Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My husband AND best friend are going to give it a try!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband AND best friend are going to give it a try!

I'm so excited, and trying not to show it too much to either of them (nothing worse than an evangelical who thinks they've just won )

My friend has commented a little bit over the months about my renewed health and remarkable change in physique. But a few days ago, she wanted to know ALL about it, and was so interested she said she'd love the book for Christmas. I was already getting the cookbook for her husband, since he's an avid meat eater, so it'll be the perfect set. I am hopeful that several of her niggling health issues will be resolved and she'll feel a ton better.

My husband has been going along with it about 75% at dinner when he mostly eats what I eat. But breakfast is Bran Flakes and toast, and lunch is often sandwiches. He's incredibly thin (6ft2, 150lbs) so no weight issue, but he's fed up of sitting down after meals and falling asleep feeling lousy, particularly when I'm there obnoxiously alert

I think the tipping point for him was that I made almond flour pancakes last night for the first time, and he realized that they tasted better than the normal pancakes. Haven't broken to him yet about the maple syrup though....

So, the summary is: if there are people around you who you think would benefit from this way of life, be patient.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Title is soooo misleading.
    Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
    Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
    LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
    HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
    TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
      Title is soooo misleading.
      Oh god, you're right!!!!!!!!!! Hope that wasn't freudian!
      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

LOL kcult.

I knew what she meant!

Exciting news, lizch, and you're right --- a comely modesty is called for during this transition.

Comment

That is GREAT news, Liz!!
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

That's awesome, Liz. My husband has been through a lot of diet nonsense with me, so I'm just quietly going about my primal business and keeping lots of bacon in the house, which he loves and I only bought sparingly before.
            Last edited by TornadoGirl; 12-12-2010, 10:58 AM.
            True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
            The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

^ Yes, same here. My husband has seen me follow one extreme to another ir to diet. Though for the past two years I've been slowly transitioning into Primal. I just didn't know it
              Bacon is the key. Once my husband realized there would bacon and steak, he's been much more supportive of my new "crazy" diet.
              Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Yep, bacon and steak are definitely the way to go. I've got a yummy primal meal cooking and he won't even realize it's primal, bwhahahaha!
                True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
                The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

The title reminds me of a recurring dream I have

Seriously though, that is awesome news. My man is about 80% as he will cook primal, but cannot resist bread and dessert when out at restaurants or other people's homes. He always feel crappy afterwards, but hasn't been able to make that 100% commitment. That's so cool that your husband and friend have.
                  My Journal

Comment

I would guess I am around 95% compliant, but I had a bowl of my wife's broccoli soup last night and because she didn't have the volume of broccoli she thought it should have, she threw in some white potatoes. I ate a bowl of it and followed that with a large handful of red grapes. today was the first time in a while that I had to actually poopie at work.

I hope your husband and best friend can hang with it and are not caught "cheating."
                    Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                    Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                    LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                    HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                    TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

I would suggest Walden Farms syrup for his pancakes. It's zero gluten, zero carbs, zero calories. And, very very good.

Comment

that is a chemical slurry! metabolically, worse for anyone than sugar.

in the alternative, consider 1. decreasing the maple syrup to just a certain amount and let him be; or 2. provide an alternative that tastes better.

in regards to two, whenever i make them for others i make whole whipped cream (no sugar) and also a berry compote or some sort of fruit topping without added sugar. it's usually more than sweet enough for most people. strawberries and bananas sauteed in butter so that they break down into a bit of a sauce. this goes a long way for people who might prefer pure sugar.

i had a friend over for brunch over the weekend, and served eggs (fried in butter), salad (huge salad), and primal pancakes made with coconut flour, etc. i served it with coconut cream and butter-sauteed orange slices with a ginger rub. she *loved* it. so, it can be done in a lot of ways.

i grant you, for anyone truly, truly, truly low carb, this would be a rare meal, a treat. but as a transitional process for people who are not on board, there you go.

or you could just let him be responsible for his own diet, and let him have the syrup.

Comment

Oh, he's definitely responsible for what he puts in his own mouth. He doesn't need to be very low carb and he has less of a sweet tooth than I used to. He'll adjust to raspberries on his pancakes just fine He hates coconut, though, so anything in that line is out. He can stick with dairy for now.
                          Liz.

Comment

yeah. i mean, whipped cream without adding sugar is really good. i add a bit of vanilla to it (for people not used to real cream), and it works out very nicely. if you 'stew' them into a sauce, he'll probably like raspberries even more.

Comment

My husband is diabetic and we have found that maple syrup does not spike his blood sugar. We did a test just the other day in the morning before he ate anything else where he checked his sugar, ate a tablespoon of maple syrup and then tested again about 15 minutes later. His sugar level went up only 10-15 points. It stayed within the normal range. If he had done that with sugar or honey, his reading would have soared through the roof.

We tap our trees in the spring and boil our own syrup so maybe it's not as concentrated. (I'm afraid I'll burn it...) I don't know.

So we don't view maple syrup in the same category as other sugars.

Comment

Working...
                              X