the tubes with some irritating plastic that creates a scar barrier, clamping, and a variety of methods. some of them go through the cervix and in, and others are done laparoscopically, and in most cases both pain and scarring are minimal.
                  Thanks.

Comment

I don't want children either, but I'm also pretty young. Still, I have never wanted children (even as a kid). My husband (31) accidentally fathered a child before me and while we both love her, he doesn't desire any children in the future either. He has said though, that if I change my mind he wouldn't keep me from it.

We've discussed getting my tubes tied as well, but as we're each other's only sexual partners we're far more likely for him to get snipped than me.

Comment

Because of essentially raising my own siblings and my mother, I don't want children right yet, but I do eventually want them. Kind of feels like I'm taking a break between batches of kids, but I'm also takng care of doing and enjoying things I never got the chance to back then and enjoying time as a proper adult (not a kid forced into the position). We're aiming to start having kids around when I turn 30, which seems like, given the current trend, it'll be the right time.
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

I'm a week off 29, and unless my brain alters itself dramatically in the future, I'm never having kids. I just don't feel this big gap in my life which I have to fill with children... I have more than enough to fill my time with, having kids would push out some of my own goals and I have no desire for that to happen. I could quite easily list fifteen or twenty reasons why... plus I just don't like the little oiks!
                        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                        Blog
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                          Do you want mine? My son is 22 and my daughter is 19, and the novelty has definitely worn off.
                          lol. I love my kids.....*and* I totally understand.

Originally posted by jqbancroft View Post
                          more likely for him to get snipped than me.
                          +100,000 on the vas.

Definitely the wtg imesho.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Childlessness is AWESOME!

People without children report enjoying their lives more.

I don't want to pay for children, so no thanks. I have better things to spend my time, and money on.

Comment

Somedays, children are the last thing on my mind. I'm fairly young at 25 and my gf and possible long term life partner (not sure if we'll ever "tie the knot" as it just seems like a waste of money, at least right now, I'd rather spend thousands of dollars traveling with her than on some ceremony neither of us really believe in at least in a religious sense, but if she wishes to have one of course I'll go along with it) is only 24. Neither of us are ready to take care of anything besides ourselves and continuing our relationship, we also have other life goals that would be derailed by having kids. Even pets is an iffy subject at the moment.

Other times though, I feel like I want to experience life fully, and that includes being a parent, grandparent, etc. I DO wish people overall would chill out on procreation, so as to have less people around in general, so I fully support anybody that doesn't want to make kids of their own. My gf and I have talked about adoption, mostly stemming from her insecurities regarding pregnancy and childbirth. I think I'd be okay with that, but my selfish side also wants to see what our kid would look like. Haha.
                              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X